Author Topic: one man flip shelter help which one?  (Read 8352 times)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: one man flip shelter help which one?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 05, 2013, 01:42 PM »
What are the reviews for the Shappell Rover?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #61 on: Dec 05, 2013, 03:24 PM »
That sounds like a neat idea.  Just wonder what the difficulty of assembly would be? Only if you ever removed them I guess.
Just picked up a new Shappell FX150, I might give your idea try.  Need to figure out how I am going to attach the tubes (upper part) to the sled base though.  Maybe u-bolts with big fender washers inside and out; with the top of the tube resting under the sled base lip?  May have reenforce that "lip" in some way as well.    :-\

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #62 on: Dec 05, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Just picked up a new Shappell FX150, I might give your idea try.  Need to figure out how I am going to attach the tubes (upper part) to the sled base though.  Maybe u-bolts with big fender washers inside and out; with the top of the tube resting under the sled base lip?  May have reenforce that "lip" in some way as well.    :-\

Alternatively, you could use a 2 x 4 as a spacer to move the alignment of the upper such that it misses the lip???  Another thought is that if a person has already made up their mind to have the skis to simply forgo the receiving tube entirely and permanently mount the ski tubes to the sides of the sled with a single height, taller profile?  Personally, I wouldn't do the latter and prefer the option of taking the skis on and off as needed for snow cover. 
Chris Raymond

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 05, 2013, 03:56 PM »
I've got a Thermal X1 and an X2. For a one man hut, the X1 is the size to get IMO. I can still load it in the pickup by myself and most importantly it is big enough to fish two holes easily. I use two flashers and fish two holes at all times. If you don't, you should consider doing so. You simply catch more fish.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #64 on: Dec 05, 2013, 04:24 PM »
Alternatively, you could use a 2 x 4 as a spacer to move the alignment of the upper such that it misses the lip???  Another thought is that if a person has already made up their mind to have the skis to simply forgo the receiving tube entirely and permanently mount the ski tubes to the sides of the sled with a single height, taller profile?  Personally, I wouldn't do the latter and prefer the option of taking the skis on and off as needed for snow cover.
Well, the other thought about having it "up" is that the shelter skirt probably will not be on the ground.  SO - maybe back to the smitty sled (or some modified version) to use when in the snow.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #65 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:24 PM »
What are the reviews for the Shappell Rover?
I don't think the Rover is produced any longer?  They have  the FX series now.  Don't know what the difference is, if any.  The size of the tent is the same the sleds are a bit different.  The weight is 45 for the Rover 1.5 - 68 for the FX150.  I'd say the difference is in the sled base and frame.  THe Rover used a telescopic frame system where the FX has fixed frame lengths.  I think the sleds on the Rovers were one of the bigger complaints, being thin and easily busted.  THe Rover sled is/was  44"W X 34"L X 10"D while the FX is 44"W X 60"L X 13".
You can find the info for the Rover on-line by searching for it but it's not listed (advertised) on the Shappell WEB Site.

I really like the idea of the FX and the instant flip setup - Really quick to setup and put down for moving around.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #66 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:32 PM »
I read that the fx100 the sled will collapse when u sit on it. Not sure if it really hurt anything but doesn't sound good.
Matt

quote author=FISHFORPIKE link=topic=261684.msg2724999#msg2724999 date=1386285859]
I don't think the Rover is produced any longer?  They have FX series now.  Don't know what the difference is, if any.
[/quote]

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:12 AM »
I don't think the Rover is produced any longer?  They have  the FX series now.  Don't know what the difference is, if any.  The size of the tent is the same the sleds are a bit different.  The weight is 45 for the Rover 1.5 - 68 for the FX150.  I'd say the difference is in the sled base and frame.  THe Rover used a telescopic frame system where the FX has fixed frame lengths.  I think the sleds on the Rovers were one of the bigger complaints, being thin and easily busted.  THe Rover sled is/was  44"W X 34"L X 10"D while the FX is 44"W X 60"L X 13".
You can find the info for the Rover on-line by searching for it but it's not listed (advertised) on the Shappell WEB Site.

I really like the idea of the FX and the instant flip setup - Really quick to setup and put down for moving around.
Thanks for the information.  There are lots of Rovers for sale, and I was interested.   

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #68 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:18 AM »
Thanks for the information.  There are lots of Rovers for sale, and I was interested.   
New?  Probably last year's stock?  Look them over real good for quality.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #69 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:41 AM »
Well, the other thought about having it "up" is that the shelter skirt probably will not be on the ground.  SO - maybe back to the smitty sled (or some modified version) to use when in the snow.

Good point, totally forgot about the skirting issue.  See, I knew there was another reason why I was tracking on the variable height, on/off option.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:46 AM »
New?  Probably last year's stock?  Look them over real good for quality.
These are new (I just typed in the words "Rover shelters" on the search engine).  Read this whole thread and there was no mention of them.  If they don't cut it, then that's it then.  Thanks for the follow-up.       

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #71 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:58 AM »
These are new (I just typed in the words "Rover shelters" on the search engine).  Read this whole thread and there was no mention of them.  If they don't cut it, then that's it then.  Thanks for the follow-up.       
They still show up on the Shappell Site - just not in current production.  Looks like they have parts, etc.

http://www.shappell.com/rover15spshelter.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.