New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: what waters have Mud Puppies in.  (Read 16121 times)

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what waters have Mud Puppies in.
« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:30 PM »
HELLO  OWASCO   lake trout fishermans worst enemy :laugh:... that or this warm spell
Paisley go put this jack in my creel and grab me another fat head. wait heres another !

Offline Troutman10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Caught one in Canandaigua the other day.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:22 PM »
Just pulled one up this morning on a tip-up in 20' that had caught a walleye and a pike in the same hole. Actually it was Dad that pulled it up today. We get numerous pups in the same spot every year on our traps...

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #63 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:55 PM »

My son catches them in the summer in the stream in our yard. Its spring feed and only 2 ft wide 4 inches deep. By hand or net. His personal best is 10 and 1/2 inches.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:43 PM »
My son catches them in the summer in the stream in our yard. Its spring feed and only 2 ft wide 4 inches deep. By hand or net. His personal best is 10 and 1/2 inches.

Is your son the one with the rabbit snaring video on youtube?

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #65 on: Feb 11, 2009, 05:10 AM »

Yes he is.............. No rabbits so far but he did get a nice gray squirrel. Shortened up the loop and put it on a log going up in a tree....

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 12, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Does anyone have a good recipe for mud puppy or Hellbender?

Offline mudpuppyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Oct 26, 2009, 12:56 PM »
There are some hilarious accounts of mudpuppies from old scientific literature (late 19th and early 20th century).  Below is a quote from a 1921 Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries Economic Circular by A.S. Pearse discussing the taste of mudpuppies and preparation for food. 

You need to check local regulations on mudpuppies before taking any (since they're a non-game species and subject to protection).  There's no open season on salamanders in New York.

"After reading what Wilder (1874) says about the delicious flavor of the mud-puppy, the writer fried some and at once became an enthusiastic devotee of the dish.  The meat is of fine quality and very white.  It rivals frog legs in flavor and is more desirable because it comes in larger 'packages,' the body muscles of an adult mudpuppy being more bulky than the legs of the largest frogs.

To prepare this animal for the table it should be decapitated, skinned, and eviscerated. The legs are too small to furnish much meat, but the muscular body contains considerable and is free from bones. The animal should be dipped in flour or corn meal and fried until thoroughly cooked. The meat is tough if not well done."

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:00 PM »
I see alot of them in the mohawk river as well, up by lock 12...
Oh yeah !~ We get um with worms at Lock 7  they're all over in the Mohawk.. They are nasty lil creatures
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #69 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:33 PM »
champlain has them  mostly the sourthern part
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #70 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:51 PM »
the allegheny river drainage has them from new york south including laKE ERIE    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:48 PM »
i ve caught a few in onieda

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Oct 29, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Sandy pond is where iv'e got em. Sometimes i think its the same one, keeps biting every other drop haha
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #73 on: Nov 01, 2009, 02:31 PM »
I remember 30 plus years ago when i was a kid  catching a little one ... maybe 6 inches or so while turning rocks looking for crayfish on Seneca lake .Surprisingly that's the only one i have ever seen.I have fished all over the state and never caught one or have seen another.
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:42 PM »
no salamanders can be kept acording to the new york regulation book as of this year for bait or otherwise they are all protected. i had a mudpuppy for a pet in a fish tank when i was a kid that i got out of south bay .they look alot different underwater and it learned to eat worms from my hand . had it for 2 years before i let it go. hellbenders are alot bigger and are also protected. as far as eating them the only meat is on the tail whitch is about as much as a mc frenchfry i know i've cut up a few that i got that swallowed the hook and died and used them for catfish bait. water dogs are smaller and are juvinile tiger and spotted sal. larval stage they make awsome bait but are now also protected in new york but can be bought through the mail from bait supply companies.

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:02 PM »
we have caught them in Chautauqua Lake the last couple of years.

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #76 on: Nov 08, 2009, 07:12 AM »
odly i have never caught one however I work for a company that sell thems.  we are a science supply company and due to the new york regulations we get ours from canada but out of erie.  they are native to most of the northeast including canada.  they can get up to two feet long in fact our last batch the small ones were 18 inches I do have one as a pet as well.  the necturus or mud puppy is the largest not the hell bender in this area the only salamander that gets longer is the congo eel in the atchafalaya swamp (mississippi delta) as far as food i have no idea how they taste but i know there biggest natural predators are pike and small mouth bass and when we get our shipments you should see the slashes that some of them come in with you know something big with teeth took a wack.  if anyone is interested pm me and I'll let you know when we get more to sell usually in the winter and again mid spring.
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Nov 08, 2009, 07:18 AM »
We catch them in the Genesee river.
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum