Author Topic: The ice is geting thicker...........  (Read 2333 times)

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
The ice is geting thicker...........
« on: Jan 28, 2007, 08:28 PM »
WEll maybe my Ice Shanty hat brought me some luck this weekend.

Well we had a non stop Walleye weekend.  We all met at the cabin and had a brown pop while getting ready to hit the ice. Fishing on the Friday was a bonus. Mat some friends of Hawg Hunter’s on the ice and they were doing quite well. These quys were getting some big fish. The guys got a few but nothing to brag about.

We got up at 5am on Sat and met Hawg at the put in. Hawg brought his ATV and shuttled us all out to the spot.

WE got set up just before full light and it was like a sea of  Fish Traps. Well I have been looking at other portables over the last two years and Clam sure makes a good product. Durable, reliable and comfortable.

Well the guys started to tie into some fish. I can’t even remember who got what first so here are some shots.

Everyone was doing well. I lost a few big ones right at the hole. Just like I could have reached out and grabbed them. Now when I first got out there I knew something was wrong. Couldn’t quite put me finger on it……..No tackle. I had left my tackle bag back at the cabin. I borrowed a Mr. Champ from Fishchaser and it was the lure of choice all day.
It was pretty cold on sat. and the huts seemed to only keep us so warm. Hawg disappered and showed up later with  Hot soup and buns. Man warmed me right to the toes.

So I was limited out and the bite had really slowed to back to the cabin for brown pop and kleen some fish.

Fishchaser did a great job on cleaning “All” the fish. FishingBarry cooked the fish .

Here’s a group shot with what we did not cook.

I was a little under the weather on Sun of I bowed out of fishing and the guys headed out to last years bay. Only a few Perch and a Pike so the guys were home by noon.  What a great weekend with good ice. 8” of Black beautiful ice.

Off all week so now its time to play on Simcoe.

RR
Be safe, Float!

grumpymoe

Re: The ice is geting thicker...........
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:04 PM »
I still want to know if its too late for dinner!! Grump  :P  WTG on the outing and pics..

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:49 AM »
great report and shots RR!!

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:57 AM »
WEll maybe my Ice Shanty hat brought me some luck this weekend.

Well we had a non stop Walleye weekend.  We all met at the cabin and had a brown pop while getting ready to hit the ice. Fishing on the Friday was a bonus. Mat some friends of Hawg Hunter’s on the ice and they were doing quite well. These quys were getting some big fish. The guys got a few but nothing to brag about.

We got up at 5am on Sat and met Hawg at the put in. Hawg brought his ATV and shuttled us all out to the spot.

(Image removed from quote.)

WE got set up just before full light and it was like a sea of  Fish Traps. Well I have been looking at other portables over the last two years and Clam sure makes a good product. Durable, reliable and comfortable.

Well the guys started to tie into some fish. I can’t even remember who got what first so here are some shots.

Everyone was doing well. I lost a few big ones right at the hole. Just like I could have reached out and grabbed them. Now when I first got out there I knew something was wrong. Couldn’t quite put me finger on it……..No tackle. I had left my tackle bag back at the cabin. I borrowed a Mr. Champ from Fishchaser and it was the lure of choice all day.
It was pretty cold on sat. and the huts seemed to only keep us so warm. Hawg disappered and showed up later with  Hot soup and buns. Man warmed me right to the toes.

So I was limited out and the bite had really slowed to back to the cabin for brown pop and kleen some fish.

Fishchaser did a great job on cleaning “All” the fish. FishingBarry cooked the fish .

Here’s a group shot with what we did not cook.

I was a little under the weather on Sun of I bowed out of fishing and the guys headed out to last years bay. Only a few Perch and a Pike so the guys were home by noon.  What a great weekend with good ice. 8” of Black beautiful ice.

Off all week so now its time to play on Simcoe.

RR

RR,

You mentioned Hawg Hunter's friends. I'm assuming that you ment the group of guys that was fishing just east of you with a bunch of clams and a couple of quads. I just happen to be out there. I fish with that group of guys all the time on the bay.  I'm headed back down there on Friday afternoon.

Good luck on Simcoe.

Fish_boy

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Hawg is pictured in the report. Do you know him. I had met ricky/Dicky on the Egier and there were a few more but I am bad at remembering names. Probally the same group. Were you on a Quad fish_boy? Maybe one guys name was Rob. There was a hut with a truck cap on top of it.

Grump............We'll make sure you get dinner bud. Trapper mentioned this was your stomping grounds. Quinte. Does this mean you get to fish like this all the time?

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Road Toad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:26 PM »
I know a great bread crum recipe, hint hint. Great pics, looks like a good time.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Hawg is pictured in the report. Do you know him. I had met ricky/Dicky on the Egier and there were a few more but I am bad at remembering names. Probally the same group. Were you on a Quad fish_boy? Maybe one guys name was Rob. There was a hut with a truck cap on top of it.

Grump............We'll make sure you get dinner bud. Trapper mentioned this was your stomping grounds. Quinte. Does this mean you get to fish like this all the time?

RR

Yes, Had a yellow quad on the ice. My dad and another couple of guys were out there as well. I wasn't there saturday as I had to be back at work. Been fishing with Rick and the guys since I was a kid.

Offline minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ahh memories !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Nice Pics...

Looks like all had a great time...I have been considering an ice trip to Quinte...
You just made up my mind!!!!!

nice fish!!

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:58 PM »
You sure can't go wrong minnow heading to BOQ. The fish are consistantly big form what I see. It sure helped fishing with locals.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline walleye hunters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:28 AM »
You got some nic e walleye there good Job :thumbsup:

BEEN WISHIN TO DO SOME HARD WATER FISHIN

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:23 PM »
Fish boy Rick and the guys sure have a productive spot. I remember seeing the Yellow Quad. If that's where your fishing all the time you got a prime location.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:19 PM »
Fish boy Rick and the guys sure have a productive spot. I remember seeing the Yellow Quad. If that's where your fishing all the time you got a prime location.

RR

We have fished in and around that area for years. Last year you could see where we followed the fish around the bay by the waypoints on my gps.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Nice post and pics :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Looks like a fun time ;D

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2007, 01:02 PM »

RR

Riverrat,

I'm back down on quinte for the week and we're still getting lots of fish. I'll post some pics later.

fish_boy

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:01 PM »
Really nice fish you guys caught ...thanks for sharing ...makes me wanna get back on the ice.....but it has been TOO cold !
For the last week the morning temperatures have been hovering at or below the -40 mark ..This morning it was -42 C .
Last time out , about 10 days ago, the ice was 28 inches under the shack ....prolly thicker now...time for an extention .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.