Author Topic: Fogged up glasses  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fogged up glasses
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I have COPD and will have to start wearing a face mask if I want to keep ice fishing. I also wear glasses so I will have a problem with them fogging up. Any suggestions on keeping them fog free would be welcome. I have an anti fogging spray (Arctic Blue ) that I'm going to try but have not used yet, so I don't know how well it works.

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
Re: Fogged up glasses
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Try RaineX

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Boy, I've yet to find anything. The transition from cold ambient temperatures to warm will create fog on lenses, and I know nothing much you can do about that. The tough fog issue comes from heat radiating off your body, meeting the coldness of the material in your eyeglasses which will create the fog. Even plastic (polyacrylate) lenses, which almost all are now, do it. I've worn glasses most of my life, and have tried about everything from spit to the dishsoap trick, However, you really need to be careful with today's coatings that they put on them, doesn't take much to ruin them. Do NOT try some of those chemicals or coatings that are out there; that from my friend the optician. I got my current ones this Summer, and they are the Crizal Sapphire lenses. They don't seem to do it nearly as bad as other lenses, and they DO shed the water and everything else just "like on TV". Good luck in your hunt.....
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:39 PM »
How about contacts, lasik??

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I wear a full face balaclava, the style with one big face opening. Just keep my nose out, glasses dont fog at all.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Try RaineX
Best read the label, put the container down and wash your hands.    Last time I checked it was not recommended for inside your vehicle.    :woot: :sick: 

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I heard guys use this ...

http://www.amazon.com/EK-10003C-Cat-Crap/dp/B002ZNA488/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt

Tried it works ok for a bit then attracts dust and grime. Repeated use actually grinds these contaminates into lenses. I'd avoid it.
I haven't found anything that properly fights fog up...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:24 PM »
My buddy is big into paint ball and they have masks with fans In them and he says they never fog maybe they make ski goggles like that.

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:31 PM »
A good pair of ski goggles and the ski shops have a wipe on wipe off coating that really works. They get heated up skiing and sure cant afford to be fogged over. I use them and they work great. cant remember the name of the coating . it is like a thin wax and then wipe it off with soft cloth. good for all day and then some. find a ski shop. good luck

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:39 PM »
From an ex XC skier: It's the air moving past your goggles/glasses that keep them from fogging up, just like your vehicle defroster blowing air. It's the sitting still that makes them fog up, as the heat from your face hits the lenses. I wish there was something that really works. I just wear sunglasses now, had the lens implants and they gave me actually better than 20/20 vision, if you can afford to go that way.
But, the sunglasses do fog up...even with the Crizal lenses.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Believe it or not, but Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo is where it is at. I played hockey in my youth, and wore a plastic shield on my helmet. They sold stuff that worked good, but it was like $15 for a 4oz bottle. Someone showed me the trick of using baby shampoo and I never looked back. It works unbelievably well. Clean your glasses, wipe on a liberal coat of the shampoo, wait for it to dry a little, and then buff it out. It worked for numerous games/practices. You should be able to find it cheap. It comes in a clear plastic bottle and the shampoo itself is yellow.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:08 PM »

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I recently saw a post on a hunting forum about using Johnsons baby shampoo as an anti fog agent.
I have also tried different things on scopes over the years, but none seem to work that well.
Might be worth a try.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Anybody have an update on the baby shampoo? I tried cat crap and it lives up to it's name.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:13 PM »
Actually, the Cat Crap stuff has been pretty good for me.  Doesn't collect dust if you wipe off the excess really well.

IMO, no solution is perfect, for reasons well stated by Rebelss. 
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline I Fish NB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:25 PM »
palmolive dish soap.wipe tiny bit on lenses,both sides. then wipe off good. will last till quite a while or until they get wet.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:52 PM »
Hand soap or dish soap has worked for years. I do my glasses & the inside of my snowmobile & motorcycle helmet ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.