Author Topic: Best Ice fishing Boots?  (Read 21312 times)

Offline Nodie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Ice fishing Boots?
« on: Oct 07, 2009, 12:03 PM »
What are the best ice fishing boots out there? Mosty looking at insulted rubber ones as they are extremely useful on those rainy/slushy days on the ice

Thanks!

Nodie
100% Catch n' release!

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
Re: Best Ice fishing Boots?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2009, 12:18 PM »
I have been using the military "bunny" (white) and "Mickey Mouse"  (black) boots for years.  They are rubberized, have air chambers for insulation and about the thickest soles around.  You can find them for under $100 new and $50 used at army -navy surplus stores or on-line.  I have never had cold or wet feet yet.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2009, 12:37 PM »
I've have a pair of Sorel pack boots with leather uppers. Use them for deer hunting, snowmobiling, and ice fishing. Have lasted me years and are good for walking. On the rare occasion my feet do get cold, it's at the end of an all day hunt toward the end of the season.

Offline Nodie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2009, 12:39 PM »
I have been using the military "bunny" (white) and "Mickey Mouse"  (black) boots for years.  They are rubberized, have air chambers for insulation and about the thickest soles around.  You can find them for under $100 new and $50 used at army -navy surplus stores or on-line.  I have never had cold or wet feet yet.
Good luck.
Norm

Did you walk in 6-8 inches of water/slush?
100% Catch n' release!

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2009, 12:42 PM »
The boots are rubber all the way to the top so they do very well in that depth of slush.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2009, 12:43 PM »
If you're going through that much, I would get some type of rubber boots. My Rocky's could definitely take it  but if you're doing it regularly I would get rubber. It might hold up better.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Did you walk in 6-8 inches of water/slush?

I also use Micky boots..(white) and yes, I can walk through 6+" of water / slush and still have dry, warm feet.  Mine are 11" tall, so I would expect they would stay dry up to 11" But I've never tested that theory

Offline miller326

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kill'em ya grill'em
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:01 PM »
i have found that rocky makes some of the best boots out there to my opinion

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:08 PM »
My quarterly post.....

Cabelas Trans Alaskas.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I have to say Baffen. They are warmer than my cat!

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Gym Teacher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:23 PM »
MUCK BOOTS

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:27 PM »
sorel glaciers at cabelas

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Been fishing with fellas that wear all the fancy named boots, expensive mail order etc.... nothing seems to work nearly as well as white mickeys!! Dry as a ducks ass. Other boots soak up the swet or if snow/water gets in them they are done!!! Mickeys you just dump out the water, wipe them down and they are dry ready to go again!!!!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:44 PM »
I agree with the Mickeys. I have stepped through the ice along shore in the shallows  well over my boot and have it fill with water and just dump the water out and within a few minutes your foot and wet sock will be fine for the rest of the day.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:59 PM »
i have a pair of the mickeys also....... love them. not to hi-jack the subject but what type of creeper fits on theses things?

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2009, 02:07 PM »
I put HT's on them last year, but the hex head sheet metal screws kept falling out, there were worn, but i am sure i ran a 50 count box through them. I wish there were a high quality set that could be strapped to them that weren't a fortune, like the kind that you use to ice climb with, but i bet they are $250.00

http://media.rei.com/media/910817.jpg
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2009, 02:49 PM »
 LaCrosse Ice Kings. A little on the heavy side, but keep my feet warm.

Offline Nodie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2009, 03:57 PM »
I have to say Baffen. They are warmer than my cat!

(Image removed from quote.)

Doesnt water go right through the material of those kind of boots?
100% Catch n' release!

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2009, 04:08 PM »
i used my forum snowboarding boots last year, probably not the smartest thing, but they are warm and waterproof so why not
TIP-UP

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2009, 04:31 PM »
I haven't tried them all but I've have LaCrosse Ice Kings and they have  taken care of my cold feet and  are none the worse for wear with this being the start of the 4th season for them..  They have my recommendation.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2009, 05:50 PM »
LeCrosse Ice Kings here....

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:01 PM »
the cabelas inferno boots are awsome my brother has a pair, as for me can't beat rocky boots with goretex and at least 1400 grams of thinsulate

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:18 PM »
I go along with RG on the Cabelas Trans Alaskas.  They are the greatest.  Studded like RG recommends - they are absolutely unbeatable.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:21 PM »
I have a pair of Field and Stream brand with Thinsulate that I bought at Dick's for $ 47, 4 years ago. I spray the uppers with Kiwi CAMP DRI silicone every season and have yet to get cold or wet feet even with slushy walking. They are very light also, an important feature for me. I think I can run a 9.8 second 100 meter getting to a flag with them.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Oh boy, there's plenty of you guys who like the mickey boots huh?  You can keep em.  I hate them things, WAAY to heavy, and it reminds me of days gone by when I was in the Guard, freezing my ass off with the crappy cold weather gear we used to have. 

I bought the cheapest boot I could find that was a little oversized and rated for at least -100 when active, I think I spent 50 bucks.  Great boots, not so heavy I have trouble walking in snow, I think they are Ranger Boots, I've had them for 6 years now.  I think I might need new thinsulate liners though, they are about worn out.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:37 PM »
I go along with RG on the Cabelas Trans Alaskas.  They are the greatest.  Studded like RG recommends - they are absolutely unbeatable.

ditto!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:37 PM »
So far I've come to the conclusion that you really need 2 pairs of ice fishing boots. (this is what I tell my wife anyways):

One for cold "dry" days.
One for wet warmer days.

I currently have a pair of Cabelas Trans Alaska Camo boots for the cold dry days, if there's alot of dry snow or plain ice. Extremely warm and feel like a rock star Gene Simmons style as they are quite big. There is plenty of space between the bottom of your foot and the ice. Down fall is it's hard to find creepers for them. I have ice stablicers but XXL for a size 10 boot. Another flaw is even though they are gore-tex...they will leak. This is my 3rd year with them and the bottom sole glue is coming undone.
Overall I'm happy with them in cold dry conditions.

For wet weather, I have a pair of 1000 gram lacrosse Alphaburly Sport 1000G Hunting Boots and they are warm, tall for deep water, and comfortable. Downfall: this is my 3rd year and they are cracking, where just this weekend I had to put a rubber patch on a split. So far so good though. My first split so that's not too bad. Right at a flex point. My wife has the 1500 gram boot and loves them as well. (of course they haven't leaked yet either).
Overall I'm happy with these boots in wet warmer conditions.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
JIGGIN.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I have a pair of lacrosse pac boots, but for those rainey slushy spring days, I have a pair of Rocky Buckstalkers. They are a knee high rubber boot with super grippy soles, 600 or 1000 gram thinsulate, and a flexable ankle. I dont like pack boots for spring time fishing because they are WAY too warm, they weigh too much, and they dont keep the slush off my pants. When you are drilling in standing water, knee boots keep you dry. I bought 600 gram, and if the weather is warm enough for sloppy ice, my feet are never cold.

http://www.rockyboots.com/products/PopUpImage.aspx?picArray=http://72.32.151.174/ProductImages/rocky/large/7740.jpg

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:21 PM »
I like having two pair of boots for the ice too. Call me a wuss, but I've got a nice pair of LLBean boots. Dunno the make and model. :P They feel like a sneaker and they're planty warm. They're not the greatest during the spring meltdown though. I've got a pair of Sorels for those days. They are a little heavy but no conditions are uncomfortable. I've had both pair for around seven years. Alternating what I wear and when has helped them last for sure. Both are as good as new.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:24 PM »
I bought a pair of Cabela's Predator Extreme last season. I've been very happy with them as my feet never got even a bit chilly. Whether it was a cold lake, deer stand or a day of fox hunting. They were a bit different to walk in due to their size, but after a couple times out they settled in and walking is not a problem at all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.