Author Topic: Lantern or Rope Lights??  (Read 4306 times)

Offline ihavethetools

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lantern or Rope Lights??
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Thanks for the link. Gonna go check them out right now.  I like the amount of light i see coming from them. Did you install a switch ? How long do you think they would run on a spare LX-5 battery ? I know they are new lights to you guys, but maybe someone that has used led's might have an idea on how long the battery will last.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #31 on: Nov 11, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Steuben your right, Thanks for posting the link.  I just installed them so im not sure on how long a battery will last. I use my boat battery and run 8" auger, radio sometimes, camera and lights. Last year I used 12 volt christmas lights strand. Worked OK but not bright enough.Never ran out of power. I got 2 on the back and middle hoop, 1 on the frount and 1 under the lip out side the tub to light up my feet and the mat. in photo on the right side I got switches to run each hoop of lights so I can have any ones on that I want. Ran my wires (speaker) up through inside each hoop so there is no tangled mess. They dont get hot so I attached them with hi-tec method. Black elec. tape! so far all the playing around in the garage it has been flawless, just like stock but brighter. You can see the light from the unter tub mount on the floor in this photo. As it is you can read a book inside with no problem. I dont think it needs to be any brighter, I do have a extra switch in case I need more. Hope this helps

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 11, 2010, 08:30 PM »
From what I read in this thread a few guys have had a good experience with besthongkong, and that's great....but I have read on many other forums quite a few complaints, enough for me to say just be cautious.  I hear they have some of the best lights, but if something goes wrong with your order it sounds like you are SOL....anyway.....I prefer to use a lantern and/or headlamps.  I actually have a larger coleman gas lantern (bought in the early 90's), and a smaller propane top lantern (given to me 2 years ago without a globe).  The last time I put mantles on it were a few years ago (never had an issue), and I have never had to replace a globe.  They are actually more efficient than most think, I've had the same 1 gallon can of gas for years, just ran out this summer actually.  I bought some cheap $12 headlamps that are brighter and longer lasting than my friends $50 pro night vision what have you's.  I use all of them year round too.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Yes there is a divider. There is an inch hole in it that lets enough light into the storage so you can see at night.
you can see this box and others under the post  MY FAVORITE LANTERN BOX.

Thanks michiana.
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 13, 2010, 12:59 PM »
if the choice is flexible rope lights, my advice is, the more effort you put into the installation, the more you will get out of them. i have four strands, two on each support bar lit up in the pic. the pic is looking through the back door of a trap pro. you SHOULD/MUST "aim" the lights. i used clear packing tape to attach each strand. one thing to help aim the lights is to set up the shanty and make pencil marks on the support poles with arrows or dots pointing to the middle of the fishing area, where you want the light. once you take the pole off its so easy to get disoriented as to which way is front/back and what angle you want the light to shine. so thats why you need to mark the poles. then set the poles on a table, power the light strand up, and attach the strands to the poles with the lights on. the light beams should match the direction of the arrows you mark when the shanty is set up. first find the center of the pole and the light strand, and work your way out to each side. also make sure you can access pole locking buttons. also make sure all power points are on the same side of the shanty for your power supply. almost forgot, also mark out where the tabs for the shanty fabric attach to the poles, leave that area untaped so you can slide the tabs between the light strands and the shanty poles.

this year im adding reflectix to the roof of my shanty, it should be even brighter.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2010, 09:11 PM »
very nice hardwaterfan :thumbsup: I may try the reflectix also

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.