Author Topic: Another shanty in progress  (Read 4786 times)

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another shanty in progress
« on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:32 PM »
I have been stocking the recent shanty builds going on and making progress on mine in the mean time.  I wanted to post more photos earlier but never got to it.  Mine is a 6'x8' build. Mostly 2"x3" framing with 2"x4" in the corners and roof joists.  I'm up to getting the 1" insulation in the roof and need to get the tin on the roof hopefully tomorrow.

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Another shanty in progress
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I won some money playing fantasy baseball this year and I have decided to build the shack with the money I won.  I know every shack needs to have a name and I thought that the shack name should resemble where the money came from.  I have a few ideas already but am interested to see what other can come up with.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:53 PM »
the shack looks great. coming along nicely. :thumbsup:

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I won some money playing fantasy baseball this year and I have decided to build the shack with the money I won.  I know every shack needs to have a name and I thought that the shack name should resemble where the money came from.  I have a few ideas already but am interested to see what other can come up with.

Free Fantasy Fishing Palace
7th Inning Stretch
The Dugout
The Bullpen
Winter Winnings
Best of 7
Shanty of Champions
World Series of Frozen Snot
Managers Office (my fave)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Excellent start Line Dropper, you really seem to be headed in the right direction. By any chance, would you have a guess on what your final weight might be? My current build is the same size as yours, 6' x 8', and I am a little concerned on the total weight and if my arctic cat will have enough juice to pull it around to my honey holes.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Looking great man, I can't wait to see the final product.

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Looks great! My suggestion for a name is either "Fishketball" or "Deep Catching."
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:26 PM »
You're shack is looking good. 

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2012, 10:48 PM »
I like the name" managers office" too that's good.  Im hoping the shanty doesn't end up weighting much more than 400 lbs but I'm not sure where it will end up.  As of right now I can pick up half the shanty by myself and my 500 foreman can tow it around the yard without any effort.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Looking nice!

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2012, 03:25 PM »
I was planing on using tin for the roof but I found this stuff and decided to use it.  A 48"x79"piece weight 18 pounds.  It's called 'Ondura' I had to cut it down so I think I got the 3/4 of the roof done for 25lbs.  The web site says it can handle winds up to 200 mph.  It is also a green product made from recycled 50% recycled asphalt material.

Let me know if you have used this and how it has lasted.

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Looks great ! How are you planning to get it to and from the lake ?
---- Joe ----

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2012, 10:02 AM »
i work for a landscaping company so getting a trailer is not going to be an issue.  We also plan on moving it with our Foreman 4wheelers.  We are hoping one will get it moved but have two just in case.

Offline low277

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2012, 05:52 AM »
I like the roof material!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2012, 07:07 AM »
The Ondura roofing sheets should work well, I am considering using the same stock. Weight wise it seems like a great addition and durability is a must. Good call.  :icefish:

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Looks like your dog is ready to go..  ;D

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2012, 05:10 PM »
My dog Lilah has not experienced snow yet.  I'm excited to get her out of the frozen lake.  I didn't get to do much on the shanty this weekend because I spent the weekend at a hunting camp.  No luck with the deer.  I did get some weather barrier up to try to keep the ply wood dry from the upcoming storm thats coming. I am waiting for my buddy to get the tin from his work to get the sides up.  I'm hoping to do that next weekend

Offline markova

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2012, 10:00 PM »
What is the roofing material under the ondura? I'm also planning to use the ondura roofing and was wondering if roof sheathing is necessary. Do you see any problem with strapping across the roof trusses and screwing the ondura to the strapping? On the other hand, probably more sturdy with sheathing. What are your thoughts?

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2012, 05:28 AM »
How about "the home base"
Or the slugger or name it one of the first names of the player that helped you win.

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2012, 01:01 PM »
the roofing has 1" insulation under it.  I decided not to use any sheeting under it to try to keep the weight down.  I finished the roof before the Super Sandy storm came by and the roof held up great didnt leak and im glad i used some hurricane straps to keep the roof in place.

Thanks for the name ideas i still have one in my head i like but im intrested to hear what other thought

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2012, 01:04 PM »
ill post another photo later of the roof on the inside.   i put 2x4's between the truses and they help hold the insulation in place and gave me something to nail the roofing material to.

Offline markova

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2012, 12:25 PM »
I saw it at our home depot and I think it's perfect for a shanty roof...should stand up to frigid cold, wind and snow load. Just starting a 6x8 and will also use 1" insulation on roof between trusses. Good idea on the extra blocking for fastening the roof screws and agree that sheating is not needed. I'm planning on a small wood stove and wonder how easy it will be to cut a hole for the vent (could vent horizontal and up if need be). I'd like to see finished photos.

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2012, 11:16 AM »
I've been making some progress on the Fantasy Fish Shack. The past few weeks but have not gotten to updating the photos till now.  I have the shack wrapped with tyvec and have half the inside insulated with 1"hard foam board.  The roof has been completed as well, I finally got the ridge vent nailed down properly.  My favorite part was getting the windows installed.  They open like a pocket door and slide into the walls.  They were made out of .25" plexey glass.  I also got the inside set up going.  In the photos you can see I got two 4' benches on each side of the shack with a half table in front of the window.  I'm not sold on the half table yet still taking suggestions if any one has one.  I wanted to leave the second have of the shack open for storage and place for the dog to lay.

Any suggestions

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2012, 11:59 AM »
Here are a few photos of the windows I installed.  I notched the 2x3 so the windows will sit in side the notch.  I then added a little bit of molding to help the window in place and keep the play to a minimum.  Also thought the molding would help keep the wind from getting in the shack.  I also kept the window more to the inside third of the stud so when the window is open it will slide past the insulation

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Nice job on the windows ! I like !
---- Joe ----

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2012, 08:57 PM »
Your idea on the window was a slick idea for sure. Hmmm, makes me wonder about mine now, lol.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:02 AM »
No worries that snow/ice would build up in the bottom slot of the window frame causing the plexiglass to freeze in place and not move?  As a suggestion, put some form of knob on the window to make it easier to move if it should glog up?
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:20 AM »
looks nice, i am jealous

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:22 PM »
ill post another photo later of the roof on the inside.   i put 2x4's between the truses and they help hold the insulation in place and gave me something to nail the roofing material to.
Hey Line dropper, I have a couple questions on your roofing material (Ondura). I am going to have a single slope roof and I was curious how you layed out your framing to ensure you had a good surfact to nail the ondura to. A picture would be awesome, and did you cover the roof with plywood underneath the ondura?

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:08 AM »
I like the idea with the windows, one day Ill get time to build a permie...
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.