Author Topic: one man flip shelter help which one?  (Read 8355 times)

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: one man flip shelter help which one?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 02, 2013, 08:59 AM »
I got the shappell fx100 $199 from Cabellas last year free shipping. PITA to assemble but I love it. With the bench seat I no longer need to carry a seat I just use the bench and when it gets too cold or windy just raise the top. I do carry a quick open tripod seat if I want to roam from hole to hole.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:43 AM »
I almost ordered the Fx100 and still might get one. The only reason I ordered the pro tc was the seat. I could have pit a seat on the FX100 but the to were only $36 apart and I figured I would have double that if I bought the FX100 and then bought a seat and swivel for it.

i have the fx 100 and added a swivel and seat.my head hit the roof so i had to stay hunched over all last season. i'm 6'.
so far this year all i have done is get a bleacher seat with straps under it to hold it to the bench. i want to find a better back rest for it still. its still taken apart for summer. also got the led strip 5630 emitters and will add those.
i might mess with the conduit that holds the bench up too high and remount the swivel/seat i have again.
another idea would be to take metal like aluminum being much thinner than the thick board/foam/carpet they used to lower the seat.
thats my main gripe with it and the flaps where the velcro is. i might take some conduit and add it where the flaps are so i do not have to keep closing them by hand.

another issue they had was sled thickness. mine was collapsing where i sit in the corners mostly. i wrote mike at shappell and he sent me a thicker one free. the thinner one does come back out on its own after it gets warm enough. i weigh 212.

i found that the rod holders that are for people who fish land, work well in the openings of the posts in the front corners. just bend them about 45 degrees. they are the coiled red ones.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:09 PM »
I have the FX 150 also. I love how much room there is. I think its the biggest one man on the market. Not to bad to pull either.

Offline Burtess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 03, 2013, 02:47 PM »
I needed one to fit in the trunk/back seat of my Chevy Cruze so I picked up a Eskimo Quick Flip 1 last week.  Looks to be built pretty well..... I like the method of securing the poles - they are not screwed to plate on only one side like the Clam's - they fit between two plates of steel and are bolted through.  At about 45lbs its fairly light and the sled has a nice ramp to it so it should pull ok I think.  Most important, it fits in the car (Clam Kenai would not).

Burt :)

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Did you decide on a shack yet
Never to many short poles

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Clam Pro TC $234.89 delivered to my door. Best deal I could find for what I was looking for. Trying to talk my buddy into getting one so we could link them together.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Now you're going to need a little buddy heater the smallest one they make because a small thermal it's going to need much
Never to many short poles

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:45 PM »
Yep I have a big buddy but I'm looking for a small one for the trap.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:11 PM »
Thanks old goat! I go there after work tomorrow.
Matt

quote author=Old Goat link=topic=261684.msg2691949#msg2691949 date=1383537494]
farm and fleet just put them on sale
[/quote]

Offline PaperMouthPersuer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:23 PM »
I have a frabil Recon, small lightweight and easy to move around.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:30 PM »
I looked at the recon but for the price of the pro tc it was a no brainer for the options for the money

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Nov 04, 2013, 06:08 AM »
You should try it out before you invest in a buddy heater.

You would be SHOCKED how quickly those warm up when flipped over and your out of the wind.

My clam isnt insulated and I have never needed a heater.

I like the idea of the back door so you can link to a buddy. But alot of guys buy those flip overs for a run and gun style of fishing.
Linking up would make that difficult. Altho, having that option is nice.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:16 AM »
Run and gun is the reason for buy an one man. But if me OE my buddy hits a hotspot it would be nice to be able to talk without yelling from hut to hut. A buddy of mine has a buddy heater for $30 with cover so I don't think I can go wrong  by buying it.
Matt

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Nov 04, 2013, 01:23 PM »
For 30$ its worth having just in case for sure.

But try without it first. One less thing to lug out if you dont need it.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 04, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Will do good point. My buddycjust bought a JM one man full thermal with cover and hyfax kit for $275. I'm thinking he got a deal.

quote author=BaitBucket link=topic=261684.msg2692204#msg2692204 date=1383592985]
For 30$ its worth having just in case for sure.

But try without it first. One less thing to lug out if you dont need it.
[/quote]

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #45 on: Nov 04, 2013, 02:46 PM »
i bring a single mantel lantern for light and heat. if it gets too cold for lantern i turn on the lil buddy heater. i would say its how you let the wind hit your sled on windy days, as it sucks the air/heat out of it.
only time it gets warm is when the sun is out and no or little wind. gets toasty in the fx 150 then. if its that warm, then you might be out scouting fish any way or out in a portable chair i use also. its when the sun is almost gone it gets cold.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Nov 04, 2013, 06:25 PM »
Will do good point. My buddycjust bought a JM one man full thermal with cover and hyfax kit for $275. I'm thinking he got a deal.

I have heard bad things about those hyfax runners wearing out fast, and they arent cheap.

You do want some protection on the bottom of your tub though.

I got some old skis at salvation army for a few bucks and attached them flush to the bottom.

Offline Iceomaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 05, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Whatever you do, go thermal.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 08, 2013, 12:51 AM »
I've fished out of a Frabil Ultra Lite flip-over for years. 27 pounds make for a easy pull
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 08, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I have one of the old original Genz fish traps.  At least I think that's what it's called.  I love it.  I put ski's on it to make it easier to pull and had a few trips to the Amish Canvas guy for some minor patches but it's fine for me..  Don't see getting a new one in the near future.
Shut up and fish.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #50 on: Nov 09, 2013, 07:16 AM »
i will put a suggestion out for frabill. they have two diffrent one mans. the commando which is their higher end model. it has no hoops to collapse which is a big plus for mobility. Also has more head room than any others. The recon is their next step down but is still a really nice shack. the commando can also be had for right around the 300 mark.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 16, 2013, 01:17 PM »
I have one of the old original Genz fish traps.  At least I think that's what it's called.  I love it.  I put ski's on it to make it easier to pull and had a few trips to the Amish Canvas guy for some minor patches but it's fine for me..  Don't see getting a new one in the near future.

Trapster was that the Trap with the plywood floor ?? That's the model I had for my first flip over !! You want something that pulled hard in deep snow that was it !!! But I thought it was the coolest thing back then !! When I ordered it I talked to Dave Genz himself on the phone at his house when he still made them in his garage !! Got the flasher with the plywood Genz box at the same time !! I thought I was king SH-- !!
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Nov 16, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Guys I thought I'd weigh in here. Everybody has his or her own opinion on things but in reality almost all the shacks out there are pretty good !! Some will have features that might appeal to different people in different ways. Be it a better sled,poles,cover ect. I've only owned 3 shacks and the only reason I changed from the first one was because I wanted a few more BETTER features in a new one. My first was an ORIGINAL Fish Trap with the white canvas cover. Then graduated to the Fish Trap Pro with a tub (finally) Now I own a Otter 1 man. What do I think is the best one out of the 3 ? The Otter but that doesn't mean the Trap wasn't good because it was. They all pull hard if you take to much stuff and the snow's deep !! Just think of the weight we accumulate with all the crap we have. If you put a HiFax kit on your sled I really don't know how you can wear them out !!! Just my 2 cents
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:02 AM »
Redone, where did you order your pro tc from?

Thanks
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2013, 04:13 AM »
I have heard bad things about those hyfax runners wearing out fast, and they arent cheap.
Hyfax - wear out fast?  Maybe on blacktop behind a wheeler!  Maybe on the snowmobile slides run with no snow.
It's one of the toughest wearing "plastics" out there.  I like your skis as runner though - good idea.  I was thinking about those and maybe it would be nice if they had just a liittle riser between them and the base, 2 or 3"?

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:34 AM »
Sportsmanguide. They have them for $233 if your a member.
Matt

quote author=Rehtnug185vx link=topic=261684.msg2723687#msg2723687 date=1386230560]
Redone, where did you order your pro tc from?

Thanks
[/quote]

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:52 AM »
i got a commando flip over, if you want comfort while fishing go with frabill. i shopped around for ever and sat in many clams and frabills, the frabill chairs sit higer then the clams (if your tall this is good then your knees arn't touching your ears). not bashing clam they make a good product, but frabill i found was the more comfortable of the two. again its up to the buyer and how you feel in the hut. i picked up my frabill commando off of kijiji for $100, i think the guy who sold it didnt appreciate it much if selling for that price.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #57 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Hyfax - wear out fast?  Maybe on blacktop behind a wheeler!  Maybe on the snowmobile slides run with no snow.
It's one of the toughest wearing "plastics" out there.  I like your skis as runner though - good idea.  I was thinking about those and maybe it would be nice if they had just a liittle riser between them and the base, 2 or 3"?

FFP--I thought about adding skis to my Otter (I've scrounged up two sets) for deep snow as well but haven't as of yet.  My thought was to attach vertical tubing on two places of each ski.  Each of these would slip inside matching (but slightly larger diameter) tubes mounted on the outside sides of the sled.  Height would be determined with pins through a line of holes drilled through both sled tubes and ski tubes.  In deeper snow, the upper holes that provided greatly leg height would be used.  In lesser snow, lower holes could be used to give the sled a lower profile.  When there's little snow, the skis can be left in the truck.    Any thoughts?
Chris Raymond

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #58 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:26 AM »
FFP--I thought about adding skis to my Otter (I've scrounged up two sets) for deep snow as well but haven't as of yet.  My thought was to attach vertical tubing on two places of each ski.  Each of these would slip inside matching (but slightly larger diameter) tubes mounted on the outside sides of the sled.  Height would be determined with pins through a line of holes drilled through both sled tubes and ski tubes.  In deeper snow, the upper holes that provided greatly leg height would be used.  In lesser snow, lower holes could be used to give the sled a lower profile.  When there's little snow, the skis can be left in the truck.    Any thoughts?

That sounds like a neat idea.  Just wonder what the difficulty of assembly would be? Only if you ever removed them I guess.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #59 on: Dec 05, 2013, 12:53 PM »
That sounds like a neat idea.  Just wonder what the difficulty of assembly would be? Only if you ever removed them I guess.

With two guys it would be relatively easy I would think.  If folks thought Otters were heavy before, those with rigging like this would really make their day.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.