Author Topic: Retractable Flooring / Carpet  (Read 6294 times)

servocam

Retractable Flooring / Carpet
« on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Was looking at flip-overs today and was thinking it would be nice if there was a retractable floor/carpet like a awning / window shade.  Thinking bolt to side of sled, pull out, has pre-cut out holes (of cut your own) Anyone know of such a thing?  Maybe a dumb idea, what do you think?

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Retractable Flooring / Carpet
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Well a couple of problems, if it gets wet, you'll have a frozen piece of rolled up carpet,  if it's a rubber or plastic type material, you can rest assured that's what you'd be landing on.  Maybe just throw a couple pieces of coco mat on the ice. 

servocam

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Well a couple of problems, if it gets wet, you'll have a frozen piece of rolled up carpet,  if it's a rubber or plastic type material, you can rest assured that's what you'd be landing on.  Maybe just throw a couple pieces of coco mat on the ice.

I was more worried about mold than getting frozen - you forget to unroll and dry out.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2011, 12:28 AM »
I think a couple indoor outdoor mats would be just as handy and you can bang on em to get the ice out. Would be nice to beable to 'SEAL' the ice out though.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2011, 07:35 AM »
I use the Microbial excersize puzzle mats from WalMart. They are foam squares 24" X 24". I think it takes almost six to do the inside of my eskimo. Have them already cut to size with 3 holes layed out. Fish On!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Was looking at flip-overs today and was thinking it would be nice if there was a retractable floor/carpet like a awning / window shade.  Thinking bolt to side of sled, pull out, has pre-cut out holes (of cut your own) Anyone know of such a thing?  Maybe a dumb idea, what do you think?
I like the idea but I think costs would prevail. What about snaps like in the newer boat where the carpet can be removed?
Fish on!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:53 AM »
a roll out would be nice if you didnt move the spot of the shack and were not in and out of the shack all day....but since we are in and out all the time and moving the mat would eventually get covered in snow and ice and become heavy and unable to roll up......Nothing beats a 2000gram pair of boots.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:02 AM »
I guess I'm not really sure what the need for a whole floor covering would be. I think it would get sloppy and troublesome. I do know a guy who throws a square of carpet under his feet to help keep them warm.

servocam

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Right now I use a few 3x6 outdoor rugs.

Offline little bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:49 PM »
Try the outdoor welcome mats.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:12 PM »
The mat's work fine, you get the large ones and cut them down so you have one solid piece.

I have considered using plywood, a tri-fold design like a wallet using the long hinge strips, then I could pre-cut my holes in it and just fold it up and lay it in the bottom of the sled.

Without a mat or somekind of floor, my heater melts a "pond" in front of itself and makes a sloppy mess when your franitcally trying to escape and chase the flag thats up!!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:25 PM »
FleetFarm sells a "Shack Mat" made by Drymate for I think $27 (product # 70091).  It is for hub style shacks but could be cut down to fit a pull over.

I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:26 PM »
I've been looking at the same thing this year in my two man Frabill.  I'm going to take a sheet of 1/4 or less plywood and cut two sheets to fit in the bottom of my sled, then hinge them and cut two holes.  When I shovel off the spot for my shack, I can lay the wood floor down.  When done, fold it up and put back in the sled.  Also, it it gets froze or full of snow I should be able to take it out and give it a couple wacks to clean it up some.  Should be fairly light as well, I will post some pics as soon as its done.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

servocam

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2011, 03:30 PM »
I figure I better ad some more info as very few even read nor responded to what I was asking for.  Right now, I have a Clam 6x12 Command Post hub-style shelter.  I currently use a few 3x6m' outdoor rugs to cover the floor.  I will be trying this year some of the subfloor squares (2x2 plywood top, raised plastic bottom. 

I am lookiing at buyng a flip over, and this would also work for my hub, I was seeing if there is such a thing as retractable flooring like a lamp shade.  It makes a big difference getting your feet off the ice.  If there was such an invention, it could be integrated in to your flip over to easily and quickly cover the floor.  As brought up, weight and freezing up will be a killer, more so the freezing up in the housing than the weight.

Thanks,

Offline gotcrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:43 PM »
I was also looking at the Mills Fleet Drymat also.  Looks kind of pricey for what it is. 

Here is the link to the description:  http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-shelters-furniture/drymate-shack-mat

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:41 AM »
I use the Microbial excersize puzzle mats from WalMart. They are foam squares 24" X 24". I think it takes almost six to do the inside of my eskimo. Have them already cut to size with 3 holes layed out. Fish On!
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:44 AM »

Like this idea. I'm going to use two pieces for a mini floor(keep feet off ice) with my flip over shanty. Light weight,waterproof and insulating. Bought the Gold Gym 4 x6 at Walmart for 19.99. Enough for three floors.
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:16 PM »
anyone have a problem with the walmart golds gym mats freezing to the ice??

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:31 PM »
The mat's work fine, you get the large ones and cut them down so you have one solid piece.

I have considered using plywood, a tri-fold design like a wallet using the long hinge strips, then I could pre-cut my holes in it and just fold it up and lay it in the bottom of the sled.

Without a mat or somekind of floor, my heater melts a "pond" in front of itself and makes a sloppy mess when your franitcally trying to escape and chase the flag thats up!!

Check Jasons floor mod out here----->http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=153087.msg1496808#msg1496808

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:49 PM »
The rollup sounds like a great idea if there's a way to make it work.
I tried the plywood with hinges.  Didn't work great for me.  The treated plywood is so dang heavy!  And even with hinges they don't fold perfectly flat and take up more space than i wanted.  Was also a bit of a pain sequentially, becuase the floors fit best on bottom of sled.-
1- get to spot,
2- set up shack,
3- take out every bit of gear so you can get the floor out
4- move all gear outside of shack so you have a spot to set up floor...then move gear back into tub or onto floor. Same problem packing up- everything has to be moved outside in order to pick up floor and pack into bottom of sled.  It works, just not very convenient.
In the end i bought a Plastic floor made for a 5x6 suitcase style, goes under my 6x8 hubstyle only if i bring my 4 yr old.  For myself in my Nannook, i just gave up and got good boots.  might try to use one of the plywood folders i now have, or something like a carpet, or rubber car mat that rolls up nice and would fit on top of some other gear.

Offline DadDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:08 PM »
 I've been considering putting a floor in my hub shanty so my five year old stays dry. Thanks for the ideas. Some I've had, but nice to hear what others are trying.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:16 PM »
I say warm boots with toe warmers  also stock up on handwarmers for you and you kid .. I swear by toe warmers and think a dollar to insure warm toes is well worth the investment..also will keep hand warmers..and avoid brutal windy sub zero forecasts.. no fun for little hands and feet ::)

Offline bigtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:47 PM »
I might try one of these ideas, ended up with 1 1/2" of water in the hut today. beer cans were floating around like in a leaky boat! haha plus my camera got wet, not good. maybe bring a bilge pump to stay dry, lol

servocam

« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Has anyone ever tried some of these 2'x2' Dricor's?  Wood on one side, this on the other - was thinking could make nice overnight floor for my 6x12 hub

Offline DadDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:36 PM »
 The little guy and I never have a problem getting cold. Its keeping gear dry with the heater on. Heck even I drop a mitten sometimes and if your wet, its cold. If my little guy can stay dry we have more ice time together. That's our goal.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:49 AM »
I think incorporating these two ideas will be the deal. Dricor panels as was suggested.---->

with Jasons tri-fold design---->

Pics are from this post , addressing the same problem---------------------------------------------------
------------>http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=153087.msg1496808#msg1496808

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Yeah that floor looks great.  My bi-fold wood floor didn't turn out that nice.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:17 AM »
I think incorporating these two ideas will be the deal. Dricor panels as was suggested.---->
(Image removed from quote.)

with Jasons tri-fold design---->

Pics are from this post , addressing the same problem---------------------------------------------------
------------>http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=153087.msg1496808#msg1496808

And cit that floor in half!! No need for a floor over the holes. Just enough to get your feet off the ice. JMHO
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

servocam

« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:49 AM »
This is what I have been thinking for a good floor in my hub.  My son wants to spend the night on the lake.  I figured putting down a floor will help heat it.  What do you think?

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:32 PM »
wow! Didn't realize this was going under a 6x12!   :o 

May not be the same experience, but since you asked...I think you could rent a sleeper for a lot less hassle, and probably the same cost.

Sounds like a fun trip for father/son either way, and that floor will help heat it.  When i put the 6x5 suitcase floor under my 6x8 hub (basically the same design you've got going on a larger scale) it is noticeably warmer and dryer in the tent.  Do you plan on hinging them 3 across?  You may have a problem with the floor being unlevel depending on the amount of snow you have.  With the bi-folds i put down, they didn't line up quite as neatly as a tile floor.  Basically faced with either hinging them nicely horizontal, or nicely vertical, but the other direction won't look as neat as your diagram.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.