Author Topic: shanty  (Read 3362 times)

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
shanty
« on: Aug 28, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Hi,
so this year I'm thinking about buying a shanty (1 person), what's the lightest shanty on the market?
here's some more info on how i fish that might help answer the question.  i don't have a quad or snow mobile, so i got to drag, carry everything.
my gear contains: a small sled, 6 gallon bucket with rods and etc inside and hand auger.  usually fish with another person so have to add another bucket to the sled, so far it all fits on a sled, two buckets and auger.  shanty will be for 1 person, i guess to warm up and so on, i prefer to sit outside anyways.
Also, i drive a sedan, so it has to fit into a trunk.
on-line i saw pacshack but looks like it needs to be carried on the back, and Fish Trap Trapper 1 person that comes with sled.  was thinking to remove or not buy the seats that come with it, not sure how it comes, but to save on weight since i use my bucket anyways.  does the trotter fit into a trunk of a sedan?  does anyway know?  also, with seats removed in the trotter, will two buckets, auger fit including the shanty itself on top, i guess it somehow collapses.  if there are other shanties on the market or ideas that you feel are available, please let me know.  thanks

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: shanty
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2011, 05:22 AM »

That a tough order to fill, becauce of your vehicle. You can get Shappell Rover, it is I believe its the ligutest, & you can put it in your trunk but you'll hve to bungy the trunk hood.  Good luck ???

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2011, 05:50 AM »
Not sure where you are located but you should find a place where you can go look some of the shanty systems over.  If you are not going to use the shanty for the comfort of fishing, maybe the pack-shack would fit in your sled to "pulled out on the ice.
Good luck finding what you are looking for.

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2011, 05:55 AM »
 This unit from Eskimo would get the job done for ya, it has everything your looking for and I'll bet you can pack it all in the car !

ESKIMO ICE FISHING VALUE PACK 69801
 The Eskimo value pack allows you to get the best ice fishing gear all in one convenient package. It includes the best-selling QuickFish3 pop-up portable and two folding chairs and a travel cover for quick transportation. With ice anchors and the shelter’s durable fabric, you’ll never have to worry about the outdoor elements spoiling your fishing experience. And "it all fits in the included sled for great portability". Everything you’ll need for your ice fishing expedition is right here in this affordable value package.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2011, 07:41 AM »
This unit from Eskimo would get the job done for ya, it has everything your looking for and I'll bet you can pack it all in the car !
 (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
ESKIMO ICE FISHING VALUE PACK 69801
 The Eskimo value pack allows you to get the best ice fishing gear all in one convenient package. It includes the best-selling QuickFish3 pop-up portable and two folding chairs and a travel cover for quick transportation. With ice anchors and the shelter’s durable fabric, you’ll never have to worry about the outdoor elements spoiling your fishing experience. And "it all fits in the included sled for great portability". Everything you’ll need for your ice fishing expedition is right here in this affordable value package.
live in NYC, dont really have stores here that sell ice fishing equipment, thats one of the problems.  cant check how stuff looks prior to buying.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Reeds has packshacks on sale for about $60. They fit in the trunk and you can get a Roll Up Gear Sled to pull it on the ice with. Probably a good way for you to go.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2011, 11:46 AM »
live in NYC, dont really have stores here that sell ice fishing equipment, thats one of the problems.  cant check how stuff looks prior to buying.
Take a trip to Cabela's in E. Hartford Ct. it's only a couple of hrs. away, go w your friend to help w/gas ;D

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Did anyone on this site try to make their own flip over shanty?  Somehow mount a shanty to their sled or even better - make their own flip shanty that attaches to sled.
Was thinking about that idea today at work. Somehow use maybe camping tent poles or those tents that spring open, no need to put together. Lol.

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2011, 07:16 PM »
It has been done, the frame mount bracket is faily straight forward, The old 3 arm canvas tent frames and tent would do the trick if you wanted to build one ! the trick is finding the tent !  :roflmao:

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2011, 09:34 PM »
http://www.shappell.com/rover10shelter.html

this looks pretty hot, looks like its the smallest on the market and there's an option to buy without the bench.  need to measure car trunk.  so far looks promising.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2011, 12:38 AM »
I own both a Pac Shack and an Eastman IceCube.....both of these would fit your requirements.  The Pac Shack is by far the easiest and lightest....you can lay it on your sled and pull it, or wear it on your back like a backpack.  The only reason I bought the Ice Cube is to have more room for more people.  My suggestion....buy the Pac Shack !!

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2011, 02:44 AM »
might have to do some mcgivering, i kind of want all in one i guess, sled that fits buckets, auger and shanty but also fit into my trunk, as it seems too much to ask.  i'm thinking about maybe mounting the shanty on a smaller sled.
i wish there was a write up about making your own flip over shanty.  i kind of have a picture in my head of what i want and how, but get lost the next sec, lol

what i was thinking was to use camping tent poles, not sure the exact material they are made from, fiberglass i assume, but they are light and strong, never had one break on me and i've been camping for dozen years.  problem is, i havent been building anything for that many years,

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2011, 03:00 AM »
might have to do some mcgivering, i kind of want all in one i guess, sled that fits buckets, auger and shanty but also fit into my trunk, as it seems too much to ask.  i'm thinking about maybe mounting the shanty on a smaller sled.
i wish there was a write up about making your own flip over shanty.  i kind of have a picture in my head of what i want and how, but get lost the next sec, lol

what i was thinking was to use camping tent poles, not sure the exact material they are made from, fiberglass i assume, but they are light and strong, never had one break on me and i've been camping for dozen years.  problem is, i havent been building anything for that many years,

btw, i noticed you're from Long Island, NY, I'm from Brooklyn,
if you dont mind me asking, where do you ice fish, as i nothing really freezes in Long Island, at least not to my knowledge.
or do you drive outside NYC?

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2011, 05:52 AM »

this looks pretty hot, looks like its the smallest on the market and there's an option to buy without the bench.  need to measure car trunk.  so far looks promising.
The Rover is probably your best bet, trying to make your own might be more costly than you think espeacialy trying to keep the weight down. You might think abouting some kind of roof carrier on your car instead of the trunk.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2011, 06:18 AM »
Looked into it already, its $200 for the roof rack
Bigger problem is i live in apt building and parking is not by the house all the time and lugging it back/forth will be a killer.

I think solution is: buy a house on a lake and buy a quad. Lol.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2011, 04:25 PM »

Now your on the right track! ;)

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I used to drive a small sedan, 4 door mazda. HATED IT WITH A PASSION, but it got great gas mileage compared to my truck now.

What I wanted to say though is do your back seats fold down? In my old car I used tp fold the seats down so I could fit my gear in the trunk.

I have a 1 man flip Frabil Recon DX that is nice and light and I fit my bucket, lantern, auger, vexialr, heater and BEER in with plenty of room for more.

You seem to be like me, I primarily use my shanty/sled for hauling my gear and for warming up when needed. I tend to hole hop most of the time in search of fish and only use the shanty when I get onto a good area and I dont want everyone to know lol   ;D Anyways Im getting side tracked. My point is the recon is fairly small and fit in my car with the seats down and its light and portable with plenty of room to get your gear on and off the lake.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Shappell 1.0 is only 42#....it's the biggest reason I like mine ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Shappell 1.0 is only 42#....it's the biggest reason I like mine ;D

On their site its lissted as 44.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 2011, 06:48 PM »
On their site its lissted as 44.

I still say 42#.............. ;)

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2011, 06:58 PM »
My buddy has a Honda Civic and I have a Chevy Cavalier.  We drive these vehicles on our trips to save gas.  We both have Shappell Ice Shanties and Jet Sleds.  We lay the seats down and slide the gear on in with all the other crap we lug out on the ice.  Works out great for the both of us.  Hope this helps.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2011, 11:37 AM »
I got a 7 series bmw, seats dont fold, unfortunately.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2011, 12:07 PM »
I got a 7 series bmw, seats dont fold, unfortunately.

hich and trailer lol  ;D
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Wont work, this neds to be locked in car

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2011, 05:40 PM »
It measured 32 X 45. This is what it looks like in a mercury mountaineer. It takes up about all the space in the back
even after I folded the 3rd row seats down.
Greg

Fish on!

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 03, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Looks nice but unfortunately it wont fit into my trunk.
Plan B is to maybe modify it somehow, get smaller sled maybe and somehow attach the top. Dont know.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 03, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Ok,sounds like you live in an apartment. So about your only option is to get the smallest available, keep it in your apartment, put in your trunk the best you can, strap it down and go fishing. You don't have to many other options :(

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Sep 03, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Right, problem is that it doeant fit.
You guys think its possible to mount pak shack on a sled? Lol

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 03, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Well, i ordered HT 1 person sled shelter for $120.
If it doesnt fit, which i dont think it will, i'll try to rig something.
Hopefully this thread can rest in peace.
Thanks for everyones help, especially Greg.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 04, 2011, 09:26 AM »
No problem! Hope you find something that works for you!
Greg
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.