Author Topic: Tanaka break-in  (Read 4253 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Tanaka break-in
« on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:43 AM »
 Whats the best way to break in a new Tanaka power head? I've been trying to sell it but no takers so I'm going to use it. I'm going up north this weekend and thought I would give it a shot. It is brand new never been used and never had gas in it.
 Thanks
  Matt

surflizard

Re: Tanaka break-in
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:29 AM »
A good universal breakin procedure adds years to the life of the motor !

1. Start motor and let idle for 3 or 4 minutes, shut down and allow motor to cool completely.
2. Start motor, idle for 1 minute, slowly advance throttle to half way hold for 2 minutes, let motor idle for 3 minutes, stop and allow motor to cool completely.
3. start motor, idle for 1 minute, slowly open throttle to WO, wide open, hold for 2 minutes, let motor idle for 3minutes and stop. allow motor to cool completely.
4. By following this procedure, you have helped the piston rings to seat properly without scoring the cylinder adding years to the life of the motor and it helps to establish a motor that starts easier and runs better ! Go punch some holes !!

Surf

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:59 AM »
Thanks Surflizard. Can't wait to see how this Nils power auger works. I have heard they are fasr. I'll find out Saturday  ; ;D
Matt

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:05 AM »
I have had the chance to run the Tanaka powered Nils augers before and they are the Thoroughbred's of the ice augers !

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:09 AM »
For the Tanaka run it in a bucket with the idle up a little for at least half a tank. When you have used it some then change over to the Amsoil 100-1 ratio oil. How much where you asking for it.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:42 AM »
For the Tanaka run it in a bucket with the idle up a little for at least half a tank. When you have used it some then change over to the Amsoil 100-1 ratio oil. How much where you asking for it.
[/quote

$390 shipped]

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Broke in done!!!!! I'm ready to start punching holes!! Heading to WI to try it on 14" of ice. Thanks again Surf. I hope you have a good trip to Maine. Takes some pics and show us all the fish! ;D
  Matt

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Glads to help Matt, Good luck to you also, let see some of them WI fish too buddy !

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:38 AM »
Tony you crossing over the line to catch um again?
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:21 AM »
10-4 Wayne, hookin up with snowman and the guys ! :icefish:

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Broke in done!!!!! I'm ready to start punching holes!! Heading to WI to try it on 14" of ice. Thanks again Surf. I hope you have a good trip to Maine. Takes some pics and show us all the fish! ;D
  Matt

Been an odd year here in WI.  I've had decent success a couple times and absolutely horrid others.  I heard a Northwoods ice contest this past weekend had trouble filling 2nd and 3rd place fish in many categories.  I was the top producer in our group (not on contest lake) with 4 keeper perch and 2 throwbacks plus a snake and one snake bite off.

As for 100:1 I'd like to see a mfr or reputable small engine shop with a clean conscience that will endorse this ratio.  I've been a member of a large chainsaw board and you won't find many if any running this.  Fact of the matter is that some have run this and disassembled only to find some very dry bearings.

Try www.arboristsite.com

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:56 PM »

As for 100:1 I'd like to see a mfr or reputable small engine shop with a clean conscience that will endorse this ratio.

AMSOIL has been doing just exactly that since 1973.

AMSOIL Saber Professional 2-Cycle Oil    

Saber™ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP)
AMSOIL Saber™ Professional is formulated with exclusive AMSOIL synthetic base oils and premium additives. Designed for lean mix ratios in two-cycle motors, Saber 2-Cycle Oils have excellent lubricity and cleanliness properties to control friction and help prevent wear, plug fouling, ring sticking and exhaust port blocking. Saber 2-Cycle Oils also feature an anti-rust formulation to counteract the damp environments often encountered in two-cycle applications. AMSOIL 100:1 Synthetic 2-Cycle Oils have been protecting and providing improved performance in two-cycle motors since 1973.

Saber Professional (ATP) is specifically designed for small engines including, but not limited to, chain saws, lawn equipment, blowers, chop saws, pumps, scooters and go-carts. It is available in a 3.5- oz. bilingual (English/Spanish) container which is ideal for treating the 2 – 2.5-gallon cans of gas commonly used for storing mixed gas on the job. Saber Professional also works well in motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jet boats and personal watercraft. Saber Professional is formulated with high-temperature detergent additives to help prevent hard carbon deposits from forming in these hot-operating motors. Saber Professional is “smokeless” and delivers fewer emissions at 100:1 mix ratios than oils mixed at 50:1. Equipment operators subjected to smoke and fumes will benefit from these low emission properties. Because one mix ratio satisfies multiple pieces of equipment, Saber Professional eliminates mix ratio confusion. Saber Professional is recommended for pre-mix where ISO-L-EGD, JASO FD or API TC is specified.

Applications (2-Cycle Recommendations Chart)
AMSOIL Saber 100:1 2-Cycle Oil is recommended for 100:1 mix ratios in normal service. Richer mix ratios may be used where desired.
2.6 oz.    per 1 U.S. gallon    50:1
8 oz.    per 5 U.S. gallons    80:1
1.3 oz.    per 1 U.S. gallon    100:1
8 oz.    per 6 U.S. gallons    100:1

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Sorry no Amsoil tattoo on my ass.  I should have been more specific:  ENGINE mfr

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Sorry no Amsoil tattoo on my ass.

We most certainly have no interest in seeing any more than you've shown already, Thank you.     :woot: :roflmao:

Permission is hereby granted to go seize up.    :whistle:

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Nils told me 100:1 was fine after break in....

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:45 PM »
I run mine at 100:1.... have not had any troubles.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:15 PM »
100:1 here and no problems.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Another 100:1 guy here if I pour accurately (maybe 80 if I don't) and without any problems.   
Chris Raymond

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:18 AM »
Nils told me 100:1 was fine after break in....
I run mine at 100:1.... have not had any troubles.
100:1 here and no problems.
Another 100:1 guy here if I pour accurately (maybe 80 if I don't) and without any problems.   

LONG MAY THEY RUN     
                                         ;)2

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2012, 04:12 AM »
All of my small engines run the same 100:1 ratio and have never run better !! They all start easier, idle smoother and just run so much better, Amsoil Saber oil Rules ! :thumbsup:

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2012, 04:28 PM »
well I'm sold on the Nils power auger. It flew trough the ice. We were drilling 12"-14" of ice in seconds. The guy I went with from WI was pretty impressed by how smooth it cut through the ice and to mention the fact that it was about half the weight of his Jiffy.
 Matt

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2012, 04:32 PM »
With a little gas treatment ( for the ethanol), that Tanaka should outlast you buddy, Glad to hear shes running well !

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2012, 07:39 PM »
 Hey Surf how was the trip to Maine? Lots of fish? Whats the gas treatment I need to run in it?
  Matt

surflizard

« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Hey 74,
 We had a blast, no monsters but the flags kept us busy all weekend and we all had a great time ! The Startron or the Amsoil Quickshot have both really worked well for me ! :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.