Author Topic: Base layer clothes  (Read 6212 times)

Offline adam2369

• Team IceShanty Regular
Base layer clothes
« on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I decided to upgrade my ice fishing apparell after freezing to death last weekend even with 4 layers on. I found a good deal on a North Face fleece shirt and was wondering if anyone who wears North Face can tell me about the actual warmth and also how do the sizes run? I normally wear a large but will probably have at least one layer under it. Also looking at Under Armour cold gear mock. Any buddy have the same info for this. Thank you.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
Re: Base layer clothes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:45 PM »
If you are looking for a good base layer you ahve to get something that will wick moisture away from your body. You may start to sweat when drilling holes, chasing tip ups, or unloading the shanty out of the truck. On top of the base layer I will wear fleece or wool. Cabelas has some nice moisture wicking base layers.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I find that the best base layer is a type of wicking layer .. I use polypropelene upper and lower... Then my next layer for the bottom is some type of non cotton sweatpants like an adidas type (cloth) not the nylon type.. Them my Arctic Armor bibs.

For the top after the base layer (polyprop) i use a wool  sweater (medium weight) and then a fleece... Then my Arctic armor jacket..  since I walk and pull my Frabil recon I don't put the jacket on until i am all set up and fishing.  

And for the really cold days -5 or more I will put a goose down vest on after the fleece.

Everyone is different it took me several outings to figure out the correct combo for what ever temperature I will be fishing in.

NEVER EVER USE COTTON ANYWHERE FROM HEAD TO TOES!!  COTTON KILLS!!!

P.S.  I got my polyprops top and bottoms from ebay government surplus for like $15.00  total!  I also got the wool sweater from ebay it also was gov surplus I think it was like $10.00

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I got Hot Chillys last winter. Skiers have worn them for years, they are a heavier weight, poly fleece type. Wick moisture unbelievably, and very wind proof.
I wear my bottoms and my wool pants, Top, then wool sweater and jacket, also skier born Karbon. If it gets real cold 10 below or more, I add sweats and my bibs.
They aren't cheap, run 50.00 or so for each(top and bottom). But theres always Christmas, and birthdays and summer sales.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Depending on how cold it is, I either start off with Under Armour cold gear or for milder temps I use a Wind River base layer (Canadian)

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:32 PM »
What the others have said. ;D

Stick with polypropelene and wool. both come in various weights to use for layering.
Stay away from cotton and nylon as both absorb water.
Think thin layer, heavier layer and top layer. The top layer should be breathable and water/wind proof. (it doesn't have to be thick).
Add a good pair of warm boots and wear polypropelene thin socks and wool outer socks.

good luck
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline TOMMYPOINT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Do youself a favor and just buy a set of Ice Armour. I was the same way for years wearing to many layers heating and then freezing. I bought an Ice armour suit($249) this year and it is unreal. Wind proof water proof. It was 13 below on sunday I had on A sweet shirt, a thin pair of long johns and that suit and was more than comfortable.

Offline adam2369

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:25 PM »
Depending on how cold it is, I either start off with Under Armour cold gear or for milder temps I use a Wind River base layer (Canadian)
Hey icejunky how does the size of the under armour run. I know it is compression fit but does that mean if I buy my normal size I will still be able to breathe? Thank you.

Offline adam2369

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I currently use poly as a next to skin layer and I am looking for the next layer mostly. I had my poly on the bottom with a wool blend next then an Under armour thermal and then a wool sweater along with a pair of sweat pants and insulated snow pants and a down coat. I felt like the stay puffed marshmallow man and I still froze. Of course this was after I ran out of propane and couldnt leave because the bite was on!

Offline freezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:46 AM »
I don't like spandex or tight fighting pants, so I use high-end running pants as a base layer on the bottom.  They can be somewhat expensive, but I think are worth it.  Also I run (well for whatever reason I have been a bum lately, partially so much time ice ice fishing) so it wasn't an extra purchase.

For a top I usually just wear a fleece top or whatever.

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Adam, from your description it sounds like you have too many layers in the wrong order. If you have the Underarmor coldgear, it should be your base layer. Followed by the wool sweater, then your outer layer. 
If I wore as much as you just listed I would have been sweating. Sweating=cold.

Offline rhodyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:05 AM »
underarmour or thermals for a base layer without a doubt

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:01 PM »
cabelas thermostats long underware work for me .we have to pull all of are stuff by hand here in pa and they  seem to wick as well as my polly and are more comfy.like everyone says nooo cotton and wool wool wool.i also use the cabelas heavy weight fleece pants and top and my outer layer is their 200 gram gortex bibs and parka.have been very happy.now if i can just find those gloves that keep my hands toasty and still give me complete feel of my jiggy pole at the same time as putting my maggots on my tiny ice jig for me :icefish:

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:30 PM »
 Under Armour base level 2

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:42 PM »
I use this for the base:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076-cat601720&id=0033964980018a&navCount=2&podId=0033964980018&parentId=cat601720&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I tried underarmour winter weight or whatever they call it but it didn't work for me.  Maybe I'm too old but it was tight and it seemed like every time I moved I felt the cold more.

On top of that base I usually have a wool shirt. 

Super cold I'll add a wool sweater.

Top layer is carhart bibs and carhart winter jacket.  I did fish lake winnie in mn two years ago at 25 below in a strong wind in this get up.  If only I could have made my hands workand got the line down the hole without it freezing to the side I could have survived. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.