Author Topic: A few new portables  (Read 4754 times)

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
A few new portables
« on: Aug 13, 2010, 06:30 AM »
I was just checking out Reeds and they have a few new houses from Clam (flipover and pop-up) and maybe one or two from Frabill on thier site. Check 'em out.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: A few new portables
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2010, 04:23 PM »
I see Reeds is showing the 2010 models, but Clam's page does not have any thing yet???
Like the new pop ups.
Always something cool.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2010, 06:23 PM »
I wish Clam would bring back the old Scout. These new flipovers just keep getting heavier.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Thats so true.  Love my first gen. scout...still works super!

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2010, 10:24 PM »
I can tell you that the new thermal command post from clam has my name all over it! I will be getting one of those for sure! $130 more dollars and 24lbs heavier than the non-thermal one but I don't care. It'll be a party on the ice! I almost picked up a non-thermal one last year but I figured I would wait and see if they would come out with a thermal. Clam can't make everyone happy but they at least did me!  ;D

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2010, 10:31 PM »
I have a Clam Jr., pain in the butt to set up.  I still use it, but I out grew it (put on a hundred pounds since I bought it) 3X5 is a bit tight on me.  I use the aluminum frame, but am thinking about making a new frame out of pvc.  

I can't (or shouldn't) complain to loudly.  It still keeps me warm with my little Black Cat heater, keeps the snow off my neck, and wind out of my drawers.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:25 AM »
Reed's is pretty cool!! :tipup: So is Thorne Bros.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I talked to clam corporation and they are bringing back the old sleds :thumbsup:
I'm definetly getting a new pro TC!  It was a toss up between it or scout TC...decided I wanted the extra elbow room over my older scout.  Can't wait for the hard water.
]

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:08 PM »
I can't speak for everyone but Clam Corp sure seems to be listening to it's customer! Hat's off to them!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I agree!  I didn't like their new sleds mainly cause you can't fit 2 kenai' s or kodiacs in the back of a short box truck but the pro's and scouts you could.  I figured that I would have to hunt down a carry over on ebay or a used one. Its like they read my mind...cuz I even insulated my top on my old scout last year. Cant wait for the end of September to get one headed my way.
]

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2010, 03:26 PM »
New Pro TC for me!! :tipup:

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2010, 04:08 AM »
I cant wait to get a better look at the new houses in person. On a side note, Reeds had a new Frabill "Pro" (don't remember the model number), but it looked like it was fully insulated and was pretty spendy for a one man flipover being in the $450 range. But it is no longer on thier site... ??? ??? ??? ...nothing on Frabills site yet either. And for some reason I cannot access Clam Corps page, maybe they are in the updating process?

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2010, 06:17 AM »
I was thinking about upgrading from my Frabil Ranger XL Twin to the new Predator I saw this spring. I'm really glad I
didn't. I liked the deeper sled and larger frame tube design, The frame locks were easier to manipulate. But, just like
someone posted ealier about the Clams being heavier, same drill with the Predator. I really noticed the increase in weight of it versus my Ranger ! Oh well, the Ranger has served me very well for 9 years now and because I'm really dilligent about taking good care of her, she will most likely be around for the long haul ! ;D It is awfully hard to resist the newer, better, faster, stronger products that come out every year.  :'(  I'm sure that I will find something that I
just have to have sooner or later !  ;D I really have to be careful, because as the wise man once said, Most ice fishing gear is made to catch fishermen, not fish ! :roflmao:

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2010, 06:35 AM »

surflizard

« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2010, 08:28 AM »
Thanks a lot Mushroom Cap, I'm stuck in the basement replumbing and now all I can think about is that Frabil suit ! ;D   :roflmao:

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Why waste the money on the suit that dosent float? IDI ALL THE WAY!!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2010, 11:36 AM »
I wish Clam would bring back the old Scout. These new flipovers just keep getting heavier.
Remove that factory seat assembly and use a foldup and you will save 14 lbs.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Thinking about the Frabil suit and buying it are 2 different animals icephishwyo. ;D I also really Like the IDI suits as well, But I will wait and see if the lack of venting issue that I've been hearing from some IDI owners gets sorted out before I plunk down any cash !  ;D

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2010, 09:22 PM »
Will the new Pro TC have one piece poles like my Scout? I see they are the same length, just wider. :tipup:

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Aug 24, 2010, 07:46 PM »
the old pros have extending poles  due to the scout and pro using same sled scout length wise, pro width wise

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Clam's website has the new models....nice stuff.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2010, 03:34 AM »
that reeds site is really cool
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2010, 08:25 AM »
I was just taking a look at the insulated one man house I had mentioned before. $500?  :o OUCH!!! Another 1 man insulated for $750?  :o :o DOUBLE OUCH!!! Think I'll go with an insulated hub for now since these look kinda heavy to be pulling out on foot.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2010, 04:53 PM »
I was just taking a look at the insulated one man house I had mentioned before. $500?  :o OUCH!!! Another 1 man insulated for $750?  :o :o DOUBLE OUCH!!! Think I'll go with an insulated hub for now since these look kinda heavy to be pulling out on foot.

Must have been the Frabills? They are also really heavy for one mans. I think the R2 Commando is 94 and the R2 Pro is 114 lbs. I was looking at them but at that weight not sure I would want to pull it out.

Craig

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2010, 01:14 AM »
Yep! The frabill commando and pro R2-Tecs. I was really wishing somebody would make a fully insulated one man flipover last year, but at that price, it wouldnt make any sense for me to buy unless I had a snowmobile. By comparison The commando R2-Tec costs $100 more than the Clam nanook full thermal but is 10 pounds lighter than the nanook...while the Pro R2-tec is the same price as(but 20 pounds lighter than) the Clam thermal X. While I think the R2-Tec material is second to none IMHO, I would rather have more house than more insulation, but thats just my opinion. For now I'll stick with the flipovers I already have and maybe see if I can get a nanook thermal top to fit the clam guide I already have which is basically just a one man house anyway, or I'll just stick with the reflectix I already have in there now.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Must have been the Frabills? They are also really heavy for one mans. I think the R2 Commando is 94 and the R2 Pro is 114 lbs. I was looking at them but at that weight not sure I would want to pull it out.

Craig
 I was poking around the clam website and the cost for 1 and 2 man weren't that high. insulated even.  maybe time you add shipping ???
mushroom, how did the reflectix work for you? I was thinking of trying it this year

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 23, 2010, 07:35 AM »
There is no way that I'm going to afford one of the new shacks on a fixed income. 

I bought a used one, and got a real steal on it...,$50.00.  On the other side of that coin, for us in the Northern tier, where the lakes are ice covered 4 1/2-5 months (or more some years) it's our winter boat. 

Even a well used aluminium fishing boat, motor and trailer, is going to be over a grand.  AND that's how you justify the expenditure to your wife. ;D

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Sep 23, 2010, 09:01 AM »
 mushroom, how did the reflectix work for you? I was thinking of trying it this year
                                                                                                                                                       The reflectix works pretty good. No drip at all and if dressed properly I dont think I'd need a fully insulated house with this stuff in the roof. I didnt have the cash to spend on a brand new house last year so I ordered the big($50) roll and after doing my pro and guide I still had over half of the roll left. I should have gotten a smaller roll now that I think about it. Bottem line though is it definately helps beat back the cold and it not all that hard to install.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #28 on: Sep 23, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, I think im going to give it a try. Ill get the small roll ;)

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Sep 24, 2010, 05:37 AM »
Yep, no problem. Just remember tape the spots before you put the slits in where the velcro will pass through for your shanty poles. And then maybe a little more tape through the slits you've made...I had one rip out on me last year, totally my fault for not leaving enough extra. Nothing a little more duct tape didnt fix though. And if your going with the smaller roll tape the seams together with duct tape as well...pretty simple to put this stuff in. Heres a link for you to check out if you havent seen this already...                                                                                                                                              http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=153478.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.