Author Topic: Serenity Now!!!  (Read 491 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Serenity Now!!!
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:38 AM »
For the most part I’ve been really happy with my Clam 4000xlt, but there are times I’d like to put a match to it because of the god awful zippers.  You guys remember the quality heavy duty zippers they used to put in the old Otter flips?   This is what we should be putting in all the shanties.  I’m so tired of fighting with these cheap Chinese toys.    There has to be a better solution.   What about Velcro?   Could the entire door be heavy Velcro?    Sure it won’t be air tight, but at least you can fasten it, unlike when a zipper pulls off the track and you now have a gaping hole.    How about someone makes a quality hub that has heavy duty poles and zippers and a fat a$$ oversize bag it all fits nicely into.  I’ll gladly give you another Benjamin or two in exchange for peace of mind that it won’t fail out in the field.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Serenity Now!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:46 AM »
never had that happen with shappell and i have 5 of them or gander mountain/eskimo.

you could have better zippers sewn in. take it to a shoe cobbler.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:51 AM »
If you have a marine canvas shop near you they can replace zippers.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Never had a problem with my clam pop up. Works great. I rip the zippers open and shut all day and never had an issue . onlynproblem I've had is it freezing to the ice !

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:34 AM »
use wax/chapstick on them for freezing and sticking issues. same for leaky seams.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:43 AM »
no, the zipper completely comes off the track.  chapstick or wax aint fixing this.   And I know how to do a quick fix, but I can only do that after collapsing it and will only last a few trips and then POP right off the track again.  Never ever had that happen with a quality zipper.  It should be able to overcome a fair amount of outward force.   

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Sounds like the metal part of the zipper is broken. Sometimes you can crimp down the edges of the metal peace with a pair of needle nose to make it hold better. If that doesn't work it probably needs to be replaced . Sometimes they ice up and if you yank too hard it it can damage it. It if something gets stuck in the zipper

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Serenity Now is what I call my kid's dog.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.