Author Topic: Lake of The Woods  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Tyler_Leonhardt

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake of The Woods
« on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:26 PM »
I've been fishing lake of the woods(kenora area) for a while now during open water season, will the same spots produce through the ice?

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake of The Woods
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:58 AM »
Hey there,
I'd say if you find the humps and shoals in the warm water and fish them in the winter you should get reasonably the same type of success.
Just make sure the area has no current. Some spots like the Tangle can be deadly with the thin ice usually present. This year might be different with the lake so low and the flow so slow. There is ice virtually everywhere, even where you'd normally find open water. Be careful!
My advice to you is to either go out with somebody familiar with the lake or stay on the main ice roads and check out where other guys are fishing.
If you see them on snowmobiles don't drive your truck over. If you see them on foot don't drive your snowmobile over. If you see them swimming don't go over at all ;D

Take care,
Glen
PS - I've heard that the bite was really slow during the last cold snap. Things might look really good now that warmer temps are on us.

Offline Tyler_Leonhardt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:51 PM »
Hey there,
I'd say if you find the humps and shoals in the warm water and fish them in the winter you should get reasonably the same type of success.
Just make sure the area has no current. Some spots like the Tangle can be deadly with the thin ice usually present. This year might be different with the lake so low and the flow so slow. There is ice virtually everywhere, even where you'd normally find open water. Be careful!
My advice to you is to either go out with somebody familiar with the lake or stay on the main ice roads and check out where other guys are fishing.
If you see them on snowmobiles don't drive your truck over. If you see them on foot don't drive your snowmobile over. If you see them swimming don't go over at all ;D

Take care,
Glen
PS - I've heard that the bite was really slow during the last cold snap. Things might look really good now that warmer temps are on us.
[thanks for the heads up!]

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:57 PM »
Hey Snakehunter,

This was my first summer, and now my first winter on LOTW.  I have fished it out of Kenora twice this winter.  We did venture away from the ice roads a bit, on our snowmobile, without problems, but you are making me a little nervous.  We stayed clear of Devils Gap as we did not see any traffic through there.  I have limited knowledge of the landmarks, but can you tell me what areas we should steer clear of?  Are they that numerous that I should just stick to well traveled areas?

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:53 AM »
Hey,
The roads are pretty evident. The Devils Gap is always open at both ends.
The Tangle is around where St. Helena, Pickeral, Leisure Islands are.
I only go out of Kenora by the MNR landing. I am not familiar with the reserve road.
Best to look at a map and see where the channels are and figure that is where you'll find current.
Drop me PM when you're heading out next. Mabe we can hook up.
Regards,
Glen

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Hey,
The roads are pretty evident. The Devils Gap is always open at both ends.
The Tangle is around where St. Helena, Pickeral, Leisure Islands are.
I only go out of Kenora by the MNR landing. I am not familiar with the reserve road.
Best to look at a map and see where the channels are and figure that is where you'll find current.
Drop me PM when you're heading out next. Mabe we can hook up.
Regards,
Glen
Hey Glen,
Thanks for the reply.  Will try and remember to PM you next trip.
Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.