Author Topic: Still lots of ice last trip for me  (Read 3389 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Still lots of ice last trip for me
« on: Mar 24, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Its been a good season but gotta call it. Too many family obligations.  Time to get back on track. Wish i could keep going. Ice was 2 ft in lakes region.  Edges good. But was way slow. Not a single wp on a lake that almost always produces.  Got a few small yp and smb. I tried like hell to finish with a bucket of wp. Wonder how everyone else did ? Good luck men .

Salmonemia

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Still lots of ice last trip for me
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Next year, when the midwinter slow down happens, take care of family obligations. Then you will have time when the late ice hot bite is going on. Good luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Looks like a good week weather-wise going to hit it hard starting tomorrow hope to make up some ground for the bad year for me. Glad you had a good season.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Does anyone else have that wrench in their stomach? hate to say goodbye but its been slow going for me, hopefully one last desperation attempt next weekend, first time I will have been able to fish a two trap lake the first and last of the year. I cashed my chips in early and already regretting it, say it aint so me and my Elkhound have a long ways before first ice again.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Looks like a good week weather-wise going to hit it hard starting tomorrow hope to make up some ground for the bad year for me. Glad you had a good season.
Good luck denny you should have plenty of ice. Fishing should be hot. Go get them. Glad you are sticking to it until the end.
Salmonemia

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Good luck denny you should have plenty of ice. Fishing should be hot. Go get them. Glad you are sticking to it until the end.

Thanks Wayne. I wouldn't be surprised if we have ice here for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Thanks Wayne. I wouldn't be surprised if we have ice here for the next 2 or 3 weeks.
I hear that. Enjoy it. Definitely gonna be good ice for a while.
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:04 AM »
The last trip is always bitter sweet,ice fishing is a grind,my last trip will be Saturday. .not sure if I'm taking the wheeler,  might just do that one on foot.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:12 AM »
Yesterday was slower than normal on the WPs for us too.  We managed 9 between two of us.  They ranged from 1.5 -2lb.
 Schools weren't hanging out, they were rushing through and we'd pick off 1 or 2 on each run.

I plan on taking Friday off to fish the last 3 days on Winni.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:21 AM »
Still a great season for you Wayne. I am still trying to decide if I want to head up north this weekend for one more go at it. What to do, what to do....
Just add water.

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2019, 08:11 AM »
My last ice trip of the year, too. Winnie gave up hundreds of stunted yellows, and my first lake trout. Went to Mascoma yesterday caught hundreds more of yellows, and I lucked out with 5 white perch up to 13" .  Not the weekend I was hoping for, but I'll take it !
 You guys are lucky up there with a nice little paradise!  I saw eagles, deer, fished on 20" of ice 30 feet from open water and came back home with a sunburn : )
 Wind Saturday was B R U T A L  !

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2019, 08:22 AM »
I called it a season, slept in past 6am for what seems like the first time in months. Spending a few weeks getting the garden ready to grow crap, getting lobster traps ready and then hopefully hitting the salt for the haddock opener.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Good season Wayne. Yeah the last trip is definitely bittersweet. It seems like we wait all year, then the season flies by.
I need to get back on track as well but i'll be giving it a go for a couple more weeks.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:32 AM »
My last ice trip of the year, too. Winnie gave up hundreds of stunted yellows, and my first lake trout. Went to Mascoma yesterday caught hundreds more of yellows, and I lucked out with 5 white perch up to 13" .  Not the weekend I was hoping for, but I'll take it !
 You guys are lucky up there with a nice little paradise!  I saw eagles, deer, fished on 20" of ice 30 feet from open water and came back home with a sunburn : )
 Wind Saturday was B R U T A L  !

congrats on your first Laker, I'm sure it wont be the last.... They don't call it
God's country for nothing...Saturday was a BEAR with that wind, funny that was the only animal I didn't see Saturday, I saw a Coyote scamper across the ice in the predawn light, the eagle did a flybye around 10 AM, and I saw deer and turkeys together  with the cows in a pasture and a moose, standing on the side of RT16 watching the cars go bye on my way home, I love my striped bass fishing above all else, usually ice fishing gets me back to stripers, not this season, I will truly be sad on my drive home next Saturday... until then I look foreword to one more time!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:02 PM »
I got out today an killed it...lots of jumbo yellows that I rarely ever catch and several 15” crappies jigging with a dead shiner in 10-15 FOW on about 20” of ice.   Couldn’t get on the ice in our regular spot due to the southern exposure...
Using jaw jackers I got into some good size largemouths on a drop off and a few more jumbo yellows and a 20” slim dart that snapped my line..keeping my fingers crossed I can get 1 more trip in this weekend before calling it a season
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:16 PM »
I got out today an killed it...lots of jumbo yellows that I rarely ever catch and several 15” crappies jigging with a dead shiner in 10-15 FOW on about 20” of ice.   Couldn’t get on the ice in our regular spot due to the southern exposure...
Using jaw jackers I got into some good size largemouths on a drop off and a few more jumbo yellows and a 20” slim dart that snapped my line..keeping my fingers crossed I can get 1 more trip in this weekend before calling it a season
Sounds like a helluva trip...

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Sounds like a helluva trip...

I went through my shiners with in an hour or so and ended up grabbing a few of the dead ones off the ice to jig with. 
Probably one of my better days this yr

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:27 PM »

I went through my shiners with in an hour or so and ended up grabbing a few of the dead ones off the ice to jig with. 
Sounds like last Thursday for me, days like that don't come by very often... I didn't want to leave... hopefully Saturday is thatvway, I'm going dark to dark.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Sounds awesome. Nice work pool guy. 

Joe i wont be there so your luck should be good. Hope you limit out
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2019, 07:55 PM »
Sounds awesome. Nice work pool guy. 

Joe i wont be there so your luck should be good. Hope you limit out
If I can get where I want to.go we know it's a possibility,  wish you were going to be thete...I' already told NANCY..DON'T WAIT UP.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2019, 08:01 PM »
If I can get where I want to.go we know it's a possibility,  wish you were going to be thete...I' already told NANCY..DON'T WAIT UP.
Me too bud. Been a good winter.  Flounder soon i hope. Tell her to buy extra crab for all those crappie filets.
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Me too bud. Been a good winter.  Flounder soon i hope. Tell her to buy extra crab for all those crappie filets.
Will do, took a hard look at the boat tonight, I'm ready to switch.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:14 PM »
Great job, Bill!  :clap:
I missed ya when you went by the house!  ;)

Good luck on the salt this year, Joe.
I know that's your real Happy Place.  ;D

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:05 AM »

Sounds like a great trip Bill. Wish I was there but if I was you would probably have got skunked still have that dark cloud over me. Hope you can get out one more time.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:46 AM »
Sounds like a great trip Bill. Wish I was there but if I was you would probably have got skunked still have that dark cloud over me. Hope you can get out one more time.

It was... yeah but the company would be worth it  ;).    Like it was said in a previous post, “it’s not always about the numbers”
Next year we’ll have to see about having you an CD up for a weekend

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:14 AM »
Great job, Bill!  :clap:
I missed ya when you went by the house!  ;)

Good luck on the salt this year, Joe.
I know that's your real Happy Place.  ;D
Thanks CD,I've got one more hard water trip Saturday, weather is supposed to be almost summer like, it'll be a good day ,even if I get skunked to say goodbye to winter and turn the page ,I'm ready to float, rather than walk on water,  I will.miss the Snow Leopard  (the can am) because I won't use it all summer. It's made ice fishing a real joy..

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2019, 05:25 PM »

Way to finish strong Bill... glad you found a hot bite - good luck with the last trip...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.