Author Topic: Re: Offtopic  (Read 1143 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Offtopic
« on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:15 PM »
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: [Contest] Show Your IceShanty Pride!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:27 PM »
Actually I like this one better. I call it DESPERATION. This is what you have to do when the ice goes out too early! Desparate times call for desparate measures!

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline hardwaterhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:49 AM »
I feel that pic tax. NICE IDEA with the reflector on your shanty. Its been a hot topic on how to adhere reflective tape to shantys here. Ill get plastic reflectors, gorilla glue or fab. some 1/4-20 bolts on the back and wing nut with fender washers through the fabric. Could use toilet seat bolts too....those are plastic. Anyway, thanks for the idea.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2006, 08:18 AM »
I feel that pic tax. NICE IDEA with the reflector on your shanty. Its been a hot topic on how to adhere reflective tape to shantys here. Ill get plastic reflectors, gorilla glue or fab. some 1/4-20 bolts on the back and wing nut with fender washers through the fabric. Could use toilet seat bolts too....those are plastic. Anyway, thanks for the idea.

Yeah I think I tried the tape once and it didn't adhere well or came off in the cold or something. Been so long I can't remember. All I know is having reflectors is the law here and it's a d**n good idea with all the idiot snowmobilers on the public lakes. Getting hit by one while sitting in your shanty could cripple or even kill you.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2006, 08:23 AM »
When adding one of those plastic reflectors I think I would add some kind of a back ptate to the inside of shelter behind reflector so your bolts won't have a chance of pulling through

Offline hardwaterhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2006, 03:35 PM »
Ill take that into concideration as well Pike. TY

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Love the pic Tax :D

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Where are all the huge brookies  ??? ;)
Andrew

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:01 PM »
The brook trout are in a different pond on the backside of the house. Here they are a year before they got to 4 to 6 lbs. I was culling out mostly females in this picture. They are 13 to 15 inches in this picture and around 1.5 to 2 lbs. That age class has been sold or mounted by me once they got to 4 to 6 lbs. a year later.

I just planted 100 seven to eight inch mostly male Lake Nipigons this fall, after catching out all the mostly 5 to 7 lb. browns in that pond, netting what wouldn't bite, draining the pond and drying it out, and refilling. They will run 13 to 15 inches this time next year, and 18 to 22 inches the year after at 4 to 6 lbs.

Here's a pic of one of the browns I took out of that pond this fall. One of 42 browns from just under 4 lbs. to 7 lbs. 12 oz. They went from an average of 1.75 lbs. to mostly in the mid 5 lbs. range to 6 lbs in one year. 

BTW, contrary to what you may think catching the brown trout out of the ponds is not like fishing in a barrel. If they are well fed on the pellets very few will strike an artificial, nitecrawler, or minnow. What I have to do to catch them is to match the hatch. That is I have to stretch a piece of pantyhose over two or three floating fish pellets and run a salmon egg hook into the hose. (The pellets are too hard to run a hook into)  I usually place a small split shot above that to get the pellet to sink and a small ice fishing bobber above that as a strike indicator. Otherwise you can cast to your heart's content with spoons and spinners all day or use a minnow or nitecrawler and they won't have anything to do with it. And I can only catch them within a half hour of dusk or dawn. Otherwise forget it.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Here's the biggest brown that came out of my trout pond a few years ago. Just under 12 lbs. This one was in the pond three years. Now this one did hit a kastmaster after about 300 casts. I think I pis*ed him off! My neighbor who came over on a lawnmower to net it is holding the fish. Good neighborhood P.R.!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:08 PM »
wow those are some awsome pictures, I like the desperate picture.

Thats a nice pile of trout you have there too.
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2006, 12:16 PM »
Nice LOOKING :o Brookies

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:03 PM »
I didnt know you had a horse pond  ;D :o
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.