Author Topic: Need some advice on setting the hook, and gettng broke off?????  (Read 4053 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Re: Need some advice on setting the hook, and gettng broke off?????
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:45 PM »
As for the circle hooks.... i've never had good luck with them, especially with pike. I was running about 1:4 ratio, I'd feel stready pressure for a couple pulls, then it'd let go. Just my experience with them.

There seem to work better for bass from what I've seen.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:28 PM »
With circles I tend to set the hook with a moderate long pull when the fish is moving away slow.  If its moving slow I know its mouth is closed, and the leader isn't going to be put under enough tension to bite or snap off on a modest hookset.  I also dont go under the baits spine with the hook, when rigging it up.  I wouldn't say I have missed any more fish using circles than I have with any other hook.  I have heard/know others that don't care for them...  I would say they are worth a try atleast.  Maybe you will like them maybe you won't.  My favorite is a Gamakatsu 1/0 Inline Straight Eye Octopus circle.

Offline oldman50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:32 AM »
First off, I'de like to appolagize to any one I may have offended from my posts. I am a caretaker on a private lake here in upstate NY. I am also self employed and this time of year is slow for me, so I am fishing this lake everyday from Jan thru March. Like I said before, the average pike in this lake are 35 to 38", so I get my share of decent sized pike to practice on. We also have a very good population of Largemouths here that are very active through the winter months. Alot of the bigger bass are caught on tip ups every year. I fish for the bass in the summer and catch alot of them that are throat hooked with trebles. There are increasing amounts the past few years. Two yrs ago I imparted a catch and release program and it's doing quite well. Numbers are up and I will probably be able to drop the C+R program in a yr or 2. I am concerned now about all of these throat hooked fish. I know that it's a common thing that happens while ice fishing. It happens to me now and then. The past two yrs I used mono all the time. Had to check line often for abrasions. It got to the point where I was coming home with a bunch of hooks that had to be retied. Went through alot of 40 and 50lb test floro. Then the break offs started. One morning I was fishing with Irish Jigger and I broke off the pike of the yr. Had this mammoth at the hole twice and could'nt get a hold of his gill. His eye was the size of a quarter. I was sure I had the biggest pike of my season, and my life. That's when he went into the death spin and sawed me right off clean. Just like a fresh razor cut through it. I went back to steel and I'm stayin with it. If I had landed that fish it would have been released and I would have a replica made. I was a fly fishing guide for 15yrs so C+R is the only way I go. As we chat on this forum, we sometimes don't know anything about who we are talking to. Because of the past fly tying seminars I have done along with the guiding, I am only allowed to give advice from my own experience. Did not mean to offend anyone with with my grumpy old self. I love this site and have gotten alot of really good advice from it. When I hear a question, I want to answer it with what I know and I know that all of you guys do as well. I'm gonna leave it at that. 

Offline oldman50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Sorry forgot to add thanks to pike addict, I will try those hooks. I have heard alot about them and it sounds like you just have to get used to them. I use 1\0 now in the long shanks. I would use mono if I could keep it out of the inside of there mouth.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:53 PM »
no, thats okay i sent you a PM (old man).
i have used circle hooks in open water. on thing i have noticed is you have to use a good sized circle for it to perform well, i like using smaller hooks. and i also like setting the hook on a fish, one of my favorite parts of fishing is that second when i set the hook and feel the weight. so i gave up on them. it takes some getting used to circles. i used those gamagatsu ones and they are hella sharp.
i thank all of you for your help! when i get a nice one i will post it up. here is a pic of my first pike ever..

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:08 PM »

I am concerned now about all of these throat hooked fish. I know that it's a common thing that happens while ice fishing. It happens to me now and then.

Have you ever tried any of the quick strike rigs?  I tie my own up sometimes and the fish NEVER get any of the hooks in their throat.  All the hooks are right in the kisser.  You never have to let the fish run, just walk to your tip-up and start to bring in the line, even if they are running.  You also hardly ever lose a fish as well. 
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline oldman50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:06 AM »
Nice pike for your first one Ironeagle.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Not a bad first one at all.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline yelik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:15 AM »
I feel the leader/floral/braid is over rated
I use berkley vinyl coated line with a berkley swivel- the snap kind. hooked up directly to a trebile hook. i would say my average is about 80% the other 20% the bait is in good shape meaning a bite wasnt taken. 41.5" biggest this year and about 40 fish on the ice so something is worken ha ha
vinyl line doesnt freeze so that is a bonus

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:21 PM »
It is all about the leader. Use a long steel leader and some good line and knot. It is the teeth that are messing you up. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.