The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 7221 times)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Global Warming
« on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:56 AM »
  The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in
some places the seals are finding the water too hot according to a
report to the Commerce Department yesterday from the Consulate at
Bergen, Norway.
 Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a
radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard of
temperatures in the Arctic zone.
 Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as
far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.
 Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm
 Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and
stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers
have entirely disappeared.
 Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern
Arctic,while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before
ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing
grounds.
  Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea
will rise and make most coast cities uninhabitable.

I must apologize. I neglected to mention that this report was from
November 2 , 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The
Washington Post 96 years ago. This must have been caused by the Model
T Ford's emissions or possibly from horse and cattle farts.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:31 AM »
I saw a report that the Greenland ice mass is growing

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:20 AM »
I saw the same info on Greenland, and as for global warming, it has been a long cold snowy winter starting last October.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2019, 09:05 AM »
I saw a report that the world will end in 12 years!

That was 15 years ago hmmmm wonder what happend

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2019, 09:15 AM »
There is a different between "global warming" and climate change.  Fact is the climate is and has always been changing.  Think ice ages etc.  The debate is how much impact humans have on these changes and if we can control it - not whether or not it is changing. 

Regardless if you think humans are accelerating the warming or not effecting the change at all, we all should be able to admit that humans are mostly wasteful, polluting individuals. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2019, 09:15 AM »
That was a 1922 report 97 years ago

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Wonder how much impact erupting volcanoes and the heat they throw off and the lava flowing into the water and rising water temps has to do with any of this?
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Ring a ding ding...clamfarmer 3 2 1....he will educate ya.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Ring a ding ding...clamfarmer 3 2 1....he will educate ya.

Oh boy fasten your seatbelts . That's why I block his posts . My blood pressure can't take it .

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Well if it’s online it has to be true  ???
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:43 PM »
I'm still waiting and the all knowing clamfarmer hasn't schooled me yet

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:51 PM »
Wonder how much impact erupting volcanoes and the heat they throw off and the lava flowing into the water and rising water temps has to do with any of this?

Erupting volcanoes can impact climate change in two major ways. The first one is the emission of green house gases like CO 2, this causes heat to trap inside the atmosphere and heat up the air. The second one is ash in the atmosphere. This prevents the sun from hitting the ground and the effect is a cooler air temperature.

I am sure clamfarmer can add to this.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:13 PM »
When you stop and think about Campfires they only last as long as they have fuel. I would think that Volcanoes would eventually burn out of fuel. After several hundred years. Probably all the Solar panels we are putting up are creating extra heat as they give us  electricity generation .???

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2019, 09:54 PM »
Climate change is a natural occurrence, the planet has gone through many many cycles before we were here. In fact, if it wasn’t because of climate change we as a species may not be here and more evolved dinosaurs would be in charge. global climate change leads to mass extinction, that’s what we should be worried about. How are we going to survive the next shift. The things we are putting into the environment may be accelerating the shift, but it’s going to happen regardless. If we muck it up too much with pollution and toxic wastes, we will have a hard time trying clean it out of our resources for it to be usable. But hey, we fixed the hole in the ozone layer we caused, so if we take steps like that we can extend our stay a bit longer.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2019, 05:01 AM »
Thank you gentlemen!

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2019, 07:03 AM »
  The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in
some places the seals are finding the water too hot according to a
report to the Commerce Department yesterday from the Consulate at
Bergen, Norway.
 Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a
radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard of
temperatures in the Arctic zone.
 Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as
far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.
 Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm
 Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and
stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers
have entirely disappeared.
 Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern
Arctic,while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before
ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing
grounds.
  Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea
will rise and make most coast cities uninhabitable.

I must apologize. I neglected to mention that this report was from
November 2 , 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The
Washington Post 96 years ago. This must have been caused by the Model
T Ford's emissions or possibly from horse and cattle farts.

As documented elsewhere, the warming phenomena observed in 1922 proved to be indicative only of a local event in Spitzbergen, not a trend applicable to the Arctic as a whole.

This was a newspaper article you probably reposted off Facebook because it fits your own beliefs.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2019, 07:24 AM »
I Guess you forgot about the industrial revolution with a ridiculous burning of coal everywhere. Its funny that people think cars are the only source we have started to use that burns and release these gases. There was not a northwest passage ever in recorded history until recently due to melting ice, Glacier national park has no glaciers.....how exactly is this still even a debatable topic????????????? Climate changing warm to cold has a natural cycle long and slow....humans are accelerating the cycle. Tell me whens the last time you could eat a fish from the ocean that did not contain mercury......
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Come on ….  everyone knows global warming is caused by cow farts  :o
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2019, 12:05 PM »

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:38 AM »
I'm not jumping on any bandwagon, that's for sure, but I think it's pretty ignorant to believe that we humans aren't having some kind of effect on the earth with how we treat it. We consume and consume, we clear cut huge swaths of flora and fauna, sometimes covering that with impermeable asphalt and concrete, we pump out and mine untold gazillions of the earths mass and burn it. Every once in a while we irradiate the ever loving ---- out of the earth and atmosphere with ultra refined uranium. We fill our oceans with man made material that has a half life of an eighth of a million years. You can't tell me that almost 8 billion of us and counting aren't going to have SOME kind of an effect on the planet. However if I'm honest, I would be amazed if we made it long enough to kill the planet, because it's possible that we will do the job ourselves LONG before that.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2019, 09:03 AM »
All the land fills filled with waste that was not recycled but capped over are producing Methane gas  our biggest problem. all waste should be recycled .The products we use like plastics should not be allowed to be Manufactured. Methane should be burned and not let go into our atmosphere .AMEN

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Climate change - warming etc i was lucky enough to visit Baffin Island Canada just west of Greenland in 1984.
Today the summer extent of sea ice is 800 miles north of the summer extent back in 84. Sure cycle has happened
many times over last million years but 8,000,000,000 people could be affecting the climate. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:52 AM »
Climate change - warming etc i was lucky enough to visit Baffin Island Canada just west of Greenland in 1984.
Today the summer extent of sea ice is 800 miles north of the summer extent back in 84. Sure cycle has happened
many times over last million years but 8,000,000,000 people could be affecting the climate.
Facts, Physical Evidence, Documented historical events don’t mean a thing to lemmings with cute red maga hats headed over the cliff trying to take us with them and kill their own futures.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:55 AM »

"The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2 Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.3

The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2019, 05:02 AM »
Glad you all missed me. hahaha

I see a LOT of unsupported and unsubstantiated posts on this thread. Not particularly new, interesting or informed.... blather.. Certainly NOT cognizant.

If 97 people that were a a lake tell you a lake isn’t safe to fish this weekend, and three others that haven’t been on that lake tell you you can drive right on; are YOU planning to fish it?

OK Grubb662, Gasblaster, wood chip and  Linedogg104, show your sources that can be backed up with references and corroborating studies or just shut up!  ;D :roflmao:

Meanwhile, I see there are some sane and conscious folks on this thread. NICE! Some sanity among the lost children.  :thumbsup:

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2019, 05:15 AM »
"Global Warming: News, Facts, Causes & Effects
Global warming is the term used to describe a gradual increase in the average temperature of the Earth's atmosphere and its oceans, a change that is believed to be permanently changing the Earth’s climate. There is great debate among many people, and sometimes in the news, on whether global warming is real (some call it a hoax). But climate scientists looking at the data and facts agree the planet is warming. While many view the effects of global warming to be more substantial and more rapidly occurring than others do, the scientific consensus on climatic changes related to global warming is that the average temperature of the Earth has risen between 0.4 and 0.8 °C over the past 100 years. The increased volumes of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases released by the burning of fossil fuels, land clearing, agriculture, and other human activities, are believed to be the primary sources of the global warming that has occurred over the past 50 years. Scientists from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate carrying out global warming research have recently predicted that average global temperatures could increase between 1.4 and 5.8 °C by the year 2100. Changes resulting from global warming may include rising sea levels due to the melting of the polar ice caps, as well as an increase in occurrence and severity of storms and other severe weather events.” https://www.livescience.com/topics/global-warming

"President Trump, who once called climate change a hoax, said that he doesn't believe the findings of potentially devastating impacts. The President has since backed away from his assertion that climate change is a hoax, but apparently feels that the threat is overstated.

Let's review what we know to be true, what is understood about the greenhouse effect, and how models can be effectively used to make predictions. In a follow-up article, I will address a frequently overlooked tool for helping to address climate change.

Indisputable Facts

Here are facts, accepted by almost everyone. I still encounter some people who don't accept them, but that doesn't change that these facts are demonstrated by multiple lines of evidence.

First, the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide has risen steadily since humans began to use large quantities of coal during the Industrial Revolution. The atmosphere has now reached levels of carbon dioxide that have never been seen in the history of human civilization. The record over the past 60 years looks like this:.....” https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/11/29/indisputable-facts-on-climate-change/#70faae373d05

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2019, 05:33 AM »
My blood pressure can't take it .

Psychological indications of this condition say my posts create angst in your psyche. What this means is, at levels below you conscious level (which are apparently unfathomably shallow), my words have found their mark and caused your subconscious to question your conscious.  ;D

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:07 AM »
Psychological indications of this condition say my posts create angst in your psyche. What this means is, at levels below you conscious level (which are apparently unfathomably shallow), my words have found their mark and caused your subconscious to question your conscious.  ;D

WO HO Fish On!!!! Its a Copy and Post King!!! Hook Line and Sinker. I knew you would take the bait!!!! HAHAHA You, Bernie, AOC have been sniffing too many unicorn farts and snorting fairy dust. #walkaway, the ones with any speck of brains are moving over here with us. We are getting sick of the lefts wacko ideas.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Glad you all missed me. hahaha

I see a LOT of unsupported and unsubstantiated posts on this thread. Not particularly new, interesting or informed.... blather.. Certainly NOT cognizant.

If 97 people that were a a lake tell you a lake isn’t safe to fish this weekend, and three others that haven’t been on that lake tell you you can drive right on; are YOU planning to fish it?

OK Grubb662, Gasblaster, wood chip and  Linedogg104, show your sources that can be backed up with references and corroborating studies or just shut up!  ;D :roflmao:

Meanwhile, I see there are some sane and conscious folks on this thread. NICE! Some sanity among the lost children.  :thumbsup:
Not sure why your jumping on me. maybe you should go back and read what I said.  ??? Or maybe you just like to lash out at random people because you only read bits and pieces.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2019, 07:46 AM »
The one thing that is certain, is that NONE of us will be around to see the outcome...h2l
Northville, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.