The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: How thin is too thin? Thin ice experiences?  (Read 7768 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
How thin is too thin? Thin ice experiences?
« on: Oct 22, 2012, 03:26 PM »
I feel 100% comfortable on 1.5"   (1" on ponds) of clear ice. In years past I have had excellent success on 1-4 inches for every species that swims. I beleive it has something to do with early season high dissolved oxygen levels, in a addition to having a breif overlap of the fall feedbag. I really like to know I was the 1st person to punch holes on a body of water....gives me some wierd sense of satisfaction after a month of cabin fever. And for some reason I really like to fish when angler pressure is low.

When do you hit the ice?
Have you experienced success or dissapointment on early season ice?
Have you had any thin ice scares? or funny stories?

Feel free to reply to this thread or contribute additional discussion topics. Got icefishing on the brain lately with another cold front forecasted.

So many fish, so little time.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: How thin is too thin? Thin ice experiences?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2012, 03:30 PM »
I won't fish until there's 4" or if someone has already been out there (I still check ice thickness and I walk out) early in the season. I will fish on 3" but that is usually because I started on 4" and we lost an inch due to the sun beating down on it and that's normally just around the holes.  I have experienced both success and disappointments on early ice but noticed a major difference when fishing for trout between early and late ice (caught my limit a lot quicker (with in 10min.) on first ice compared to late ice (all day)). Well my cousin went through the ice on the pond in his yard one year and when I was about 7 I had my leg go through a 8" hole. That was interesting. Other than that I've been lucky and stayed on top (knock on wood).

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2012, 03:32 PM »
I usually wait until I hear reports of 4.5"-5.5" depending on the body of water.  I pushed it a little last year first time out and got about 3/4 of the way to where I wanted to be and felt the ice crack and give under me. Turned around and heading back to where I knew the ice was thicker.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2012, 03:55 PM »
What's your life worth? For good, clear ice, DNR guidelines:

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2012, 04:21 PM »
I used to live near a slough that was waist deep at the deepest point.  I would go out on 2 inches, usually I was the first one out.  I only fished there because I knew that if I fell in, I would not go over my head.

Now I will not venture out until there is 4 inches of clear black ice.  I have a new flotation suit that I will be wearing this year. Older, wiser, deeper water, all add to more precautions taken.  The first time you fall through, may be the last time.  For me, a fish is not worth my life.  Not saying something couldn't happen at any time, but by making good choices, I try to minimize the risks.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2012, 04:22 PM »
How can anyone possibly feel 100% comfortable on an inch and a half of ice? Come on!  4" of ice is questionable on occassion, an inch and a half?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2012, 04:31 PM »
How can anyone possibly feel 100% comfortable on an inch and a half of ice? Come on!  4" of ice is questionable on occassion, an inch and a half?
Depends on where you're at, and how the ice formed.  If it's getting warm during the day, and cold at night, then yeah, 3 inches might be sketchy.  If you live where it gets cold, stays cold, and gets colder, then an inch and a half is rock solid.  Not to say that I'd travel 100s of yards from shore, but I've had more trouble on 8 or 9 inches when it starts to form pressure cracks than on 2 inches of first ice.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Ive done an inch and a half. Not gonna lie i move cautiously.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Shhhhh...........
Tu ne cede malis

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I hit the ice somewhere above 1 inch every year, mind you it has to be a good solid "cold" 1 inch and building. I spud my way out and if it gets questionable I stop or get off. I wont go on 3 inches of just below freezing ice though, I call it soft ice where the sun shining on it is melting it. You definitely need to understand what type of ice you are dealing with whenever you venture out. First ice is not for everyone, I too like to get out there before the crowds spook everything. Another thing before you all start calling me a whack job, I only venture out on areas that are less than 4 feet deep when I do the early ice bit so I am not too worried about drowning. I wait until there is 3 to 4 inches of hard ice before I go onto areas deeper than 4 feet.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2012, 05:11 PM »
you have to be crazy go out on a inch and a half :cookoo: :blink:

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2012, 07:35 PM »
   Dumb topic...wait till you have 3" and temps in the teens.   strap a 2x4 to your butt and use a spud!

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2012, 07:40 PM »
I keep a 3 inch limit on ice, I got a little daring last year and ventured out on two inches but it was shallow water. Like others have said, a fish ain't worth your life. I couldn't imagine going through and being trapped like that.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:45 PM »
3in minimum for me, got me a spud bar this year just to make sure
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:48 PM »
   Dumb topic...wait till you have 3" and temps in the teens.   strap a 2x4 to your butt and use a spud!

Just trying to spark some discussion to kick off the icefishing season. Thanks for your input....I guess.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Every level-headed man should be capable of discerning his own local "safe" ice conditions for the specific climate and body of water. There is no universal answer and no thin line between "crazy" and "safe" ice.

:tipup:
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:15 PM »
minimum im out on is 3 inches and i will wear a pfd also. i havent fallen through yet out of 5 years of ice fishing knock on wood but im still nervous about it. i had my first thin ice experience last year on a lake that froze over to 6 inches. me and my buddy were drilling along and all of a sudden he gave a big woahhh. called me over. had to be standing on less than an inch. luckily it was black. but man could i feel my heart beating.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:35 PM »
used to fish on about 2 inches of ice back in NY, but the water was always shallow, less than 4 ft.  usually always waited to 4 inches to head out to deeper waters
Don

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:42 PM »
I am with you double if its good clear hard ice I will fish it checking it with a bar as you go. If the lake has snow then 3-4 inches minimum. I have a mustang floating suit I wear early and late ice and when Im on ft peck where the methane pockets are as you know. the way I see this is if you dont feel safe dont go but it doesnt make a guy stupid or crazy if he does and by the posts on this topic seems to me that the ice back east must not form fast or clear like around here.
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:06 PM »
All I can say is if you have kids with you be extra-extra, carefull...  Good solid Ice can still have questionable spots.
olefish

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:45 PM »
Based on my experience and training as a firefighter and certified in ice rescue, going on any ice less than 4 inches is just plain foolish.  You may feel safe and have gotten lucky many times but it's just a matter of time before your luck will run out.  If you don't care about your own safety think about your loved ones and the lives and safety of the people who will be called to save you or recover your body.  NO FISH IS WORTH CHANCING ANYONE'S LIFE!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2012, 12:44 AM »
This year I going out with doublehaul if he will have me. I have some studded snow shoes. 1" is plenty and of course I will have a rabbits foot in my pocket;  RU ready haul  :woot:

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:43 AM »
4" of good ice minimum.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:08 AM »
2-3" of good clear ice will do just don't bunch up. fishing is great at first ice. she's on the way gona be here soon.  good fishin to everyone out there.

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2012, 07:07 AM »
I like 6" of ice before I'll walk out.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:10 AM »
I like to keep things simple.   If you dont fall thru, it's thick enough!

We live for early ice.  Something about being the 1st out there.

We usually beat the crowds by 3 weeks or more.

By the time they wait for 4-6 inches, the bite has slowed.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I don't believe anyone should answer without a picture of their skinny or fat but. Then we can make up our own mind if your crazy.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:15 AM »
If its shallow water then 2-3" if its not I prefer 4"
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:32 AM »
We have one of our spots named the "Thin Ice Hole". Pulled in there one day on snowmobiles and trailers and drilled a hole to find about 3" of ice. Decided that since we were there to fish. Caught some and when we decided to leave the whole area was flooded. Had a hard time getting moving, as I got going I felt the ice dropping out from under me. Luckily I kept moving and made it out safe. No picture needed, I am too fat for thin ice

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:39 AM »
2" is good for shallow water fishing I think.  It needs to be 4" for water over 4ft.  Last year we were fishin peck and we could see a wave in the ice in front of another four wheeler as he drove by.  Needless to say we moved to thicker ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.