Author Topic: Crystal lake  (Read 4502 times)

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crystal lake
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Cudos to deep. They put some nice fish in crystal lake. Stopped after work today for an hour. Caught 2 bookies about 16 inches and lost a nice bow at the hole. 1 brook on a shiner. 1 jigging and the bow on eggs. Talk about stress relief after a tough day at work.

Offline kchase56

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Crystal lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:01 PM »
We spoke as I came off the ice.
I'm glad your day got better!  :tipup:

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:17 PM »
How thick was the ice ? Been wanting to take my Snow dog machine out.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:07 AM »
yeah kchase it turned out pretty good. i only set out 2 lines and did some jiggin. those brookies are some really pretty fish. i actually kept one which is something i never do but it swallowed the hook and was bleeding pretty bad. poco the ice was good 5-6 inches.

wt

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:30 AM »
I agree with you Willy.  The Deep put some nice fish in for sure.  Definitely a nice way to decompress after a crappy day of work. 
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:29 PM »
Willytrout  -- Thanks for the ice update, sounds like some nice fish indeed, glad you had a good day, Big brookies sure are a nice looking fish,  tight lines

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:34 AM »
Fishing here tomorrow, first time...

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Any info would be appreciated, on the ice conditions on Crystal lake in Ellington ?? Was hoping on fishing there this weekend and have to travel from NH , so a ice update would be  very Helpful   Thanks so much

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Why would you travel here from NH for ice fishing? Our ice is getting sketchy, you must have 2 feet or so...

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Nate Why would you answer a question with a question????? Maybe because I bought a out of state liscense  and you can keep a salmon and run 6 lines, Thanks for your help

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Thank you so much FishingPhil, I did get both of your messages, its nice to know some people are still considerate , Be safe and tight lines  Thank you
                    Gunvau

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Nate Why would you answer a question with a question????? Maybe because I bought a out of state liscense  and you can keep a salmon and run 6 lines, Thanks for your help

No problem glad to help

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:59 AM »
Any info would be appreciated, on the ice conditions on Crystal lake in Ellington ?? Was hoping on fishing there this weekend and have to travel from NH , so a ice update would be  very Helpful   Thanks so much

Gunvault, I have only fished Crystal lake once, live out of state (MA), I also have a NH license too, Laurel Lake is my summer camp. I dont think the salmon population is that large in Crystal lake doubt you'd hook up with one but you never know. I got a nice smallie there last week on a slow day. I watched a guy bounce around jigging all over the lake, talked to him as he walked off the ice said found some browns in 40 FOW near a drop off, meanwhile I had seen 2-3 flags pop up all morning for everyone else on the lake, so I think the jigging guy did better than running tip ups.

Not sure my weekend plans but if you wanna link up message me, my be chasing walleye's further south.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:27 AM »
just jumpin in on the crystal lake talk. i live close and have been fishing it for 20+ years. There is a decent chance of hookin a salmon. Ive caught several in the last few years both open water and thru the ice. There are still some big browns around and they just put some big brookies in. lots of bows also. Like any trout lake its hit or miss, but when the bite is on its great. I've drilled holes all over that place but have aways had the best luck shallow in 8-10  ft of water. Ill be there sat. right off the launch. Jiggin gets it done for me.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Hey Willy,  I caught a salmon there not to long ago.  (1st one ever)  It was 24" long, but super skinny.  He still put up a great fight and seemed healthy in every other way, just really skinny.   Just wondering if the lake had enough forage for the big fish or was it a one time thing?   All your bigger trout seem healthy Browns, Rainbows and Salmon?  Not including those pig brookies they put in.   Deep must have been feeding them Mcdonalds fries every day.  Thanks

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:04 AM »
Landlocked alewives

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:35 AM »
pikeking is right there are a ton of them in crystal. Theres no shortage of forage. I believe that is why the fish are so healthy. Last year 2 guys were ice fishing off the beach and they each caught a big brown. they were so fat they gutted them to check the stomachs. I could not believe the amount of alewives they had in their bellies. makes you wonder why they would bother to hit a lone shiner.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:06 AM »
Good to know and good to hear.  Thanks guys

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Or are the alewives bad?????...

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2019, 01:47 PM »
only if you don't jig them up and use them for bait! ;)

Offline sts2113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:35 PM »
The Salmon lose weight when they eat the Alewife’s, They will die within 2 to 3 months of stocking...

Offline sts2113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:37 PM »
When salmon feed on juvenile alewives which contain the enzyme thiaminase, it breaks down thiamine in salmon and eggs, causing a deficiency, often resulting in serious fish diseases called “early mortality syndrome” or “Cayuga Syndrome”

Offline Cjshiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:00 PM »
Are we talking crystal lake in Ellington? Because I didnt think there were alewives in there.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Cjshiz-There are definitely alewives in crystal lake in Ellington.
sts2113- "The Salmon lose weight when they eat the Alewife’s, They will die within 2 to 3 months of stocking"  Very interesting. Never heard of this.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Fished today 7"-9" of ice. One fat pickerel.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:00 AM »
I was also there on Saturday.... Wanted to avoid the people so I took the long walk across the lake.  Met Willy Trout on the way out.(Nice Guy). Nice to finally meet someone from the forum. I was warned not to,  maybe I should have listened (Willy).  Slow day got one short brown late in the morning then no flags for a few hours :whistle: .......my poor son will never go with me again.....  finally got some flags to end the day in our group around 1PM.  We left at 3:00 and ended up with 6 large mouth and the 1 brown.   No trout close to shore or just under the ice.  Caught everything out deeper just off the bottom.  Talked to a few groups on the way out and sounded like everyone was a little slow.  Good 8" on the other side of the lake.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Hey Flagup it was nice to run into you out there. I didn't slay em where i was either. did manage 1 beautiful brookie and 1 nice bass. lost a couple. the guys next to me did alright . He caught a big bow and a couple of brookies and the other guy landed a salmon 24 inches. All in all a good day on the ice. Looking at the weather this week ice should be good for the weekend.

wt

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Yup....should have listened.   Story of my life (buut, you don't know unless you try.  Atleast that's what they tell me)......Won't make it this weekend, family birthdays.   :-\
Good luck out there...

Offline Cjshiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I was out on Saturday as well. I was fishing for smallmouth towards the middle of the lake. Ended the day with 4 largest being just under 3lb.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Would I be correct that you caught those Smallmouths in very deep water?
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.