Author Topic: Fireline stinks for ice. Wanting to hear both sides  (Read 6434 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Fireline stinks for ice. Wanting to hear both sides
« on: Oct 25, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Okay I've really opened up a can of worms now. I do not like fireline for ice fishing. It just seems to be really stiff and not jig well. Furthermore it freezes way way too much. I don't like the way I feel the jig and that even the smallest diameters seem to slow the fall on my jigs way too much. It seems to do nothing but freeze, doesn't feel much more sensitive than mono, and I seem to not be able to feel my jig as well. Anyone else not like superline for ice fishing? Those of you that do, please tell me why you do. I'd like to hear both sides.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fireline stinks for ice. Wanting to hear both sides
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2004, 09:20 AM »
I've only used Fire Line successfully for ice fishing large spoons and jigging raps for walleye.  I don't think it would work very well for smaller jigs.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2004, 09:30 AM »
I only use it for leaders on tip-ups because it goes to crap fast and they want an arm and a leg for spiderwire which I like better because it's more limp and seems to last longer but its to darn pricey.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2004, 12:51 PM »
I only ever use spiderwire.

Offline iwannabfishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2004, 12:25 AM »
 ;D
I use fireline for all seasons and I LOVE IT !!!  It may collect some ice when it's cold but you can just rub it off. For 4 lb. size it has definitely has major strength as I have broken many 8-12 lb. snells and straightened many hooks when snagged!!!
FIRELINES THE ULTIMATE  (at least for me)!!!!

Jarrod32

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2004, 03:28 PM »
I love mono in the summer for drifting and bottom-bouncing walleye...but I agree that it is not as good in the winter.  It tends to be too stiff for my liking.  I'm probably just too used to the way mono acts to be willing to change...

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2004, 01:25 PM »
For light line jigging it is too stiff and it freezes on the reel way too easily.A pain! It tends to work pretty good for tip up leaders when you tie a live bait loop to tie to the hook which allows the bait to move a little more.And keep it in the water as much as possible.I still prefer tying a multi strand fluro rig for tip ups. :tipup:
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2004, 01:52 PM »
I only use it for leaders on tip-ups because it goes to crap fast and they want an arm and a leg for spiderwire which I like better because it's more limp and seems to last longer but its to darn pricey.

-Scott

The Spiderwire Stealth is not too pricey... 7-9 a spool

Offline -fish-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2004, 02:06 PM »
I just broke my ice rod yesterday. I was using fireline, while deadsticking for crappie in a boat. i got snagged and the line was so strong it broke my rod. I hate fireline now. I use it for catfishing open water but thats it.

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jumping through my icehole!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2004, 09:37 AM »
I like Fireline but it gets twisted when I jig (swimmers).  I do not fill a whole spool anymore.  Because of it's price I use a mono backing and about 50 ft of Fireline on top.  Easier to replace when it goes bad also lasts the entire season.  I find most people either hate braided line or love it there is no in-between.

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2004, 11:59 AM »
Are there any other suggestions for ice fishing line for jigging poles? Also, what weight do you recommend for panfishing thru the ice?

Offline Thane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2004, 07:32 AM »
Lost a rod and reel down the hole last winter spooled with Fireline since the line froze on the spool and when a large fish took the bait away it went.  Would be good in a heated shack but outside where the line can freeze I'll stick to mono.

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Superlines of some sort (you choose the brand) are the only ones of much use when deep (60-80') vertical jigging for kokanee.  I can't get a decent hookset w/ mono no matter how far I jump off the bucket... :-\
Of course, they're really only good inside a shack or when air temps are 32F and above because they do freeze fairly readily.  I have noticed that they tend to screw w/ my Vex a bit too, especially at first.  I wonder if they hold large numbers of small air bubbles that the sonar picks up.  If I'm fishing less than 40', I almost always choose mono.
K.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2004, 02:41 PM »

-Scott

The Spiderwire Stealth is not too pricey... 7-9 a spool

Scott, I assume that you're talking about the original braid. I don't mind that, but yes, it's very expensive. Do NOT use Spiderwire Fusion, that stuff is the crappiest line on the market. Pure junk....knots up easily (unless you're trying to tie a knot!), and binds up really bad on the spool if it sits.

Reuben, the Stealth is actually monofilament. It's comparable to Trilene XL in that it's quite limp. It's actually called Spiderline Stealth, rather than Spiderwire. I have some 4 lb. on an UL open water setup, and while it hasn't blown me away, it's been pretty good line.

-Zach

-Zach

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2004, 09:36 PM »
I don't mind that, but yes, it's very expensive. Do NOT use Spiderwire Fusion, that stuff is the crappiest line on the market. Pure junk....knots up easily (unless you're trying to tie a knot!), and binds up really bad on the spool if it sits.

-Zach

-Zach

I agree w/ spiderwire fusion... it is also really brittle.

But I think trilene xl is the worst line on the market bar none........ it has lost me too many big fish with me puting no pressure at all to not think so.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

raleigh

« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2004, 09:51 PM »
Mack, I agree with you 100% about fireline. I have never tried it for hard water fishing only open water. It got twisted up an tangled up more than any other line I have used. :-[  I will always use Maxima ultra green fishing line on all my reels.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:10 PM »
I like fireline. I spool with some mono then about 150ft of fireline, tie on a barrel swivel then about 4ft of flurocarbon as a leader. I do however mostly fish in waters from 35ft to 110ft average depth.

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:38 AM »
I've never used fireline for jigging, but must say its a lot better than spiderwire on tipups as a leader.  Spiderwire is too limp, especially when using 8" shiners.  They swim up and get tangled in the line and its never pretty.  As for the trilene XL I've only ever had slight problems with it on toothy critters like pickerel and pike.  And even then its not really a big issue
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:08 PM »
I have found the same thing about Trilene XL that TFB has. Mostly it seems since they changed the formula that the line wears out faster and just gets really really brittle fast. Not so much the knot, it seems to break easily anywhere after the first trip of using it. Wish they would have never changed the formula, because I liked it . Stren Easy Cast though is awesome. And when I need extra line strength without sacrificing too much in the way of low memory, stren original is great. It is somewhat stiffer than Trilene XL or Stren Easy Cast but has less memory than Trilene XT or Stren Extra Strength. This year I'm trying P - Line fluoroclear for lake trout in 6 pound test. If it is strong I'm going to switch to it.

Tyler

Offline slabby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:47 AM »
Just wondered are we talking regular Fireline or Fireline Micro Ice,I just bought some
of that and was hoping for positive results on hard water this year?????? :)
Born To Fish Forced To Work

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2004, 01:06 AM »
The fireline and fireline micro ice are one in the same I believe. The micro ice is just packaged in lighter tests and smaller spool packages.
Jigwiggler, have you found that trilene has way less stretch than stren? Or just a little less?

Tyler

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2004, 04:12 PM »
 I use Fireline for tip-up leaders with good results. Have used Trilene for years with no problems, though am also trying P-line Floroclear this season. Most of my jigging tends to be for panfish in fairly shallow water; so we're talking 2-4# test.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2004, 10:37 PM »
I like Fireline for tip-up line with a flourocarbon leader. How does it work as a leader? It seems like walleye could see it. I use mono for jigging rods.

iceman480

« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2005, 04:17 PM »
I dont like fireline period...  Use power pro!!!!

Offline jtillman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I have been using the 4lb test diameter fireline for a couple of years for both hard water and open for jigging big and small jigs, big and small spoons, jigging raps, plain hooks with minnows and everything in between....wouldn't trade it in for anything. Have great luck with walleye, panfish and even the occasional pike.

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2005, 10:01 PM »
i hate fireline, it always seems to mess up my drag. i'll get a fish on and mine line just keeps flowing out of the reel like a free spool. for now on i stick to trilene micro ice and it allows me to spend more time fishing and less time wondering about whats wrong with my reel.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2005, 10:59 PM »
Try Ironsilk or spiderwire seem to be pliable in cold weather and tough as nails. Been using both for years and have no real gripes. For lighter jigging rods (bluegill perch ect...) use iceline 4-8lb test specially made for ice fishing doesn't coil up like regular lines. Good luck :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2005, 02:07 PM »
i hate fireline, it always seems to mess up my drag. I'll get a fish on and mine line just keeps flowing out of the reel like a free spool. for now on i stick to trilene micro ice and it allows me to spend more time fishing and less time wondering about whats wrong with my reel.
Thats cause you need to tie a piece of mono on first then attach fireline, otherwise it may slip.

Offline BROWNSLAYER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2005, 04:51 PM »
Tried Fireline MicroIce - never again.  All the previously listed problems and then some.

Offline DanthefishinMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Oh yeah, baby.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:55 AM »
Fireline works great if you are jigging a fair amount of weight.  I use it for jigging heavy lures, and deep water perch hangers.  I like the lack of stretch and enhanced fell in these situations.  For light jigging, mono is superior.
Dan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.