Author Topic: Question for Shappell 6500 widehouse owners  (Read 2328 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Question for Shappell 6500 widehouse owners
« on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:05 AM »
Can you comfortably see out the windows from a seated position (5 gal. bucket) or are the windows still the same height as the 6000?  Thank you. :tipup:

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
Re: Question for Shappell 6500 widehouse owners
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:16 AM »
I only got mine at the end of the season last year and got to use it once. I'm 6'2" and in a regular folding chair had no problem seeing out the windows. So a bucket should be fine. I love mine so far. Sets up in minutes and comes down just as fast. Easy in and out of the bag. The windows even fold open for ventilation if it gets to warm or to ward off those un wanted fumes from gaseous fishing companions. ;D

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Sorry, I just realized my last post didn't really answer your question. I'm not sure how high up the windows are on the 6000, but I can't imagine there's that much of a difference. Hope some of it helped.

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:26 AM »
I had the 5500 last year and bought the 6500 for this year. The windows are the same in each and even my wife was able to see out the windows sitting down.  Can't wait to try out the extra room this year.
<===Lefty===

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Thanks for the quick response gentlemen - my knock on the 6000 I own is you can't comfortable see out the windows from a 5 gal. bucket or equivalent, sucks for tip up viewing, good shack otherwise.  They must have lowered the window height on the 5500 and 6500 widehouse models, good news.  I like the windowing system best on the new Cabelas version, pretty much 360 degree and sitting height, just not sure I like it to the tune of $400. ;D :tipup:

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:40 AM »
I'm a club member so I got it at the discounted price. I buy a lot for them. ALWAYS check there first. Put them in your favorites list. Waaaaay before Cabelas!

Pat

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:57 AM »
YIKES! Look at Sportsman Guide. $235.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/shappell-wide-house-6500-shelt.aspx?a=1028398

$400 for the Cabelas version, I have seen the Shappell 6500 elsewhere for much less, hence the possible interest. ;D  I'm actually not a fan of portables, much prefer my hardside, just thinking about "away" trips and that I might use one more if got a setup I like. :tipup:

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Here's a pic of it set up in my back yard when I got it. I was amazed how quick it set up. Now, the one and only complaint I did have was that they only give you four ice anchors for it. They should give you at least 8. 4 for the bottom and 4 for the wall loops. They do provide the ropes for the walls but only for anchors, but for the price I can complain much compared to some of the others out the and what I wanted to spend. I'll just pick up a few more anchors.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2013, 10:13 AM »
When I bought mine at Club member price $211.49 I renewed my Subscription. I got free Shipping,2 $10 Coupons the 1 Year membership $29.95 and the 6500 for a total of $218 and Change. So I paid a total of about $7 for the membership and got the 2 $10 Coupons and free shipping.
<===Lefty===

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2013, 10:25 AM »
When I bought mine at Club member price $211.49 I renewed my Subscription. I got free Shipping,2 $10 Coupons the 1 Year membership $29.95 and the 6500 for a total of $218 and Change. So I paid a total of about $7 for the membership and got the 2 $10 Coupons and free shipping.

Yeah, if you know what you're looking for they have some pretty good deals there. Some stuff IS cheap, but what place doesn't have their bargin stuff.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Here's a pic of it set up in my back yard when I got it. I was amazed how quick it set up. Now, the one and only complaint I did have was that they only give you four ice anchors for it. They should give you at least 8. 4 for the bottom and 4 for the wall loops. They do provide the ropes for the walls but only for anchors, but for the price I can complain much compared to some of the others out the and what I wanted to spend. I'll just pick up a few more anchors.

Thanks for the pic, the windows do "seem" lower which is what interests me.  The shappell's do have the best door design as well imo.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Yeah, their huge! And there's two doors which is nice. The shades for the windows fold down to expose the window, then you can peal the window right off if you want. It's all vellcrow. When everything is closed is pitch black.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2013, 09:40 PM »
I fished mine in a 30 mph wind with no tie downs on the hubs...just the 4 anchors in...had zero issues.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.