Author Topic: "Don't Eat Fish from Pasuqa"?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
"Don't Eat Fish from Pasuqa"?
« on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:29 PM »
I was told this weekend that you are not supposed to eat any fish from pasqua as they will make you sick. Anyone know how true or not this is?

Offline motocross127

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: "Don't Eat Fish from Pasuqa"?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:04 PM »
I have eaten about a dozen walleyes from pasqua this year with no side effects. But I also throw all the fish I find with growths on them back.

Offline motocross127

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:25 PM »
I would really like to know what the growths are, I caught a 6 lb eye yesterday that was covered with them . only see the growths on walleyes  and not jack or pearch.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:30 PM »
There was an advisory out in the summer not to eat any fish from the qu'appelle lakes, don't know if its lifted but last couple years they had the advisory not to eat anything it was lifted once the water cooled down right before first ice. Haven't heard nothing about this years warning since late August.

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:39 PM »
I heard the same during the summer. So far have eaten lots of Wallys and Jack from Pasqua this winter.

Maybe because they pump sewage into the lakes, I have no idea.

The way I see it is, it can't be any worse than eating beef, pork, chicken that have tons of anti biotics and growth hormones pumped into them or treated live stock feed.

Vegetables sprayed with pesticides, anhydrous amonia pumped into the ground, any of our cereal grains contain copious amounts of that, plus herbicides and pesticides.  Flour and cooking oils. Everything kills you slowly these days.

The only way around it is to build a log cabin a bit further north, hunt and fish and be a hermit.
And these days, that doesn't sound like a half bad idea. Just have to come into town once a month for a few supplies.

Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Offline maxman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Blue hog,

What does anhydrous ammonia have to do with this thread. It is nitrogen fertilizer that make protein in wheat that makes your bread that you buy at the store.  Typical city slicker that doesnt know what they are talking about.

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:52 PM »
I was just told that and wasn't sure. I heard rumors they are full of heavy metals and such but I am not sure? I fished echo this summer and eat quite a few perch and walleye with no problems at all.

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:51 PM »
FYI blue hog ridr it is illegal to give growth hormones to pork and chicken in canada and the USA, and the hormones used in beef cattle are miniscule compared to those naturally occurring in many other "natural" foods.  please don't buy into the A&W and media garbage without doing some of your own research about where our food comes from and what is used to grow our food.  I included a couple of links in case you wanted to have a quick read:

http://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/Articles/Farming-Food-production/Hormones-and-antibiotics-in-food-production.aspx#.Uq_WWLS4vDs

http://newsroom.unl.edu/announce/beef/2846/15997

http://www.croplife.ca/agricultural-pesticides/why-do-we-need-pesticides

Also, there's plenty more factual information available out there on the internet or I'm sure if you asked any proud farmer they would tell you why proper crop and livestock management is paramount to providing the food we all enjoy...

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:16 PM »
There was a high mercury level in the summer finally remembered what the warnings were actually for.

Offline Walleyeslayer306

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:35 PM »
i don't know if its just me and my family, but we find that the fish from Pasqua/Echo taste really muddy and have a "fishy" taste, whereas the fish from lml have a clean taste and no "fishy" taste ever.....usually send all my fish back when I fish Pasqua/Echo but keep fish when I go to lml.
born to fish, forced to work!

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Ooops, you guys got me on one of my rants.

Thanks for the links.

Yeah, I don't buy into a lot of the hype but I do work at a Hospital and buy into a lot of other things that I know are true.

City Slicker, hardly but we'll leave it at that.

Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:43 PM »
High algae in the summer will give fish a muddy taste. Soak them in salt water for 20 min then rinse and they taste fine. If the lake has blue algae, recommendations are usually to not consume the fish.

Offline Walleyeslayer306

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:46 PM »
High algae in the summer will give fish a muddy taste. Soak them in salt water for 20 min then rinse and they taste fine. If the lake has blue algae, recommendations are usually to not consume the fish.

I always soak them in salt water to get any blood (if any) out of the filets if I don't bleed them when I first catch them, even at that the ones from Pasqua/Echo taste muddy IMO.
born to fish, forced to work!

Offline moxcov

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:16 PM »
I would really like to know what the growths are, I caught a 6 lb eye yesterday that was covered with them . only see the growths on walleyes  and not jack or pearch.

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/factsheets/fisheries/fish_health/Lymphocystis_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Offline motocross127

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:46 AM »
That is what I am seeing on the fish . thanks for the link.

Offline Ice Tea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:21 PM »
i don't know if its just me and my family, but we find that the fish from Pasqua/Echo taste really muddy and have a "fishy" taste, whereas the fish from lml have a clean taste and no "fishy" taste ever.....usually send all my fish back when I fish Pasqua/Echo but keep fish when I go to lml.

I agree.  I have tried several things such as soaking in salt water or milk, deep frying, bbqing or baking and they seem to have what my family refers to as a mossy taste.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.