Author Topic: perch eyes for bait  (Read 543 times)

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
perch eyes for bait
« on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:25 PM »
we all know how well they work for bait ;). went out tonight with my son in law fishing in  the rain. thought the skunk monkey was going home with us, but ended up with some perch and crappies. i cleaned the perch and put the heads in a ziplock bag in the freezer. my question is, does anyone know of a good way to keep perch eyes. i've bought chicken livers to fish for cats and frozen whats left, and when it thaws out on the next trip, it's mushy, and the small fish eat it off the hook. maybe i should freeze the eyes in water like fillets. out on the ice the trick is to catch the first perch. figure i'll take some with me to start with ;D. any ideas on keeping perch eyes for bait?

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: perch eyes for bait
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Not sure about the eyes but wrap the livers in cheese cloth and they wont break up when the midgets nibble on it.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: perch eyes for bait
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Have salted (non-iodized or canning ) and used the resulting toughened eyes for close to three years with good catches.
10 oz. plastic jar that oysters are packed in, add 3 or 4 tablespoons of salt to half bottle of clean, pure water, stir to dissolve ALL the salt.
The eyes sink so, don't fill 'til above the brine.
Separate the metal lid from the salt with a "baggy".

Good idea to take other salty snacks along and let the perch work on these.
No refrigeration needed.
Good luck & stay on top.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.