New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 416964 times)

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2880 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:21 PM »
Good thoughts on the perch eyes, somehow I always forget to use them when I am catching the Dinks. I tried the northland perch eye with a small treble attached today at cuba.   Looks great and it glows but no takers  Going Eye hunting in the morning. 

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2881 on: Feb 17, 2020, 06:33 AM »
Eye Spy, glad you had a good time and caught some fish. Remember KARMA is a great thing. More important, based on your success you found out that "it's so easy even a "LAZYJIG" will catch a fish." Again CONGRATS...h2l
Northville, NY

Chute82

« Reply #2882 on: Feb 17, 2020, 02:53 PM »
I would like to thank everyone who helped Cam and I have a great weekend on Chautauqua! We caught a lot of perch at Mayville keeping 70 over the 2 days. Many of you reached out with advice and some  even invited us to tag along with you! You have no idea how much I appreciate your kind gestures. Cam is only 6 but is an outdoor fanatic and had an absolute last the past 2 days.
PS I want to send a personal shoutout to one member who I won’t name for his great advice.  He had posted about doing well so I sent him a pm asking for general info since this was to be my first time. His response was “read the 96 pages”. I love the guys who love to brag about their catch but not willing to help someone out. I would rather no reply at all. 
Thanks again to all that helped.

Not over yet, you still have to turn in the 1000 word essay on the 96 pages you read on Friday.please have it on my desk by this Friday. 

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2883 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:38 PM »
So switching topics, if anyone has ice reports after tonight/tomorrow I’d appreciate it. Im not looking for fish reports just ice conditions after rain. I know where I’d like to go just haven’t been on lake for a week. Looking to fish Wednesday. Thanks in advance

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2884 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Was out today at mayville.  Beautiful sunny day. Kids caught fish came home with some keepers. Ice was 2in kinda clear 4 in junk snow ice. I would just like to  warn people that coming  accessing the lake by the QuickFill gas station there is a man size hole where a person fell through on Friday  it is about 40 feet roughly offshore a little bit right handed.  It can be clearly seen now but by Thursday it might be skimmed over. It is probably only waist deep there or less but I am sure it would really surprise a kid. Mark :tipup:

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2885 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:56 PM »
Thank you for the report Mark, my plan as of now is to head there Wednesday. We fished there last Monday, but will keep eye on the weather

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2886 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Any updated reports?  Never fished the lake, but thinking about coming from Ohio on Saturday.  Thanks!

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #2887 on: Feb 21, 2020, 10:59 AM »
Are the perch still biting in Mayville?  How's the ice on Chautaugua still?  Might be making a trip Sunday.  Where are the gills in this lake?  We caught one out of the 200 fish we caught.  Any report is always appreciated.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline snowmandan76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2888 on: Feb 21, 2020, 01:12 PM »
Just got back from mayville ice is talking alot we moved all over and ice was 6 to 8 inches depending where you are but all mixed about half black clear and half or better of white  ice the top is slick and creepers definatly help  jumbo 3 inch perch for us about every other fish or so and it was alot of work to find what they like  changing constantly dropper rings and tungsten produced well good luck boys 3 hours kept 10 fish

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2889 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:34 PM »
Was in Maple Springs area. Same ice conditions. About 8" half clear, but rock hard. Took 30 turns of hand auger. One 12"walleye, and 1 8" perch in 6 hours. Handfull of bites. Brutally slow. Pretty windy today, no snow, and you needed creepers.  At least a hundred guys out between point Chautauqua, and long point. Seen 1 quad out.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2890 on: Feb 22, 2020, 09:38 PM »
Fished Mayville today, Sat from 7 am to 6 pm, me and my fishing partner caught 150+ perch and kept (66) 8-9", any fish less went back.  Went out of Lakeside Park and got out away from the crowd.  Ice was 8" and solid hard, needed ice creepers and the wind was brutal if you did not have a hut.  Holes we cut in the morning had 1/4" ice by late afternoon.  Ice did not get damaged today.

Offline Stevanus17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2891 on: Feb 23, 2020, 07:55 PM »

Started at mayville this morning, started shallow littered with 4” perch, tried deeper but wasn’t marking as much. Caught a couple keepers there then moved to long point and fished the weed edge in 7 foot of water. A lot less smaller fish over at long point. All in all not terrible kept 24 all together, lake seems to be over ran buy dink perch so nothing to impressive with the perch but all in all a good first time trip

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2892 on: Feb 23, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Ditto for silver lake.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2893 on: Feb 23, 2020, 08:05 PM »
Fished South of Lakeside Park again today.  Morning bit was tough but afternoon the perch were turned on.  Kept (48)  8-10", there were quit a few 10" today, one was 10-1/2".  Perch eyes again were the key for the bigger perch and you got to get out away from the Mayville crowd.  Ice was hard and 8" in the morning but by late afternoon the sun had made the top inch or so soft.  Warm temps and rain the next few days will most likely damage the ice.

Offline Stevanus17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2894 on: Feb 23, 2020, 08:31 PM »
Nice good to know , what foot of water ? Couldn’t mark anything deeper than 19

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2895 on: Feb 23, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Nice good to know , what foot of water ? Couldn’t mark anything deeper than 19

I did not say deeper, I said get out away from the Mayville crowd.  12.6 fow on my graph.  Same spot Sat and Sun.

Offline Stevanus17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2896 on: Feb 23, 2020, 09:00 PM »
I know you didn’t say deeper I was just saying that i did try deeper away from the crowd and it was unsuccessful for me. So you would’ve been fishing off to the right if you went out of lakeside park correct ?

Offline Stevanus17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2897 on: Feb 23, 2020, 09:00 PM »
Anyone catching any eyes ?

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2898 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:19 AM »
96 Perch in my bucket this weekend. 50 Saturday, 46 Sunday-North Side of LP. Fished walleye in the morning and evening on Sunday in the middle of the lake North of LP 36 FOW. Caught 1 Short eye each trip out, and also lost a few on the way up. Couldn’t ask for a better weekend on the ice.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2899 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:43 AM »
Fished Mayville yesterday after not getting much at Bemus in the morning.   Between 3 of us did good in 8 FOW using minnows and waxies.  60 fish kept total between 3 of us some really nice ones compared to other days out here.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2900 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:09 PM »
Fished Mayville yesterday after not getting much at Bemus in the morning.   Between 3 of us did good in 8 FOW using minnows and waxies.  60 fish kept total between 3 of us some really nice ones compared to other days out here.

Here is a tip:  minnows are fine if you like to spend money and bait up after most every bite.   I use perch eyes and they stay on the jig in good shape for about a dozen fish.  This weekend the perch were still hitting the eye when only the skin was left.  Perch eyes don't cost $$.  Give them a try next time.  They worked for me this weekend see above posts. Good luck

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2901 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:26 PM »
I said that to my brother once we ran out of minnows we should just use the eyes.   Appreciate the heads up definitely will work with that next trip tight lines to you perch chacer.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2902 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:11 PM »
I said that to my brother once we ran out of minnows we should just use the eyes.   Appreciate the heads up definitely will work with that next trip tight lines to you perch chacer.

If you use perch eyes you have to use a jig and jig fish for the perch.  Eyes won't work well on a deadstick like a live minnow does.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2903 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:45 PM »
Thanks for the information chacer, I used eyes tipped on my stingnose the other day with some success. Do you have any tips for getting the eyes out? I was using my thumb nail but some popped before I got them out and getting those slippery suckers on a tiny hook point is another challenge.   

Offline wnyicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2904 on: Feb 25, 2020, 07:43 AM »
Semi frozen works great. Let them sit on the ice to stiffen up. The pop out much easier. Run the hook behind the eye and the socket. Bring the hook out in a scooping motion. Eye pops out and generally don't need your fingers to squeeze them out.

Offline buckduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2905 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:02 AM »
I find a large paper clip is just the right size when I remember to take one out on the ice.
Perch were just out of the weeds this past Sunday in shallow 6.5’. And agree perch eyes are a great option to the big $$$$s they want for live bait this year. Perch were better up to 8.5” but nothing bigger.
Still zero for 3 on early or late walleye bite this year at previously good areas. That will made the first one or two all that much sweeter.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2906 on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Thanks for the information chacer, I used eyes tipped on my stingnose the other day with some success. Do you have any tips for getting the eyes out? I was using my thumb nail but some popped before I got them out and getting those slippery suckers on a tiny hook point is another challenge.

I use a pocket knife and large paperclip.  You need to cut the membrane all the way around the eye with your knife and then push a large paperclip in behind the eye and pull the eye out.  To make things easier take a few eyes out at home from your catch for the next time.  Place the eyes in a small container with water and freeze until you go again then thaw out and pour the water off.

Offline Mytipupisbiggerthanyours

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2907 on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:24 PM »
I use a pocket knife and large paperclip.  You need to cut the membrane all the way around the eye with your knife and then push a large paperclip in behind the eye and pull the eye out.  To make things easier take a few eyes out at home from your catch for the next time.  Place the eyes in a small container with water and freeze until you go again then thaw out and pour the water off.

I do the exact same thing. Great way to keep some perch eyes available. Some days it will make or break your day.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2908 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:45 PM »
Thank you. I am on it. I use baby food jars for egg sacks so now I can fill one with perch eyes. Will they last a year in the freezer? Different topic, but, How about crappies eyes for bait? 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2909 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:07 PM »
Thank you. I am on it. I use baby food jars for egg sacks so now I can fill one with perch eyes. Will they last a year in the freezer? Different topic, but, How about crappies eyes for bait?
If the perch eyes are covered in water and frozen I would think they would be OK.  I do not keep any over the Summer, I always buy my mousees and spikes from a wholesaler so I have starter bait.  As for crappies eyes, I do not fish for them but I do think they would be too big for perch, but give them a try, and let us know.  I do know walleye eyes do work for walleyes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.