The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Aroostook County  (Read 1972 times)

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
Aroostook County
« on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:41 AM »
Anybody still fishing Square, Cross or Long Lake in the County?  curious about the conditions..

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Aroostook County
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2019, 07:08 AM »
I came across Square Sunday morning and it was raining a bit and pretty much glare ice.  I am guessing it softened a little Sunday but by now I am sure its rock hard again.  was still burying the auger but half of it is junk ice and will go quick once things warm up.  Wheeler would be the vehicle of choice as lubrication is a problem if you don't have a fan cooled machine.  We came in from Burnt Landing.  I did see a group of guys haul a shack out in front of the Cross Thoroughfare area and fish all night Saturday night.  They are the only ones I saw fishing all weekend and probably only saw 10 sleds or so go across the lake but that I believe is because it wasn't a good weekend for riding.  I think you still got two weekends of decent travel and fishing as long as we stay away from 45-50 degrees and rain.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Thanks for the Information :)

Offline icehole84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2019, 11:59 AM »
How is the smelt fishing up there this time of year on Long? Does it slow down as the season progresses?  Do they move to different areas?  Did pretty well up there earlier in the season - thinking about coming up again but I like to have some smelts to keep me entertained while Im waiting for salmon. Thanks much

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2019, 12:50 PM »
some of the lakes get better for smelts eat the end of the season. they start to stage in front of brooks and rivers preparing for the spawn.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Found out today from Warden Service that Madawaska Lake was not extended! 

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2019, 02:07 PM »
I would check on that.  Unless I am missing something, the legislation stated that the extension was for any water body open to ice fishing on March 31st (extension started 4/1/19).  Madawaska Lake was open on March 31st.

Under extension enacted by Camuso, waters open to ice fishing as of March 31 in the north region will continue to be open from Monday, April 1 through Sunday, April 21. All rules and regulations for those waters that are open to ice fishing in the north region will remain in effect.

From the Law book

MADAWASKA LAKE (INCLUDING LITTLE MADAWASKA LAKE), T16 R4 WELS, Westmanland (North Region). General fishing laws apply, except: Open to ice fishing from February 15 - March 31. S-2, S-3, S-19. Tributaries upstream to the first road crossing: CI. S-1, S-19. Lake open to open water fishing from October 1 - November 30: ALO, S-7.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2019, 02:09 PM »
I Texted Gary Sibley and he said Madawaka lake is not an extended season Lake.    crap I almost went there last weekend.   **censored**

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Actually he is maybe correct.  I'm now hearing it is Class B waters only.  If that is the case, Scopan isn't even open as it is an A.

Nothing can be simple.

Edit as I'm a dumbass.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2019, 02:35 PM »
"A"  lakes are open until April 30th anyway  :P

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2019, 02:39 PM »
That is true.  I'm all discombobulated.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2019, 03:17 PM »
That is true.  I'm all discombobulated.
Probably because your mind is already someplace much warmer than here. @)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:05 PM »
I Texted Gary Sibley and he said Madawaka lake is not an extended season Lake.    crap I almost went there last weekend.   **censored**

I wouldn't take warden Sibley's word on this. If I wanted to fish Madawaska Lake I would call IFW's main office in Augusta and ask them. The wording of IFW's own press release says "waters that are open to ice fishing as of March 31 in the north region will continue to be open from April 1 through Sunday, April 21." Since Madawaska Lake is open on March 31, the extension should apply. Game wardens can be wrong just like anyone else.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:51 PM »
I wouldn't take warden Sibley's word on this. If I wanted to fish Madawaska Lake I would call IFW's main office in Augusta and ask them. The wording of IFW's own press release says "waters that are open to ice fishing as of March 31 in the north region will continue to be open from April 1 through Sunday, April 21." Since Madawaska Lake is open on March 31, the extension should apply. Game wardens can be wrong just like anyone else.

I agree with everything you said but....

A press release isn't the rule change.  IF&W's press release is incorrect. 

I guess I don't know how hard it would have been to write  "All Class B waters that were open to icefishing in the northern region as of March 31 are open until April 21."  Madawaska Lake is a special exception lake and neither a Class A or B.  I believe, but don't quote me on this, that it is the only one in Aroostook County like that.

An even easier solution is to have fishing season from January 1 to September 30.  Use whatever method is appropriate.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2019, 05:37 PM »
The bill signed into law by Governor Mills gave Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Commissioner Judy Camuso the authority to extend the season when conditions permit." "Under extension enacted by Camuso, waters open to ice fishing as of March 31 in the north region will continue to be open from Monday, April 1 through Sunday, April 21."
 Either the press release is incorrect or Warden Sibley is incorrect. I don't know which is correct which is why I recommend going over Warden Sibley's head and asking someone if IFW's Augusta office. I was unable to find Comissioner Camuso's rule change. My guess is that the people in the commissioner's office will say the press release is correct.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:01 PM »
The legislation allows the commissioner to set seasons. It said nothing about B waters or April 21

The Rule was developed by IFW and is different than the press release.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2019, 06:35 AM »
I understand that the rule and the press release are two different things. Has anyone commenting here actually read the rule? If anyone fights a ticket for fishing on Madawaska Lake I am pretty sure a judge would dismiss the case and tell IFW that they can't make rule that says one thing and tell the public something else.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.