The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Milwaukee Harbor noobie  (Read 1815 times)

Offline bugcaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Milwaukee Harbor noobie
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Hey guys, Michigan member here wanting to get some info about fishing in Milwaukee Harbor. I'm trying to plan a little trip down there at the end of February and I am just looking for some general information on fishing areas, parking, bait shops etc. I'm not looking for your GPS fishing waypoints, just some general areas and depths that would be worth trying. We want to target browns and steelhead if possible. Am I right to assume that fishing is good in front of McKinley marina ???

If anyone is interested in western U.P. ice fishing I am willing to give advice. Tight Lines!! :tipup:

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
Re: Milwaukee Harbor noobie
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:52 AM »
Read the Milwaukee harbor fishing reports on Lake link.  There's lots of BS on there, but if you spend a few hours and read back a few years, you'll get some decent info.  From what I've read recently, it sounds like fresh spawn sacs are the ticket, and using automatic fishermans as your rod and reel.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Be sure you check ice conditions before you make the trip. It's been a little sketchy down here especially compared to what the north end of WI and the UP look like. Harbor ice can be unpredictable at best because it's so far south and the effects of the lake as a whole.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline redmerle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:38 PM »
i have never ice fished the harbor but used to spend a good amount of time there in late august through september in the late 2000's. Lots of big browns. It was pretty impressive watching schools of 10-20 pound browns cruising around the harbor. We only managed to catch a few, but it was fun nonetheless. Good luck if you get out on the ice. I cant remember the guides name exactly or if he is still working but Eric Hataggha? is/was a pretty reputable guide at the time. Like the previous  reply stated, lake link is a good resource if you have the time.

good luck

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Eric Haataja is still guiding.
https://www.wibigfish.com

I haven't made it out there, but from my research, autos are generally considered the way to go.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Here's a pic I snagged off of Lake link.  Several people were bashing Eric about how he conducts himself while fishing for browns.  One guy posted this pic with some decent spots to try for browns.  A few hours later, all those posts got yanked off the site, including the pic.  I don't have any desire to fish for these brown trout, just doesn't do much for me.  I think the lower circle is where a lot of ice fishing goes on. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.