Author Topic: Tips on ice fishing crystal clear water?  (Read 2071 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tips on ice fishing crystal clear water?
« on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:05 PM »
One of my ponds is so clear this year I can watch the fish (mostly perch)  below the ice as they come up to my bait. Instead of sitting and bending over and peering into the hole directly below me (my back can't take that very long) I have found it is better to cut two holes and drop the bait into the farther hole and sit back on my ice shanty chair and watch the bait and fish in the closest hole. What's weird is even though the bait is in the farthest hole it appears to be right below the closest hole.

I must say it's thrilling to sight fish for fish but there is a downside to this clear of water. The fish are very spooky, which makes them quite finicky. Anyway, lots of fish come up to the bait and swim off or seem very uneasy. Considering how clear the water is I'm thinking they're sensing the holes above them that are clearly visible are not natural, and possibly the shading caused by the shanty also makes them uneasy.  

Anyone have any tips to make catching them easier? The bluegill in the pond won't start biting until just before dark, although the yellow perch are cruising n groups of up to 6 fish at a time all day long. Some are up to 15 inches!

I'm using four pound test but could downsize to 2 lbs. test. Not sure what else I can do. Ideas?

In case it's important the fish are about 7 to 8 feet down over 9 to 10 feet of water.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Tips on ice fishing crystal clear water?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:50 PM »

Go down to 2 lb test and go with something like Flouroclear line. Make sure you have a good drag on your reel when going to 2lb test. Don't use any connectors to your jigs/lures ... tie them on.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:12 PM »
i agree with the flourocarbon and i would also use a dropper like a number 16 or 18 black fly
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Floro for line
1 tiny split shot
1 spike (i like red ones) on a #14 hook
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:23 PM »
Two pound is a must. Once you try it you will look at four pound like rope. Get into some small jigs too, like size 12 or 14.

Holes are kind of a necessity for ice fishing. I don't think anything can be done about them spooking the fish. ;D

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:28 PM »
Use hole camoflage............. .....

make the ice look like swiss cheese, wks 4 me ;D ;D
they'll never know your there!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:07 PM »
In a similar situation I went to a fly fishing shop and got some 6X tippet material.  Tied on about 5 feet of it to the end of my 4 LB test.  Made a difference in light jig actions and success.  Try it and it could work for you too.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Here in Eastern MT we are allowed to fish out of our spearing holes, this makes for great sight fishing.  One thing I have noticed that really effects the perch is shadows.  When your fishing on clear ice, and someone walks by your house and their shadow falls on the school of perch below you, the school scatters and might not be back for 15+ minutes.  Might help to make sure your shadow doesn't fall on where you are fishing.  Just my $.02

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:30 PM »
I love fishing shallow and will fish them any time I find them! What I like to do is leave a layer of slush in the holes and just open up a tiny area to drop jig down or float a cork, this can make all the difference some days when you're fishing spooky fish in very clear water. Also sit still and if you move around.... move quietly!

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:26 AM »
Taxidermist, is the ice you are fishing snow covered? I'm guessing it's not, if you are concerned that your shanty is causing a shadow. If you are fishing on clear ice with no snow, then these fish can definitely detect that you are there especially if you aren't quiet and happen to be wearing a blaze orange hunting suit!!!! Now, if the ice is snow covered at all simply clear enough snow for just your shanty, set it up, and re-pack the snow around it to cut down on light penetration. Then close all windows and doors to block as much light as you possibly can. If you need light, set your lantern in the back of your shanty, not between your holes. Perch, expecially monsters like you describe, are generally always on the bottom, and are sight feeders. Sometimes, fishing 2 poles with waxies on one, and a minnow on the other will clue you into what they prefer to eat. One little trick my grandpa taught me, is to cut 2 holes. In one hole you fish with a bottom slammer rig only. Simply clamp your lead depthfinder to a hook and bounce it off the bottom for 30 seconds every now and then. This stirs up the bottom real good, and usually gets even the most finicky perch to start a feeding frenzy for himself and the rest of the school. This works especially well in crystal clear water like you describe, because the fish can sense it and see it from a greater distance, and will come running to not miss out on an easy meal. Just some pointers man, I don't mean to preach, and I realize that you are probably already doing some of this stuff, I just thought I'd share some of my experience with you. Show me some pics of those 15 inchers when you catch them!!!!!!!! Good luck, and tight lines............ 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.