The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Last Day At West Grand....  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Last Day At West Grand....
« on: Apr 01, 2019, 06:21 AM »
Good last trip up! Kinda slow bite, but we did OK!

Left late anticipating rain. It didn’t rain but the wind was fierce! At the end, I was chasing gear and my hat down the lake! Glad it was warm!!!

I took a friend that hadn’t been ice fishing in a while and never caught a whitefish. We found a couple recently used holes and I began to show him how to use the sonar and some tips on jigging whitefish. As soon as the jig got to bottom a fish bumped the jig. about a minute later the first whitefish was on it’s way up! I guess I showed him how to do it! haha. After that, it was sloooooowwww. I put out 5 tip-ups while Oscar worked the jig rod. He didn’t end up with anything jigging, but did catch a nice togue and a 18” whitefish on the traps. We ended up with 4 whites and that laker. We had a few more flags, lost a whitefish at the hole and had a few more bites and chasers.

Just before we left I caught this little one and figured it would look good in the frying pan! It sure did and tasted even better!!!

Didn’t get any pics on the ice. Here’s my last ice spring 2019 limit! Looking forward to next year already! Caught 2 PB whites this year. Both 19.5ish. The target to beat next year!! Next trip with be some open water crappies in the brush piles!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Sherpa

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Last Day At West Grand....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Great pics!!  Sad to see ice fishing winding down but can’t wait for open water action. Good luck on the crappies they sure are tasty.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Nice catch, you should brown up that second one a bit. ;D ;D ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Nice catch clam farmer, we're gonna give it one more trip a little farther north on Saturday. Maybe we'll see you on W. G. next year.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Nice catch clam farmer, we're gonna give it one more trip a little farther north on Saturday. Maybe we'll see you on W. G. next year.

Looks like I’m headed a little farther north myself Saturday! Almost had to think about it...... hahaha!  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:02 AM »
  Looking good.  Too bad it is the last West Grand trip for you.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:09 AM »
  Looking good.  Too bad it is the last West Grand trip for you.
West Grand closes March 31. Apparently I’m headed to another whitefish place Saturday!!! It was very difficult talking myself into it. hahaha. A few guys are getting together there beef the ice is gone. Should be a blast!!!

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:31 AM »
You sure do like the white fish nice ones!
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.