Author Topic: Hooks for tip ups  (Read 19659 times)

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hooks for tip ups
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:15 PM »
<==  Single #8 treble hook, hooked behind the dorsal fin of a 5" minnow.

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:49 PM »
You guys need to use a little bit smaller hooks were not fishing for 500lb tuna! We use a single size 10 treble with the biggest pike shiners you'll find.
what size bait and how do you hook your bait with 10 treble?  it just seems as though it would be more difficult to hook a big one with such a small hook especially if it's buried in the bait

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:19 AM »
You've seen the pike I catch, Never once broken or straightened one. We also use 15lb mono. You have to play the fish, not pull them in like a winch.
I agree with you 100%... I am using small hooks also. Have not missed a fish yet this season. I am using 50# flouro though. #10 eagle claw trebles... I also use #6 VMC sureset hooks. The big hooks are like a big goofy looking earring to me...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:39 AM »
right now i have 3/0 octopus hooks.  going back to my trout fishing days; you wanted smaller hooks for better presentation and more fish. ya id miss some. but you might be onto something with the smaller hooks for gators. I would just have to believe those smaller ones have a chance of breaking off or straightening out when going for twenty pound gators.

Offline DeLiarDaRuler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:16 AM »
 Swedish hooks with a big fat dead smelt on them.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2010, 12:04 PM »
I switched from GAmakatzu to Owner trebles.  They do not get dull after a couple of fish.  They are also a lot stronger. 

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:02 PM »
#4 or #6 trebles work the best for me

Offline jigmaster22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:20 AM »
this year I started using the natural rig by big tooth tackle with big dead shiners and suckers with good success, its made or 2 steel leaders to separate trebles, instead of the 1 line with 2 trebles on the traditional quick strike rig, allowing the bait to sit perfectly horizontal.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:15 PM »
I have good success with 3/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks.They are very sharp.I use 6 to 7 inch smelt with the hook through the back so the bait is horizontal in the water.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

icewagon

« Reply #39 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:47 AM »
All the pictures of pike attacking a bait or just a picture of a pike going after a smaller fish the pike slams the fish from the side and grabs the fish in the middle .If you put your hook threw the bait at the dorsal fin, the second that fish hits the bait he has the bait and the hook in his mouth  - set the hook. The fish than has the hook just inside the mouth it can be released with no harm. Also the bait hangs like swims natural .I see guys all the time fishing for pike or pickerel waiting for the fish to stop, after that first run, for the fish to turn that bait around and swallow it . Sometimes they just drop it, if they do swallow it its a keeper then. A fish doesn't have much blood if its bleeding its gonna die ,   use a big treble in the dorsal!

Offline Waterwolf Doug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:49 AM »
I use #10 Mustad trebles on my tip-ups with a #20lb florocarbon leader. Rarely have I lost a pike with these. The largest was a 52" musky 2 years ago on lake St Clair that was caught and released. I hook the sucker or shiner in the back infront of the dorsal fin, most of the bait ranges from 4-8"

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:52 PM »
SIngle hooks for C&R purposes...  7/O octopus hooks with a 10" dead herring or smaller for shiners.
1/0 or2/0 circle for smaller minnows (4-6") rarely not hooked in the corner of the mouth

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:45 PM »
# 8 Owner trebles on either a 30# Surflon micro supreme wire quickstrike rig or a 20# floro quickstrike rig.
3-5" bluegill for bait.
Always in the corner of the mouth and never had a hook straightened.
Pike up to 20# so far.
3/0 hooks are for saltwater fish.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:29 PM »
2/0 Mustad Lite wire Demon Circle hook.

Offline King Fisher22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:53 PM »
I make my own quickstrike rigs with two 5/0 trebles.  But the bait I use is 8-11".   ;D
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAG!  Or should I say.... BELL!

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:19 PM »
I have a problem - I have made a few Quick Strikes with 20 lbs flouro and #2 trebles. I don't use the shrink wrap on the one treble tho and just let it slide on the line where ever it needs to be... I have caught decent pike and have noticed I get more flags than most of the guys around me but I also get a lot of drag and drops or I set the hook but don't get the hook up. Here is my question - Does the shrink wrap allow the first (free floating hook) to get a better hook set bc of the added friction or does the problem lie with the size of hook I use and the pike can feel it? Or is it both? Thanks Guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.