The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tongue River Reservoir  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
Tongue River Reservoir
« on: Jan 25, 2005, 08:45 AM »
Has anyone fished TRR lately?  If so, how thicks the ice and hows the fishing?

Any info is appreciated.

Riverb8

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tongue River Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2005, 03:41 PM »
It sounded like tounge river started off slow but is picking up.  A few friends went out and caught 50 crappie a few walleye, 3 pike and a catfish.  I am not sure where they fished.  I know it was on the south end.  I am going to go out on friday to fish it for the first time on the ice.
 :tipup:

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Fished TRR yesterday.  Ice is around 7 inches and clear, with a few puddles of water here and there.  Fishing is pretty good, but spotty. Crappies are suspended in the shallows not far from shore, with the walleyes laying on the bottom in a funk.  Had to move a bit to find fish that were active. 

As always, the ice is active with methane gurgling around, and lots of cracks and pops.  A bit unnerving to some.  Unless you want to do an ice dancing exhibition (the short program), ice cleats are recommended.  :o

Probably going to try it again tomorrow.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:11 AM »
Has anyone speared TRR?  Just wondering if the waters too murky. Thanks.
Darkhouse

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Haven't seen anyone spearing.  Have seen a few guys using bows during the softwater season.  The water is crystal clear under the ice.  Muddies up during the runoff, then stays fairly clear all year.

Just got back from TRR.  Fished yesterday evening and all night.  Tried a new area for some walleyes and got skunked; had a couple hits but no hookups.  They were down there though.  Ice is pretty good - 6" or so and clear.  Was an open spot around the marina, but it froze up overnight.  Had to chip the tipups out of around 3" of ice this morning.  It got chilly last night and TRR made some ice. 

Crappies are always hitting.  Heard the pike are getting active too. I don't mess with them much though.  Supposedly it might be a bit cooler than its been.  That would be good for me.  I like ice that is thick, solid and clear.

Tight lines.

Offline Augerin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2006, 04:16 PM »
I fish Tongue heavily in spring and summer but have never ice fished it. 

Am thinking about going this weekend.  I have a little girl who loves to catch the crappie.  How are you catching them through the ice? ...Jigs, worms, minnows, anything else?   Any techniques that work particularly well?

With the cold weather the past several days, I'm guessing the ice should be safe.  Does anyone have any current info on this?

Thanks much.

Augerin

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:59 PM »
Augerin,

I haven't been down there in a couple of weeks.  Going to try tomorrow.  The weather this ice fishing season has been weird - either too warm/windy or too blasted cold.  Also, high school basketball season has heated up.

For crappies, I have always found them just South (around 50 yards or so) of Rattlesnake Point.  Fish close to shore in 15 feet of water (this is only 10 yards or so off the rocks).  Only drop your jig about 5-7 feet below the ice.  The crappie will come in from the surrounding area to inspect your offering.  If you don't have electronics, you can sight fish for these guys, as the water is crystal clear.  Genz glo worms are good.  So is just about any small jig tipped with a maggot/mealworm/part of a crawler.  Minnows always seem to work well; sometimes only a tail or head on a jig/swimming rapala/bare hook work better.  I have found that jigging is important.  This time of year, slower is better; often just dancing your jig well seal the deal.  Tipups with a live minnow are certainly worthwhile too.

I normally try for walleyes.  I figure the more crappies we eat, the more walleye fry will survive and grow large.  So I will be free with specific info that will hopefully help you catch enough for a tasty fish fry.

Tight Lines.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Went down yesterday/today.  Was surprised to see bad ice/open pools where we planned to setup.  After the cold snap of the last several days, thought the ice would be better.  The ice has deteriorated a lot from 2 weeks ago.  Heads up for all.

Went to another area and nailed the crappies through 7" of good ice for about a 2 hour slot. 

I'm drying out the shanty and likely done on the hardwater for the season (unless I head to a mountain lake I know).  Looking forward to getting the boat out from winter storage.  In the meantime, BB tourneys.   :D

Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.