Author Topic: Mods to Portable Almost Complete (Lights, Seats, Stereo, Storage...) with pics  (Read 15280 times)

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well, after a lot of thought, many hours working on it, and a bit of money - my buddy and I have almost completed our modifications to my portable (Eskimo Eskape 300). Here is what we did:

LIGHTS - I ordered two 18" long LED strips from besthongkong with the intent of putting them on the overhead poles like I have seen a number of people do. I was a little leery of running the wires through the poles though, it seemed like eventually it could lead to problems. I also decided that these things were almost too bright to be looking at. After staring at my house long enough, I had the idea of mounting them to the bottom of the seat rail. I think they will work out great. They give off plenty of light to light up our holes, and wont blind us from our seats.

STEREO, FAN, WIRE BOX, & TUB LIGHT - We needed a spot to make all of our wire connections, so we (mostly my buddy) built a box that mounts to the back of the seat rail, and it also houses a car stereo and a computer fan on the top of the box, and a light on the back to light up the sled for when we need to grab something. My portable is not insulated, so we are hoping the computer fan blowing up will create enough air flow to cut down on condensation. The stereo also has an input for our iPods. We ran the wires for the speakers, and antenna on the bottom of the storage tub under the seats.

Eskimos have a large rain gutter like storage area under the seats. We utilized that area to mount speakers on each end. Mount the battery. And placed the toggle switches to turn everything on right in the middle of the seats.

Battery Mount & Left Speaker

Toggle Switches

BOAT SEAT

The bench seats that come with the Eskimo are not real comfortable for big guys like us, so we are going with boat seats. We took the cover off of the existing bench seat, removed the padding, shortened the board a little, recovered it, and mounted the boat seat on it with a swivel. The seat will still flip forward to allow access to the storage tub underneath. We still have to add a seat on the other side, and we will be done.

HOIST

Finally, we needed a better way to store the house when not in use, to keep it out of the way. I ordered a canoe hoist from Amazon that is rated for 125 lbs. We tried hooking it directly to the eye bolts on each end of the sled, but it was flexing the plastic. So we ended up building a carriage for it and attached chains to the hoist to raise it up.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
I think that is a great mounting position for the lights, let us know how it works out.  I also think the wires through the poles would lead to problems, that is why I have never done it myself.  Boat seats are the way to go...I removed the plastic seats in my Otter and put my big man camo boat seats in there.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
Nice way to store it Keep the Mice away from it and out of the way of the Wife and kids way Cool  :tipup:

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
sweet setup!

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
That looks great let us know how it works and if the fan blows enough to help keep the condensation down.
When are you going into production? 

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Very, very nice mods indeed!!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great work!!
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Nice job to you and your buddy!

You guys will be styling out there this season. Pimped out portable!

JIGGIN.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 :clap: :clap:  Great Job....

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks everyone. He hasn't posted in this thread yet, but my buddy just joined the board as well, so welcome to The Ice Shanty Puggie.

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
sweet setup man!!! i like the lights and the deck. have you tested to see how long the battery will fun the cd player?

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm also curious how long that battery will run your sterio. I need to rig something up that runs a sirius radio so I can listen to the football games. I'm thinking a battery to run the sirius and using the dewalt 18v jobsite radio. Nice job on your setup

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
Yea very nice set up!   :thumbsup:  I use my boat battery for radio,lights and camera and after  6-8 hours outings haven't lost more than 1/2 power.  It would be interesting to see how long a small battery lasts

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
We haven't had it out on the ice yet since these mods, but should be soon. I will let you guys know how things work out, particularly the battery. It is a Vex 9AH battery. I am planning on having a spare battery ready as well.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice mods, I have been thinking of doing something similar with mine, lights, toggle switches, radio.  But I am going to take mine one step further I think and compartmentalize it with rod holders, a place for the vex, cooler, heater, tackle boxes, etc.  That way you don't have stuff rolling all over the place making a mess.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bout the only thing missing is a hot tub!!
Sweet.

Offline Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular
One h--- of a job guys!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Very Nice!

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline oc

• IceShanty Rookie
Nicely done!! The location of those LEDs is gonna be great I'm thinkin, alot better than just overhead.

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like that stereo setup a lot.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISH NAKED!! *S.E. OHIO*
i was wondering how the battery held up with the radio?  i got a cd player mounted in a small dinner bucket/ cooler for work and was wondering about adding wires and a battery for my ice fishing adventures.....

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
i was wondering how the battery held up with the radio?  i got a cd player mounted in a small dinner bucket/ cooler for work and was wondering about adding wires and a battery for my ice fishing adventures.....

Worked pretty well. I can't give you an exact length of time, because there are quite a few variables (lights, fan...), but I was out a couple of times that it lasted for at least 6 hours or so. Only once did I ever need to switch over to my 2nd battery, and that was the night that I camped in the portable on the ice, and it was about -15F.

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISH NAKED!! *S.E. OHIO*
Good deal, thanks for sharing your mods. I will probably add a light to mine too and the fan couldn't hurt. 

Offline wyatt_8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice looking lights Gordo.  Wondering if you had any issues with shadows with them mounted at that level versus overhead? 

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice looking lights Gordo.  Wondering if you had any issues with shadows with them mounted at that level versus overhead?

No, they are very bright and run almost all the way across the sled so that there is enough light even with two sets of legs in front of them that shadows are not a problem.

Offline wyatt_8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Gordo, that is exactly what I was wondering and great to hear.  It looks like a much more straight forward setup than overhead. 

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Those are some sweet mods. The hoist for your garage is pretty sweet too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.