Author Topic: Frabill Recon Remodel  (Read 28112 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Frabill Recon Remodel
« Reply #30 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:22 PM »
Looking forward to the details!

BaitBucket - before I modded the Recon I used to keep my hole hoping bucket in it as a seat and I always sat offset like that because my auger and heater were at my right side when sitting down...I kinda got used to the arrangement. I'm upgrading to a HB Helix next year so the finder between my legs will be done. That might impact where the seat is. I use my Lil Buddy quite a bit when its under 25*'s like it was most of last season. With the reflectix I shouldn't need the heater nearly as much. I dress light and move around a lot - some of my spots require a 2 mile hike.

I hear yah man. In MA we get temps down into the teens and into single digits with the windchill. I am usually moving to much to sit inside my flip over. 60-80 holes per trip is about the average.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:13 PM »
I had this out over new years week and it did pretty well...pulls great on ice, but my trip to the Dubuque/Wisconsin Mississippi backwaters included a 1/3 mile hike through the woods on a beat down mud trail. It wasn't the greatest lol

We have about 9" of powdery snow on the ground right now - very cold and windy. My Helix DI/GPS comes tomorrow and will be mounted up to the sled before I go out Sunday and all of next week (vacation!). I'll get some pictures and we'll see how the Recon holds up in the nasty weather :)

Catchin' Fish

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to answer my pm. I don't know how much mod I'll do with mine, but you've definitely given me some ideas.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Thanks Dave! If you add anything to yours post up some pictures to share.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Nice looking mods! Hopefully I'll get to see it on the ice this year.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Nicely done, Matzilla. I have the same shanty and got a few really good ideas. I was thinking of the battery box idea but never considered running the light wires through the conduit. Very cool.

A couple other mods you may want to consider: I added a hyfax kit to mine to protect the sled. I also just finished building a 31" wide smitty sled for it. Your setup is already pretty light but with the distances you travel, it may be worth it.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Kevin, I will be out on my usual spots starting this Sunday and all week after that...pm me if you're free and we'll meet up

fish8mybait - I'm planning on putting 3 runners on the sled during the summer so I stop ripping the sled up lol do you have any pictures of your smitty?

Catchin' Fish

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:16 PM »
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Be8pZvoonKRlF5SFE2M0dGLVk/edit?usp=docslist_api
Not sure if this will work or not....never posted pics.

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:24 PM »
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Be8pZvoonKZkNISXdaZXNyTTQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Be8pZvoonKaG9JcDRnNk82UEU/edit?usp=docslist_api

Not perfect but you can check it out. Pretty simple. Bought a set of cheap downhill skis from the thrift store a 2X4, 2X8, stainless eye bolts to strap or bungee the shanty down. Two eye bolts in front for the pull rope. I was able to find some reflective neon rope and tied that to carabiners. Also wrapped some extra rope around the rope so it doesn't dig into my hands as much. Hope this helps.

Offline Roffman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:47 AM »
Matzilla,
Is your lil buddy just free standing or is it mounted in there? Very nice looking mods.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:18 AM »
That smitty looks great!

The little buddy is free standing, I was going to mount it to a 4" pvc union but it didn't seem to fit well anywhere in the tub.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Frabill Fanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Matzilla - Thanks for posting and sharing. Great work! I would love to talk to you further about your mods and ice fishing gear. If you could email me at [email protected] I would appreciate it.

Offline 4chevys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Awesome job matzilla.  I can't wait until you build a bass boat. 

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:59 PM »
Updates...

Installed my Frabill Hyfax runner kit tonight

This should help a little bit...the deep snow didn't stick around too long around here but the runners will keep my sled from wearing down. It should be a big help when pulling through some nasty slush on the late ice this year.

I ditched the HB Pmax 175 and got a new HB Helix 5 di/gps. Mounted it up using the same old swing arm I made for the 175. This thing works extremely well for ice fishing!

I ended up removing the Reflectix from the back of the tent...the Velcro didn't hold it to the tub well and I got tired of it flapping around. I still stay plenty warm with the remaining Reflectix intact. I've only had to use the Little Buddy heater twice this year so far.

The fog light mounted on the front has been priceless...plenty of light for those dark night hikes back to the truck and hands free.

Honestly I couldn't be happier with the sled - all of my gear fits like a glove, it transports well, hole hops well and stands up to some fierce wind without many problems. It is still light enough to get around easily...I pulled it up and over a 40' tall levee yesterday with out a problem.

I'm going to bend the front hoop to lay flat on the ice tomorrow. I haven't had too many issues with wind blowing under but its an easy mod

Catchin' Fish

Offline bucktownboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2015, 04:37 AM »
Matzilla , when attaching reflectix to the back inside of the shanty . Use 3M adhesive spray to hold it in place .
 My question is now after a few times out . How do you like your seat ???  I've read that you hole hop . How many hours do you spend sitting in it ???  I'm looking to lighten up my frabill commando and those seats are heavy .

Bucktownboy

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2015, 12:57 PM »
I like it a lot! The seat is the perfect height for me (commando seat is a little tall and makes me hunch over) and pretty comfy. When hopping I'll pop about 10 to 15 holes, clean them out, drag the sled to each one and flop the ducer down the hole. I'll fish it for a couple of minutes even if I don't see any fish. If I catch something I stay, if I don't I move on.

Catchin' Fish

Offline mike 7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Wow. Well done it looks great

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:26 PM »
hyfax makes pulling the sled much easier....might not be a huge help in deep snow but the difference on clear ice, over downed trees, down my driveway, etc is night and day. Pulled the sled fully loaded today over a mile on the ice and through a small island pass.

Catchin' Fish

Offline RustyDodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Sep 25, 2015, 10:41 AM »
Nice updates...Did you make something for the transducer for your Helix?  I have one also and I'm trying to figure something out as a do it yourself type mod.  Also did the Helix ever freeze up and how well does the down image work?

Thanks

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Sep 25, 2015, 10:31 PM »
Nice updates...Did you make something for the transducer for your Helix?  I have one also and I'm trying to figure something out as a do it yourself type mod.  Also did the Helix ever freeze up and how well does the down image work?

Thanks

I just toss the transducer in the hole..no need for anything else. It never freezes up - color lcd's aren't affected by cold as the old grayscale LCD's were. Especially when LED backlit like the Helix. I don't use the DI transducer - just a 200/455khz 2D skimmer.

Catchin' Fish

Offline RustyDodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Sep 28, 2015, 07:33 AM »
Thanks...I will give it a try...

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2015, 05:22 PM »
New stuff...

added a pair of LED fog lights to replace the single halogen fog light I used before - shouldn't strain the battery as much

I made some upright rod holders out of ABS, the base blind mounts via the wood plugs which are through bolted to the raised ribs in the sled. I'm going to add some Velcro straps to help secure the rods

I added a 20* bend to the front hoop to help keep the skirt on the ground - not shown is about a 7* counter bend to help the front of the hoop lay flat on the ice. I didn't want to shorten the hoop too much and make the sides flap in the wind.

More to come as time allows!

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:58 PM »
Awesome stuff man! I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Eskimo Quickflip 1, and you've given me tons of ideas to mod it out already. Thanks for posting pics, and keeping us updated.

Offline JKaboom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:12 AM »
Very impressive   :) - gives me tons of ideas on mods of my rig (though I do not have that type of hut).

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:00 AM »
Very nice job on the mods, I can tell you put a lot of thought into them, Well done! :clap:
Fish on!

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Looking at getting a flip over for 2 at the end of the ice season and if all goes well ill definitly be using some of your light wiring tricks for inside and outside of the shack pretty sweet rig you got there as it sits!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Thanks guys....I will get some pictures of a method I used to widen the bars at the mounting brackets. I am 100% sure the front hoop is going to get replaced with some conduit from work - I want it to lay flat on the ice so the darn skirting doesn't flap around

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 24, 2016, 11:33 AM »
I just purchased a Recon. What is the best way to attach the reflectix to the fabric? Sounds like you had some issues with the velcro. I was actually looking at purchasing a Helix 5 as well for my boat, but like the fact that an ice ducer works on it in the winter time too. Sweet set up you have.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:45 PM »
Thanks! I ended up with reflectix mounted from the front to the top - the back section is not insulated. When it is sunny outside I face the back to the sun which greatly helps in warming the shack. The reflectix simply passes over the hoops and has slots cut in it for the Velcro straps to pass through. I noticed 0 difference in having 3/4 of the tent covered in reflectix vs all of it.

The Helix works great on the ice - I really like my DI/GPS and will likely get a 9" version one of these days

Catchin' Fish

Offline SeanGilmour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Nov 26, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Thanks for this mod post it is what I was looking for

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.