Author Topic: how much good ice is needed  (Read 1622 times)

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
how much good ice is needed
« on: Oct 12, 2011, 09:37 PM »
to get a converted pop up camper ice shack on the ice?

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how much good ice is needed
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Really depends on how  you plan to tow it on, sled/quad or truck.  I like to see 8" before I take the quad out and over 12" before the truck goes on.
Blake from Elbow

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2011, 01:00 PM »
When I had a converted popup, I pushed it out on 6" by hand and back to the launch the same day. When pulling behind my pickup I wanted about 16" of good ice. My pickup weighs around 7,000 lbs though.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2011, 10:14 PM »
so i live in WI would you happen to know on avrage when there is at leas a foot of ice on an avrage lake? iam just extreamly anctious because this will be the first year i have ever had a permi. and in all this will only be my 4th year of hard core ice fishing. all answers are apreciated a lot .

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:03 AM »

General ice thickness guidelines.
For New, Clear Ice Only
■2" or less - STAY OFF
■4" - Ice fishing or other activities on foot
■5" - Snowmobile or ATV
■8" - 12" - Car or small pickup
■12" - 15" - Medium truck
Remember that these thicknesses are merely guidelines for new, clear, solid ice. Many factors other than thickness can cause ice to be unsafe.

Checking ice thickness
No matter what you are going to do once you get on the ice - like fishing, snowmobiling, skating or even ice boating, it’s a good idea to contact a local bait shop or resort on the lake about ice conditions. It’s also important to do some checking yourself once you get there. Several factors affect the relative safety of ice, such as temperature, snow cover and currents. But a very important factor is the actual ice thickness.

Other things to keep in mind when checking ice.
Ice is seldom the same thickness over a single body of water. It can be two feet thick in one place and one inch thick a few yards away due to currents, springs, rotting vegetation or school of rough fish. You need to check the ice at least every 150 feet, especially early in the season or any situation where the thickness varies widely.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:12 AM »
X2 surf, as always you hit the nail on the head...they are only guidelines. Only onece have I been on ice and felt unsafe, on Canadice lake. The ice was barley 3 inches, we drilled a hole and measured then turned and got off the ice. I hope that's the closest I ever get to going through the ice.

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:19 AM »
If the info helps just one fellow IS member from taking a dunking or worse, it is well worth it !

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:32 AM »
Well said Surf

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:34 AM »
I will fish on 2 inches of ice. with that being said, the spot if fish early in the year is only a foot to 18 in. deep. Me being 6' 3" tall, I feel totally safe doing so. but that chart surf posted is a very good guideline right up to the pickup. I wouldn't drive my truck on 18 inches of ice. I need at least 28-30 in. for that.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:44 AM »
My converted popup shack I put out on usually about 6" inches of ice

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:13 AM »
I'm never ever the first person to drive a vehicle on a frozen lake and I wait until there is an established trail from other vehicles. Last year there was about ten inches of snow on the ice the when I went out and even with other pickups and wheel houses on the small lake, I walked out and drilled some holes before driving on it. Every year I see people drive onto a lake that no one else has driven on with no concerns for anything.  :unsure:

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:17 AM »
I hear ya Ice Dawg. The crazy ones where you're taking it easy on a wheeler looking for holes and you seen them in their car or truck come whipping across the ice at 80 mph.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I hear ya Ice Dawg. The crazy ones where you're taking it easy on a wheeler looking for holes and you seen them in their car or truck come whipping across the ice at 80 mph.
When I see this, the first thing that comes to mind is how would they get stopped if they see open water ahead? :cookoo:

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Second thing is "Crap! this is gonna mess up my day of fishing playing search and rescue." Either that or Bugs Bunny is driving and the vehicle will drive over the ice

surflizard

« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2011, 11:05 AM »
We had one, Moron is such a harsh word, I'll use Mental Defective, that will work ! Anyways, this MD drives out on to the lake with out bothering to check it, Snap, Crackle, Pop, Blub, Blub, vehicle on the bottom of the lake ! One week later, after being warned repeatedly, same trick, Snap, Crackle, Pop, Blub, Blub, same result ! Pretty lucky MD If you ask me !!

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Wow. There ain't words for that ignorance.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2011, 11:29 AM »
2 years ago i watch a chevy blazer go through 3 feet of ice. He was the 4th vehicle in the convoy going about 60 mph which in turn created waves under the ice and I guess he hit an air pocket and down they went into 30 fow. The guys barely made it out before the vehicle went through. We went with our sleds and picked the guys up and brought them back to where we were fishing and gave them dry cloths and they sat around our fire waitng for the EMTs to arrive. They never did get the blazer out and now it is structure. I guess they couldnt afford a helicopter or some huge barge to go retrieve it. And because they could not get it out the insurance company would not cover them.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Wow. Takes all types. That's why I have no problem walking or riding the wheeler or sled out. But I won't take a vehicle of mine on the ice. I'll ride with someone else. LOL. But not mine.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2011, 03:46 PM »
My son and I walked about a half mile out on the ice one day and we had 14" of clear hard ice. There were others scattered across the lake and about ten cars parked on shore. A guy walked out to where we were, lookled down one of our holes, walked back to the parking lot and drove out to the middle of the lake. Suddenly there were people walking back to the parking lot from all over and after a while my pickup was the only one not on the ice. It's like I said, I'll never be the first one to drive on a frozen lake. We had my truck on it the next day though.  :o ;D

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2011, 07:41 PM »
At least you have a brain Ice Dawg. Common sense seems to be more of a luxury these days. It's like they don't give it out with every newborn. You have to ask for it or something.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2011, 06:32 AM »
I love you the common sense statement! I agree always let someone else be the first to drive out. I will drill a test hole or two most of the time in the first week of driving on the ice.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2011, 10:26 AM »
There are those that say that thin ice is mother natures way of culling the herd. I think thin ice is just one way of acquiring common sense for some folks. My son and I drove onto a lake and there were vehicles scattered all over the lake at the time. As we got a small distance from shore he said he didn't like the way he could hear the ice cracking under the truck. I told him there was a reason for the ATV on the trailer and we used it for the day. When we got back to the pickup someone had dropped into a slush pocked fairly close to it and had to be pulled out of it. Slush pockets are one thing that really spook me, but seem to be common when there is deep snow on the ice. Just one more reason to stay on an established trail.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Yup. All comes back to common sense and just being aware of your surroundings

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Remember that 1" of black ice is = to 6"of white ice.  I will fish 2" of black ice. I am 280 lb.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I cant remember where I saw it on here but it was last year sometime.  Someone posted a quote that has stuck with me since, this may not be exact but it was something to the affect of, ice has a learning curve only second to fire.  The more I thought about it the more sense it made and has stuck with me.  We can never be to safe! :tipup:
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2011, 01:21 PM »
It all depends on the body of water, the ice and how well you know the lake. I have no problem walking on 1-2" of clear ice and weve pulled shacks on with half tons on as little as 7" but there is a very fine line you can cross and you need to excercise extreme caution. @ 7 inches water shoots out of ice holes like a geiser when you drive past them in truck, pretty wild.

I would safe 6-8" would be a safe bet for an ATV or sled, 10-14" for a light truck. That does not apply to crossing the lake or going anywhere near creeks/river mouths/springs.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:07 AM »
Respect the ice and she will respect you

surflizard

« Reply #27 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Disrepect the ice and it will kill you !

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:36 AM »
She can be quite spiteful.......

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 20, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Especially early ice - i ALWAYS wear a life jacket under my carhartt. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.