Author Topic: Boil perch/ crappie?  (Read 10505 times)

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
Boil perch/ crappie?
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:35 PM »
can you just boil perch and crappie, drain and eat like poor man shrimp?  I believe as a kid we did this with cocktail sauce.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Boil perch/ crappie?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:15 PM »
This one, caught my attention! I love catching Crappies, but they are Crappy to eat (texture for me) !  IDEA ?  Do a fish boil, w/ taters ,onions, & carrots, & throw some fillets in for a minute , or so. Serve w/ melted butter & dinner rolls. BURP !  You just gave me a reason to keep some Crappies , Thank You  ;D.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:53 PM »
I like to boil in sprite...dip in melted butter..we call it poor man's lobster..enjoy

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:39 PM »
I like to add a tablespoon of Old bay to my water and put perch in water tell white and floating maybe 3-4 min. quick and easy fresh lemon and melted butter if needed.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:52 PM »
Shake a little old bay on the fillets, steam for 4-5 minutes. Drizzle with melted butter.

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:18 AM »
hey
have you tried putting fillets
into a buttered baking dish i use any butter,flavored baking spray
spreading fish out flat and your favorite seasoning
oven at 325 degrees,bake them until fish turns
snow white app 15-20 mins
they also this is known as "scampi"
then put them on a plated serve with cocktail sauce ,
wash them down with your favorite beer.
enjoy!!!  ::) :roflmao:
snowsnake

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:24 AM »
You can boil perch, gills, and crappie, but they fall apart. Boiling takes away the fish flavor. Better ways to enjoy your catch. I just boiled a few and made a fish dip for crackers. Save the cocktail sauce for shrimp..

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:24 PM »
bobberbill  u mite be over cooking your fish or to rapid of  a boil the salt n sugar help hold fish from flaking  never had perch fall apart tell I put a fork to it. 
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:28 PM »
I like to boil in sprite...dip in melted butter..we call it poor man's lobster..enjoy

X2   but I sometimes boil them in Mountain Dew with cocktail sauce.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:54 AM »
I use a strainer and dip the fillets in almost boiling water with sea salt and old bay. When they're white throughout, they get a bath in ice water then drained on paper towel. Chill em in the fridge, a spritz of lemon, a shake of sea salt and pepper.....some good home made cocktail sauce..........mmmmmmm mmmmm!

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:57 AM »
This one, caught my attention! I love catching Crappies, but they are Crappy to eat (texture for me) !  IDEA ?  Do a fish boil, w/ taters ,onions, & carrots, & throw some fillets in for a minute , or so. Serve w/ melted butter & dinner rolls. BURP !  You just gave me a reason to keep some Crappies , Thank You  ;D.
You can certainly send me all the crappy you don't want. A little Andy's seasoning fried to a golden brown yum yum.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2017, 05:53 AM »
i was just talking about steaming some fish like vegies that way no water to fall apart in

Offline Clousseau

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Steam fish until cooked but still firm. Cool in frig. Make up cocktail sauce and use with broken pieces of steamed fish from frig. Fish cocktail!

Offline jmattperkins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:44 PM »
i Just tried the "Poor Mans Shrimp Cocktail"  I boiled some fresh bluegill filets in water with salt, garlic salt, lemon pepper.  After they turned white transferred to ice water.  The meat was firm and not too bad.  Dipped in cocktail sauce and some in crystal hot sauce.  I would give it a 5 out of 10.  Not bad but don't think it will be a regular thing.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:21 PM »
After reading this when it first came out I tried it last nite.  Pretty well cooked potato's  and carrots with some salt and Old Bay  for seasoning then put the blue gills  in for about 4 minutes.  Put some melted butter and lemon juice on the fish and made up some cocktail sauce and put on the side.  I'd give maybe an  8 and will do it again.  Actually was looking for a boiled fish recipe  when I found this.  Thanks for starting the post.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:03 AM »
dice them. Get some of your favorite veggies in a stir fry almost done then add the fish with your favorite seasoning . mine is Lawry's sesame ginger. add a couple eggs mix together top with a few pieces of cheese then put it in a tortia shell and have fish burritos. Healthy and Delicious
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Perchy23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:47 PM »
steam five minutes...eat with cocktail sauce

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I had to say something about the taste of crappie. Several things make crappie taste bad.
 Mostly the lake they come from. If too much silt, the dirt gets in them and won't come out. Ponds mostly.
The other is the blood in them. I squeeze out the blood while cleaning the fillets.
Hope this helps!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Wdrnr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Microwave whole unfiltered fish for 7 min or so and flake off the bones..  you get all the good that otherwise boils away in water unless your making fish stock.  Cocktail sauce and your good to go

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:25 PM »
There used to be a product called microcrisp paper I have microwaved fish using this paper to cover them it was pretty good

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:30 PM »
I had to say something about the taste of crappie. Several things make crappie taste bad.
 Mostly the lake they come from. If too much silt, the dirt gets in them and won't come out. Ponds mostly.
The other is the blood in them. I squeeze out the blood while cleaning the fillets.
Hope this helps!
  I am a better cook, than I am a fisherman.  I just don't like the texture of Crappies. Tried several different ways & it always is the texture (mushy to me). Ticks me off, the only critter that I cant cook to satisfy  MY taste ??? Hoping to get some , to try w/ my fish boil idea , & am thinking about doing it w/ Sprite !   BTW, the fish I catch, come out of a large ,deep lake (108') .  They also average 14', ...I need to get some smaller ones ! Most of them are caught in less than 20' of water.  Glad to see this thread; So many cool suggestions  @).   
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Chilled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2017, 07:30 PM »

I do the same thing with 7up :thumbsup:
Flag up!

Offline Ketchan Raleese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Try putting vinegar in the water 1to1. I use 1\2cup vinegar 1\2 cup water and a tablespoon (or two) of old bay. The acidity helps firm the fish. Delicious!
I need a miracle... every day!

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:02 AM »
we do this all the time. the secret is not to boil. DONT BOIL. poach them like eggs. just steaming water. Then stick them in the fridge overnight and serve with cocktail sauce. will be nice and firm.

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2017, 01:36 PM »
I guess I am old school. Soak them in vitamin D or whole milk for 2 hours before cooking. Mix flour and yellow corn meal 50/50. In an old school iron skillet i head up veg oil, dip the fillets in egg, coat well with flour mix and fry untill crispy and golden. Mmmmm

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I use a strainer and dip the fillets in almost boiling water with sea salt and old bay. When they're white throughout, they get a bath in ice water then drained on paper towel. Chill em in the fridge, a spritz of lemon, a shake of sea salt and pepper.....some good home made cocktail sauce..........mmmmmmm mmmmm!

Rg

THIS

Offline Amos

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new fishing experiences.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I'll remove the pin bones, boil the fillets for a couple of minutes then season with some of my favorite seasonings.  (Lawry's seasoning salt, dill, thyme, pepper)  I add bread crumbs, mix and refrigerate for a period of time.  Then I finely dice red bell pepper, green pepper, and chives or green onions and add this to the mix.  Add enough eggs to make this mixture stick together and make patties that I fry in a little olive oil.  They're good hot or cold, and are good with some ranch dressing. 

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys....just wondering why seven up or sprite?  Flavor?  Carbonation?  Common theme seems to be not to over boil or just quick boil, poach or steam...but cool them down, refrigerate and them butter or cocktail sauce.  I'll definitely try.  Hard to beat the old beer batter style for me...but if the boil and butter makes em taste like lobster....I'm all for trying.  Thanks again...
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.