The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: A FIB trying to understand WI fishing season  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Kbank050

• IceShanty Rookie
A FIB trying to understand WI fishing season
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 07:30 PM »
So after this weekend is fishing closed for all waters? or is it mostly smaller lakes? Are there any areas where I can still fish? This is my first year in Wisconsin and I'm not sure how it works. Most online sources give unclear answers.

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A FIB trying to understand WI fishing season
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:41 PM »
There's no single answer to your question. It depends on which fish you are targeting and where. Panfish are open season all year in almost all locations. Gamefish such as bass, etc have restrictions. Start with p. 62 of the https://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/fh/fh0301.pdf#:WI Fishing Regs and then look up the specific body of water you are heading for and then when you get there, check for any posted regs at the launch site. On one lake I had to email the DNR biologist for that region to get clarification. He was a great help and very quick with an answer. Otherwise you need a Masters degree or a Doctorate to read and comprehend the regs. I have the first, but not the second and I still scratch my head at times.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:37 AM »
WI Game fish closes on all inland lakes this Sunday at midnight (It'll always be the 1st Sunday in March). Pan fish stays open all year round. Game fish on Boundary Waters for WI/MI close tomorrow at midnight, pan fish remain open.

River systems for the most part don't close for some species, as was said below, you need to check the Regs before heading out.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Don't need a degree to figure it out but it's not quite like falling off a log. Get yourself at least one copy of the current regs, that would be the 2018 - 2019 version. You can put it on your phone along with an image of your license.

Start at page 62 with the Open Season for General Inland Waters (GIW). This is the guideline for most of the state, by species and region. There are other regs for Winnebago System, Lake Michigan, Lake Michigan tributaries, and boundary waters for MN, IA and MI. Don't worry, once you get used to navigating this it'll be easy.

Many lakes are managed on an individual basis and those exceptions are listed by county, in alphabetical order starting on page 28. Look at county you will be fishing in and if the lake is not listed there you follow the schedule for General Inland Waters (unless you are on one of the other special schedules) If the lake is listed it will define the exceptions to the GIW regs.

I got a copy on my phone and PC plus five or six physical copies scattered around different tackle bags, boat(s), truck... Like American Express, don't leave home without it.

Oh, welcome to Wisconsin AND welcome to the Shanty! Plenty of great folks and lots of fun and information here. Do yourself (and us) a favor, visit your forum profile and type in a location. Doesn't have to be street address specific but a general idea of where you're at so folks can link some geography to your comments and to any advice they may want to offer.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.