New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spikes Still Kickin!  (Read 949 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spikes Still Kickin!
« on: Apr 06, 2019, 10:19 PM »
How do they stay alive so long with out food? Mine are going on almost 5 months!   ;D

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spikes Still Kickin!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2019, 02:31 AM »
Ideal storage conditions. Low 40’s, air-tight container, dark area, NO moisture. Bottom and back of the fridge does the trick for me. Once a month I’ll check on them and pick out dead ones if necessary. Them little things hibernate like a bear. They just go dormant. (I’m not a biologist, I just hate wasting money on bait). Which works out really well come spring-time when the gills are hitting floats all day.

Kind of the same way a fly will remain in suspended animation when it flies into a cold window sill in the fall. My grandparents own an unheated  pole barn in central Michigan. One cold February day (single digits). I found a fly. For fun I held the flame of a lighter about 2 inches away from it. After a few seconds of warming up, it reanimated and flys away just to cool down in mid flight and mayday. I did that a few times. Bugs are tough creatures. Seems their only purpose is to exist  and they do a fantastic job at it. Junebug grubs are another thing that will outlive us all.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.