New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Schroon Lake ice.  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
Schroon Lake ice.
« on: Mar 20, 2006, 09:35 AM »
      I met Dan out on the lake off Fowler Road and headed toward the river,(North) end. The ice texture, noise, and river water approaching on top, made us think about another spot. The ice was 12" but grainey and the auger almost fell through.
       We moved South thoward the island and drilled 'till we found structure and fish. The drop went from 40 FOW to 70 in twenty feet and the fish were hangin' at 50-60 FOW. We jigged up some Smelt and set tips. I didn't get my second one in before I had the first flag fly. I have never seen a spool spin as fast and when the fish turned and came back toward the hole I was just rippin' the line onto the ice.
        Almost 30" of fish came out onto the ice, just as Dan's first tip flagged. A repeat of the first fish and Dan's first Laker through the ice. We caught and released another seven fish, all about the same size and it wasn't 'till almost 6:30pm before we started picking up to leave, with a plan in place to try again before next weekend.
        We ended up keeping one fish, a 22'' too damaged to release, and got on the highway by 8:00pm, already looking forward to getting back up there before ice-out. There were only a few people out on the lake at all, and most were getting flags, but it was a beautifull day even with the wind and snow squalls. hope to see y'all on safe ice, tight lines, and flags flyin'.

All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
Re: Schroon Lake ice.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2006, 11:29 AM »
Do you think your going up either Sat or Sun next weekend? I was thinking off going up next weekend but dont want to fish by myself if I cant get one of my chicken friends to go.

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2006, 06:58 AM »
      TJC, I sent you a PM. Gimme a call too if you really want to go.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2006, 07:22 AM »
Will the ice be good on Sunday?  I would like to head out one more time.  Last time, Feb, I caught seven lakers.  I need to get out one more time!

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2006, 08:41 AM »
       We'll be keeping an eye out on ice conditions and do plan on being there Sunday AM off Fowler Ave. Look for a Red '97 Dodge Grand Caravan parked there. We'll be on the ice almost all the way across and slightly North at the tip of the little bay. No quads or sleds though, we're walkin' and draggin'.
        If we can remember to bring 'em my radios will be monitoring channel #7.

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2006, 10:28 AM »
Thanks for the info Chainsaw.. Are you fishing lakers?  How much ice does Schroon still have?  I have a buddy that usually fishes with me and he'll need to know the ice is atleast six inches thick or he gets skiddish. thanks

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2006, 02:23 AM »
      We're gonna be fishin' Lakers and Salmon.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I'm heading up there on Sunday myself. I usually fish by the drop-off at the outer edge of the bay. What bait do you use??? This will be my 3rd time up. The 2 previous times, 5 flags 0 fish!!!!!!!! My fishing partner caught them all. Hoping for a better day this time. Good Luck to you........
     Kim  :tipup: :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2006, 07:52 PM »
Man, I would love to go, but I don't think it will be a go, unless I can get the old' lady out on the ice for our anniversary...I mean hell, the last time of the year icefishing is more important right :D
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.