The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Valier tourney  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Valier tourney
« on: Feb 22, 2005, 02:32 AM »
Hey there guys, just a little info about lake Francis

We fished the tourney there last weekend, and fished the south side from the fireman pavillian.  The cold front moved in and killed the fishing.  The biggest fish taken was a 6 pound ling and second was a 5 pound northern.   The worst thing is that the ice all along the shore over there is very thin for a couple of feet out.  We crossed over to the good ice, 10 inches, by walking over some planks that someone with a 4 wheeler put down.  Due to the poor fishing they came in and left with their planks.  Sometime after that it started snowing and left a skift of snow so that we couldn't see where the thin ice was.  Both friends I was fishing with went through the ice in about 3 feet of water and it took us a while to find a good spot to cross over.  fortunently the other 60 people who were out by us followed our lead and got over with out any more problems.  If it was me I would have left the planks till everyone got off the ice.  So if you're ever in that situation remember you can always come back later and get your boards after the people clear off the ice.  And if anyone goes to Francis keep your eyes open around the shore and be aware that there were even a few spots that we found 4 inches of ice.  They were warning everyone about not driving vehicles on the ice and to take caution about even 4 wheelers. Hope this helps someone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.