The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: This used to be my favorite website. Things really Died down. What happened?  (Read 14819 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Great example of how this site continues to be valuable.  Thank you Phil!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Great example of how this site continues to be valuable.  Thank you Phil!

My pleasure. Tight lines and stay safe.

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
Just wait for this el Nino system to pass and we'll all be back into the ice fishin. Remember, the weather is cyclical and if you pay attention to it, the Shanty posts closely follow.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
dear rmoody 79, thgis surf rod was built for me in 1960..possibly brefore you were bornMy surf fishing buddy Johnny K wanted for me to leave it to himif I died..Thnis rod would cost about $650  today to build if  I wanted it now. one the reels I use with it is French...Ru-Mer...its good today as it was 54 yrs. ago

Got it Ron! I misunderstood, yeah 65 dollars in 1960 is serious bucks today, I bet that surf rod could tell a lot of stories

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shoot me a pm.  Im a big water guy but also a few days are hard to come by.  Once I get that early season pattern from a guide I can use it forever.
we know your not leaving laker land jon stop fooling yourself

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
...and to be part of a fish(horse mackel) put on the scale at Pt.Judith Coop-op...The scale read 999 Lbs. and the tail was still on the deck....that fish could bring $$$$$....the ccCoop could not handle it...and the Coast  Guard  took it beyond Block Island and dump it

Hey Ron, I can relate to most of what you wrote, but couldn’t quite wrap my head around this one. A 999 lb. horse mackerel? Sounds more like the bluefin we used to catch, commercially rod n reeling out of Harwich and Gloucester back in the 90’s. Well, not quite, my biggest was 980… Anyone remember seeing monsters like that floating in the harbor after they were found to be full of cancer?
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes FP it was a Blue Fin Tuna....Horse Mackel is what they call them up in Tiverton, Nova Scotia, my grand parents are from there.My grandfather was from a family of 8 boys. He told me when he was a teenager him and his brothers would go on a Nova Scotia Sleigh ride  in a 16 ' Dinghy with the power provided by a Horse Mackel(blue fin) . They would cut the lin e and row back.  I am from  a long line of sea faring  people, ship builders to fisherman.My greatgand father 6 times over was granted from the King of England a 50 miles of land between Digby to Westport,The last time I was up there is when  that storm 'BOB' came throgh there....Take Care  Ron

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Yes FP it was a Blue Fin Tuna....Horse Mackel is what they call them up in Tiverton, Nova Scotia, my grand parents are from there.My grandfather was from a family of 8 boys. He told me when he was a teenager him and his brothers would go on a Nova Scotia Sleigh ride  in a 16 ' Dinghy with the power provided by a Horse Mackel(blue fin) . They would cut the lin e and row back.  I am from  a long line of sea faring  people, ship builders to fisherman.My greatgand father 6 times over was granted from the King of England a 50 miles of land between Digby to Westport,The last time I was up there is when  that storm 'BOB' came throgh there....Take Care  Ron
That is some amazing history right there, Ron. Thank you for sharing. It’s an honor to virtually know you. I had thought you spelled mackerel incorrectly. Happy to learn a new word today. And that is too funny about your sleigh ride, as we used to call ours, the Sea Craft sleigh ride when we’d hook into a giant, letting the 23’ boat fight her out of the gunwale’s swiveling rod holder. Be well!!!

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spelling was not one of my high grades since I have AMD and carpel tunnel of my right handI see you you have put a modern update to a tuna ride, Gramps would enjoy hear that. it would be 125 yrs. ago for him....Take care

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Spelling was not one of my high grades since I have AMD and carpel tunnel of my right handI see you you have put a modern update to a tuna ride, Gramps would enjoy hear that. it would be 125 yrs. ago for him....Take care

Awesome! Cheers to Gramps!!!!

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks....Keep a tight line..and may all your fish be HUGE..take care

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
The early settlers around the Merrimack/Newburyport would complain about the Horse Maceral wiping out their nets around Deer Island (just below the 95 bridge). Strange to think big bluefins would run up the river that far!

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
They are after herring,,,thats what we used in the chum them in to the boat. Its like ice cream to them.........lol. Thne Japs pay big bucks for them....they fly them to Japan from our east coast....some bring $$10 grand+++...take care guys

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
we know your not leaving laker land jon stop fooling yourself

Theres musky up the lake from where I laker fish Vin.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Too many guys posting pictures of every fish they catch and also those exact same guys burning every spot they got invited to. Say what u want …. Agree or disagree! I know it’s facts as I’ve talked to many of the older guys here.  :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Too many guys posting pictures of every fish they catch and also those exact same guys burning every spot they got invited to. Say what u want …. Agree or disagree! I know it’s facts as I’ve talked to many of the older guys here.  :tipup:

Yo!

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline sounderlost

• IceShanty Rookie
all too busy hiding where they fish. blurring backgrounds on pond X ya know all the usual stuff done on a fishing site, anyone have info on pond Z ice or do I have to go check myself?

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gardner Hey

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
all too busy hiding where they fish. blurring backgrounds on pond X ya know all the usual stuff done on a fishing site, anyone have info on pond Z ice or do I have to go check myself?
You have to go check yourself. You should be doing that anyways!  You also have to go fish places and determine if they're good places to fish.
Unless you're the new generation that expects all the hard earned info collected over decades to just be handed to you? Get to know members and you will get info. It certainly isn't gonna be plastered all over the internet though. 
89 posts or comments in 16 years on ice shanty, maybe you should share more before complaining about others.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.