Author Topic: Fluorocarbon Versus Mono  (Read 5430 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Fluorocarbon Versus Mono
« on: Oct 21, 2004, 01:19 PM »
I am thinking of trying fluorocarbon this year as a main line rather than mono. I have wondered what your experiences with fluorocarbon are? Is it weaker than mono on the same diameter? Does it change the way you feel your lure? I am wanting to try fluorocarbon because it's so invisible underwater. I am talking about using it as a main line and not a leader, as I already use it as leader. What are the best brands of fluoro to spool up with?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

hali-man

Re: Fluorocarbon Versus Mono
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2004, 01:34 PM »
I have tried it and found it too stiff, especially when cold.
My suggestion is to keep using it as a leader, Mack.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2004, 05:55 PM »
First thing I would do is keep it as a leader,I run about a 8ft piece of Berkly Vanish..
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2004, 07:19 AM »
I fish with 2# Berkley mono, do you find that the Fluorocarbon makes a difference?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2004, 11:43 AM »
Go with berkley vanish that stuff is awesome it really makes a difference i like the 6 lb the thing with the flourocarbon is you can go a little heavier than mono and the fish still wont see it as well as mono if there is a chance at a big fish taking your presentation you'll have a better chance of landing it.The only downside is that it is kinda hard to see when you are tying or re tying.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2004, 12:03 PM »
2lb fluorocarbon is great stuff - fish cannot see it, and it's pretty abrasion resistant.  I've landed some halfway decent pike on it, not to mention pretty good size largemouth.  This year, I'm switching all my gill rods to 2lb Stren Hi-Vis yellow with a 2lb fluorocarbon leader.  Best of both worlds.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2004, 06:06 PM »
Flouro is all I use. Mono does not even come close. More durable, more sensitive, invisible, lasts for years. The first spool of Seaguar I used outlasted the first two reels I put it on. One Quantam and one Tica. I use mostly 4# and 2# for extremely shy fish. 4# Seaguar is about equal to 6# mono as far as stength and durability. Much less stretch in flourocarbon also so hooksets are quicker. You dont try to break the fishes neck or you will break jigs off. Ive never heard of anyone using Seaguar and not liking it. Theres a reason why flouro costs more- its better. Not all flouros are equal. Seaguar has worked the best for me. Good luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Taking my girls fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2004, 06:39 AM »
Well I don't know all of the technical stuff behind fluoro but I do know that I am the only guy in my shanty that used it last year and I could out fish the other two 3/1 using the same jig as they were.  They now have changed to the invisible side.

Mike

hali-man

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2004, 11:49 AM »
2lb fluorocarbon is great stuff - fish cannot see it, and it's pretty abrasion resistant.  I've landed some halfway decent pike on it, not to mention pretty good size largemouth.  This year, I'm switching all my gill rods to 2lb Stren Hi-Vis yellow with a 2lb fluorocarbon leader.  Best of both worlds.

I think that is a very good plan of attack, Richstick.
I had the exact same set-up on one of my rods last year with impressive results.
The leader doesn't even have to be very long...
It works great for perch, too.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Do you connect your floro leaders with a blood knot?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2004, 06:20 PM »
have you guys tryied P-Line Floroice? What about the Micro ice lines? Fire and trilene? fiannaly what about Yo-Zuri Line Hybrid.....any good? Lets here the brand names !
Anthony

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2004, 06:35 PM »
I am having trouble connecting mono to a fluoro leader. I use the back to back uni knots and for some reason they break even if I wet them, and I've tied uni knots for a long time so I know how to tie them well. I was using 12 pound p line fluoro and trying to connect it to original stren of the same strength. It just broke every time with little difficulty. Not what I want when a big mack decides to vacate after inhaling my jig. Any suggestions? I'm thinking now of at least trying it as a main line, even though it seems to not be as good when tying knots.

Tyler

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2004, 09:17 AM »
I just respooled two reels with 2lb Trilene, and used a blood knot with 2lb Vanish and had no problems.  I also respooled two reels with 4lb Cajun, and used a blood knot with 2lb Vanish without a problem.  Anyone have any experience with the red Cajun line?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2004, 12:58 PM »
Slipbob, I think I will try the swivel. I know that will stay strong. Only thing is, does the swivel show up on sonar? I usually fish for lakers in about 40 feet of water and set my gain around 3 if that will give you more info.

Tyler

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2004, 09:07 AM »
I've found that even smaller swivels are very strong, as long as you get the brand name ones.  You should be able to get little ones that won't show up on your flasher, yet hold anything you catch.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline lwfinj

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishfully your
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2004, 09:20 AM »
I am having trouble connecting mono to a fluoro leader. I use the back to back uni knots and for some reason they break even if I wet them, and I've tied uni knots for a long time so I know how to tie them well. I was using 12 pound p line fluoro and trying to connect it to original stren of the same strength. It just broke every time with little difficulty. Not what I want when a big mack decides to vacate after inhaling my jig. Any suggestions? I'm thinking now of at least trying it as a main line, even though it seems to not be as good when tying knots.

Tyler

Do you wet your knot before tie it up ?  With fluoro it is a must . And one  more word. I allways use blood knot and never had a problem. Give it a try when you will have a chance  http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knots%20&%20Rigging/fk_bloodk.htm

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2004, 09:21 AM »
We always use small swivels when connecting mono to flourocarbon. It might show up on the vex. You can adjust your gain or get used to seeing it. The swivel will always be the same distance from your jig. Lift your rod tip and you will see the swivel move with the jig.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2004, 12:36 PM »
if you are using 2lb line and tiny jigs, don't use a swivel - it ruins the jigs action.  I do use swivels on my 4lb jigging spoon rods though - keeps line twist at bay.   I can see a swivel on my FL-18 down into 35 FOW.  No big deal. 

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2004, 05:13 PM »
Slipbob,

I tied a good uni - knot the other night by keeping up on experimenting. I tied to so strong that it would not break at all. This was with 12 lb stren and 12 lb p - line fluoro. I found that you have to really gently slide the knots together and not pull at all. I had the knots well lubed and just easily slid them together, watching for line twist and avoiding friction. I think I finally did it right. I just hope I can repeat it. That was the best knot I ever tied. If not I will just go with a small swivel.

Tyler

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2004, 10:00 PM »
That does sound like a good idea slipbob. Might also help me detect laker bites better. I always put mono on as backing if I spooled superline. I am still going to try the 6/2 fireline this next open water season to see if it will help me increase my casting distance in lakes. Was hoping it would provide more casting distance than 6 pound mono.

Tyler

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2004, 06:07 PM »
Flourocarbon was the greatest thing to hit summer fly fisherman like me since graphite rods! It sure comes is useful for finnicky trout or even the most finnicky fish i have ever fished for, red salmon. An example is when me and my friend went to the rainbow legend, willow creek. The rainbows are huge here because of the millions of salmon eggs they have in fall and the millions of fry that they have in spring. I was fishing with my friend for rainbows that were stacked up below bedding salmon waiting for eggs and even rotten flesh to come their way. I was using flourocarbon and he was not. We both had a flesh fly on, he caught 15 fish, i caught 30! The big rainbow are especially smart because of their many years of being fished for and my friends biggest fish was only 4 pounds. I caught 10 fish between 4 and 14 pounds. But it is stiff so you shoulc just use as a leader and by all means use a swivel. Mono and flourcarbon are made of different materials and flourocarbon is much stiffer and slicker. In fact on some manufacures of flourocarbon have warnings saying "not for use with mon."

Offline jsnyd4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2004, 09:29 PM »
well last year was the first time i tried fluorocarbon and i was quit impressed. although i didnt like if for a main line or running line. i spooled with 4 lb gold stren so i could see it one the ice and i tied a 5 ft piece of 2lb fluoro ice on as a leader using a standard blood knot. ill use this set up intil i find something that workes better.
I am thinking of trying fluorocarbon this year as a main line rather than mono. I have wondered what your experiences with fluorocarbon are? Is it weaker than mono on the same diameter? Does it change the way you feel your lure? I am wanting to try fluorocarbon because it's so invisible underwater. I am talking about using it as a main line and not a leader, as I already use it as leader. What are the best brands of fluoro to spool up with?

Tyler
8)

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2004, 04:02 PM »
My cousin was using the Red Cajun line this summer for open water, and that stuff is strong.  He got snagged and had a heck of a time getting the line to break using 6 LB test.  Easy to see and tie.  I'm going to try it with a 2# fluorocarbon leader.  I have also tried P-Line Fluoro and like it.  I'm going to spool my 2 rods and my kids rods each with a different leader line and see how they work out.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:27 PM »
Just a word of caution guys: When using light line, and you need to wet it, don't use your saliva as it tends to break it down some. I like fluorocarbon line but never as a main line, mostly for leaders. Palomar knot works well. Just my 2 cents worth.

hali-man

« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Has anyone seen the new Vanish Transition line?
It's flourocarbon and invisible underwater, but when exposed UV light it's supposed to be easy to tie with... 

---ThinIce---

« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2004, 01:11 PM »
:tipup: I fish a couple rods with fluorocarbon and I like the stuff last season I caught a couple pike on 2# while fishing for crappie I also really like P-Line.The P-Line is very flexible.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.