Author Topic: Team Wild by Otter  (Read 11169 times)

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
Team Wild by Otter
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:00 AM »
I just bought the Team wild 1   One man flip over, and put it together yesterday. All I can say is Awesome! Plenty of of room for even 2 people if you add a cushion extension to the bench. I have a bucket cushion that fits perfect to add length so 2 people can sit comfortably. The square poles slide nicely and the push pins line right up with no headaches like the round poles can give you. The sled is really heavy duty and comes with a travel cover. The only thing I can see that may be a small hassle is getting to the gear in the sled. The bench flips right up but I may have to flip the shelter up to be able to flip the bench up. But as far as the unit itslef. I gotta get it a good 4.5 stars without even having it on the ice yet. I also mounted the 1 inch more forward than what the directions say for bucket storage behind the bench. The was just enough room to flip the bench without hitting the main frame poles. Also none of the hardware broke when putting it together! That's right  ::)  ;D I just had to rub it in a bit

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Team Wild by Otter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:42 AM »
That's great to hear WOA!
Ordered my Wild 2 man last Thursday, hoping it's here today after work, but expecting it next week.
Glad to hear the good review. Talked to a fella on Wilhelm that had the 3 man & his review was about the same as yours.
I'm pumped! ;D  :icefish:
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:57 AM »
I just bought the Team wild 1   One man flip over, and put it together yesterday. All I can say is Awesome! Plenty of of room for even 2 people if you add a cushion extension to the bench. I have a bucket cushion that fits perfect to add length so 2 people can sit comfortably. The square poles slide nicely and the push pins line right up with no headaches like the round poles can give you. The sled is really heavy duty and comes with a travel cover. The only thing I can see that may be a small hassle is getting to the gear in the sled. The bench flips right up but I may have to flip the shelter up to be able to flip the bench up. But as far as the unit itslef. I gotta get it a good 4.5 stars without even having it on the ice yet. I also mounted the 1 inch more forward than what the directions say for bucket storage behind the bench. The was just enough room to flip the bench without hitting the main frame poles. Also none of the hardware broke when putting it together! That's right  ::)  ;D I just had to rub it in a bit

How about a few pics with it up and down. Im considering ordering one and would like to see how big a pain that might be with the gear and bench....

Offline Hilts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I picked up the wild 2-man last year.  For the price, I love it.  Lots of room with the bench seat.  I have fished three adults in it before, but you better be friends cause it’s a little tight ;).  The bench seat adds a good bit of weight.  So when walking out on early ice, if I am by myself, I pull the bench out and bring a chair. 

Make sure you put something underneath to keep the sled off of the ground/ice if you are going to be dragging it.  The first weekend I had it out, I was walking through some rough pack ice and took a big garf out of the bottom of the sled.  I now have ski’s mounted to the bottom with 2” stand-offs.  Pull much easier and it protects the bottom of the sled.  The tub isn’t as heavy duty as I would like, but again for the money I love it. 

I sprayed the bottom skirt with silicone so it doesn’t freeze down to the ice too bad.  It doesn’t take a whole to put a hole in it if it gets froze down, so you just have to be careful.  I also had some fraying issues on the bottom of the skirt after ice freezing to it a few times, so I folded strips of duct tape all the way around the bottom and was good to go.  I also used duct tape around the top edge of the sled to cut down the draft from the gaps in the canvas clips where thed attach to the sled.

If you are going to be fishing in high winds either beef up the bracket that the poles pivot on or put your back to the wind.  I had glare ice and had to leave the shack hooked up to the wheeler and face the wheeler into the wind to keep from blowing away.  So the wind was hitting the side of the shack.  25+mph gusts and the brackets were starting to bend on me.  When I got home I cut a piece of 1 ½” flat steel and bolted it to the outside of the bracket for a little reinforcement.

I know I listed a bunch of negatives but for my first purchased shack, I do love it.  It has treated me well so far and I have had it out in some rough conditions.  And if you are on a budget, it’s a great way to go.  You just have to treat it nice and it should last a long time. 

FYI if pulling it in slush or rain with a sled/wheeler you might want to water proof the travel cover.  It will leak like a sieve right onto all of your stuff when  water or slush pools up on top of it.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I will try to get pics tomorrow and post them. I'm loading my gear now and have room for everything including buckets, 1 round 5 gal. and a square cat litter one that really fits nice in it. I just sprayed it down with silicone water proofing also, I added 2 battery operated touch lights that I stuck velcro to so I can put them anywhere I need them to see. I also tested the bench to see if I could lay on it if I was night fishing and needed a cat nap. Just fit but no room to move , and I'm 5'11" and over 200 lbs. I may not want to come home tomorrow now..lol

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 03:47 PM »
OK, here are a few pics. I forgot to get one set up on the ice though because everyone was checking it out and I forgot by the time we started fishing. I love this thing. The bench seat doesn't fold up unless the shanty is up, but if you pack your gear right, there is no problem getting what you need anyway. My wife and I fit comfortably in with plenty of fishing room.

With the travel cover

Uncovered and almost packed, You can see I still have room for more gear

This is set up in my mud room, I will get one on the ice though and one inside for you guys

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:12 PM »
I have the 2 man and love it as well.

only issues i have are the bench not opening without opening the shanty.  The other is my canvas on the backside corners seem to always come unhooked from the sled.  I also added the otter skids on the bottom which made pulling easier if not using sled/4-wheeler.

I am 6'5 275lbs and i find the bench a little uncomfortable after long periods of sitting.  So with the bench issue mentioned earlier and my discomfort, i may try something different next year for seating....plus i'd like to have a space between the seats for beverage, camera, etc.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:07 AM »
Otter does make swivel seats for those sleds also. I may put them in mine down the road, but right now I have no real bad issues with the bench seat.

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:08 PM »
sure hope I can find a team wild 1 when the income tax refund gets here  ;D

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Went fishing with my buddy and his little girl today, it was the maiden voyage for his new wild 1 that he got last week. Plenty of room for him and his little girl. He liked that when folded down the skirt didn't drag on the ground.

Offline TwoBears

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I got the wild 2 last year and also found the seat to small, replaced  the lower bench seat with 3/4 plywood seat and set it on 2X4 so it will lift up with the tent part down. I used the brackets and original seat back, makes the shelter much more comfortable.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.; ~Henry David Thoreau

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:51 AM »
I've been using the Wild1 all season and have been loving it. For the bench seat I just put it where I thought it would be most comfortable to sit based on my height. Think I have mine a couple inches back from you since I didn't think a bucket would fit either way in the back. Just made sure I could get any of the gear I wanted to fit in there (heater, marcum, tackle, etc.)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:52 AM »

how much does it cost?
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Picked mine up at fleet farm during a sale for $279+tax. I did break one bolt during assembly, but it was replaced quickly and I used one I had on hand until it came in.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I'm lovin mine also

Plenty of room inside for 2 men, even though it's labeled 1 man

Offline HAmmer32261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:06 AM »
Love this shack so much more room than the frabil recon i sold

put up a video on it       

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Love this shack so much more room than the frabil recon i sold

put up a video on it       

Looks good.   I wonder why they made it so you cant lift up the seat unless its popped up..............

Offline HAmmer32261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Looks good.   I wonder why they made it so you cant lift up the seat unless its popped up..............

Not sure Revpilot, would be nice to be able to do that.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:37 PM »
I bought one as well yesterday...already assembled even!  It's the same house except the canvas is all black, and it has a swivel seat with aluminum bracket.  They made several for another company, such as an outdoor outfitter, to 're-brand' them with their name.  Very similar to the ones Gander Mountain did with Clam.  I got it for cheap because it was a left over, and they had several of them.  The canvas is all black and the sled is all black, but the cover looks just like yours.  I'll get pics tomorrow too, it's one heck of a one man that's for sure.  I also bought a Wild 3 as it was part of the same left over deal, all black and with swivel seats.  Couldn't pass it up, too good of a deal!!  Here is a pick of the Wild 3 from outside the other day.  I took the plastic swivel seats out and put my boat seats in...that house is about 6' across!

Offline jvanhees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:36 PM »
I WANT ONE....what do the 1-man's usually run?
Ducks Unlimited - Huron Valley Chapter

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Most of the time $299, but I've seen them as sale for $279.

Offline HAmmer32261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Most of the time $299, but I've seen them as sale for $279.

wow thats cheap i thought i got a good deal at $320
i bought mine in october probably should have waited  :-\

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:44 PM »
I bought one off of Sportsman's Guide for that price. I didn't realize Fleet Farm at them and bought one there for the 299 instead and cancelled my order with SG. A week later Fleet Farm put it on sale so i brought my receipt in and got $20.

Some of the smaller one mans are a little more portable, but you get so much more for your money and the quality is second to none. Plus their Customer Service is great as well

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:56 AM »
Does the whole shanty fold down into the sled so there Is nothing sticking out?

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:05 AM »
They poles fold down onto the rails of the sled. (Not inside, but close to)

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:00 AM »
So the poles aren't sticking out past the "rails" of the sled? Thanks for the info.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:14 AM »
Nope. As long as the rods are collapsed it folds right in there and is the same dimensions as the sled. (maybe with the slight added thickness of the canvas)

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Just thought I would chime in too on this topic mostly because I am so very pleased with my Otter Wild 2 man.  Got it on Friday and fished in it for the first time on Saturday.  My son and I had plenty of room...being able to stand up inside and stretch was really nice.  I would strongly recommend looking at this product if you are in the market for one.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Just reporting back...first weekend I've fished out of it.
Top notch shanty, sturdy & sets up fast. A little heavy on the uphill, but no complaints here.
Fished 3 out of the 2 man yesterday without much trouble.

One note to anyone putting a new one together...
don't put the seat too far toward the hinge point or you'll have an interference fit when you try to flip the seat up.

I cheated it as far as I could & can fit a 5 gal. bucket behind the seat,
but when I flip the seat up it just grazes the frame uprights.

Had to do away with my rod holder set-up on the bucket because it would never fit behind the seat.
So my solution to hold the rods...cheap berkley rod holders with broom holder clips for the handles.
But, big bumps or falls out of a blazer can cause them to fall loose.
I ended up wrapping with a couple bungee straps during transport.

If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:21 AM »
Brilliant idea....hmmm...now you got me thinking!  Thanks for the post!

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.