Author Topic: Magic Flies  (Read 1892 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Magic Flies
« on: Oct 04, 2009, 03:08 PM »
I've been working up perch flies for many years. I've hit on a pattern that catches perch  like you can't believe. This morning I watched 4 boats that surrounded me go fishless while I pounded the perch one after another. The fly is an accident made from stuff I had laying around the collection. I tipped them with minnows, spikes, worms, and fished them bare. I caught perch any way I fished them.

I was originally looking for a slow dropping, bead head fly to use for crappies with live bait. I fish a lot of snags and donate more than my fair share of terminal tackle to the fish gods. I first fished them yesterday. I caught crappies, bass, drum, pike, channel cats, rock bass, perch, white perch and silver bass. Worked like a charm on the crappies.

Today I went to one of my favorite perch lakes and decided to do some further testing. I was impressed....the other guys were, no doubt, depressed.

It's a simple pattern, anyone with any tying experience at all will know exactly ho to build it.

Have fun ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Magic Flies
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Sounds like you need more testing done.  Send me a few of them and I will give you my results  ;D ;D

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:15 PM »
If ya need some "testing" further west let me know.  I am willing to help ya out.
<br />

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2009, 10:41 PM »
RG, do you mind if I try tying it? And if it's ok, what materials did you use? We can trade some patterns if you want. I have a few that work pretty good too.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2009, 03:25 AM »
I may not share my honey holes for perch, but I'm happy to share these fly patterns.
There have been a few requests. I'll do a few pics tonight and post. Please tie them up and have fun. I have a few other patterns that work well too. I can't wait to try these through the ice.

I fish deep for bigguns and use a bottom sinker with 2 hooks/jigs/flies depending. I think this pattern with a light plastic bead will float and flash around quite nicely.  I think jigs can limit a minnow's action sometimes and the extra fluttering this will provide may trigger a bite from those big "lookers". It certainly turned them on in the open water.

I'm thinking of doing some larger sizes and also some "beady eyed" shrimp sort of flies. 

Fun stuff ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline wi iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hey it's sunny out!"
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2009, 06:38 AM »
That's a sweet pattern!
Ice is on the lake so we're goin' fishin'!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2009, 09:42 AM »
nice looking flies....they look like some 'crappie killers' i used to tie.....I would imagine you could use as a dropper as well...ive never done that, but plan to this year....

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Here's the recipe, Didn't have time for pics today...just got home from work a bit ago.

#6 Aberdeen
Braided Mylar piping a bit longer than the shank of the hook (I get mine at the craft store)
Floss ( I used red, chartreuse and hot pink)
Bead head of choice. (For crappie flies I use weight, for perch I use plastic)
red duck biots

-cut the mylar piping and remove the cotton core
-slide the bead on the hook to the eye
-slide the mylar piping onto the hook
-clamp the hook in your vise and pull the mylar away from the bead enough to start the floss with a few wraps directly behind the bead
-lock the floss off with a half hitch
-pinch the mylar tight behind the bead and wrap down tight
-cut 4-5 red duck biots and pinch them together
-tie in on top directly behind the bead
-build the wrap from the bead back and whip finish
-coat with head cement

RG

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Many thankx for sharing RG.
Will get back as to how Idaho perch like these.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Cool looking.
Think I will have to try them on some trout around here.

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Here's the recipe, Didn't have time for pics today...just got home from work a bit ago.

#6 Aberdeen
Braided Mylar piping a bit longer than the shank of the hook (I get mine at the craft store)
Floss ( I used red, chartreuse and hot pink)
Bead head of choice. (For crappie flies I use weight, for perch I use plastic)
red duck biots

-cut the mylar piping and remove the cotton core
-slide the bead on the hook to the eye
-slide the mylar piping onto the hook
-clamp the hook in your vise and pull the mylar away from the bead enough to start the floss with a few wraps directly behind the bead
-lock the floss off with a half hitch
-pinch the mylar tight behind the bead and wrap down tight
-cut 4-5 red duck biots and pinch them together
-tie in on top directly behind the bead
-build the wrap from the bead back and whip finish
-coat with head cement

RG

RG,  I think I'm gonna try this with varying colors of Marabou instead of Duck Biots.  The Marabou should provide a lot of action.  Also, I'll probably add some Flashabou when I drop it through the ice.

Dan
"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2009, 03:36 AM »
Recipes are only loose suggestions. ;D The only thing I've found is , less is better.

My partner and every day tester, "The Old Man" likes the chartreuse/silver bead, red biot and a pinch of squirrel tail hairs to top it off. He uses them to locate schools and then anchors on them.

I was going to buy a new vise, but after looking at hundreds of them I couldn't see any advantage over my good old universal. So I gave it to one of my breakfast buddies who's a machinist. He's making me a steel base for it and reworking the jaws a little bit to thin them down and match the faces. He said he was going to take the burrs off of all the moving parts.

Then I'm taking it into the gun shop where I smithed for a few years and polish it up. I may have my friend nickle plate it for me.  I should be back in business in a couple of days. I need to start on some scuds for the hard water. ;D

RG

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2009, 05:30 AM »
i would like to see your scuds if you wouldn't mind.

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:30 AM »
RG, I have a couple of Griffin Odessey Spider vices that I tie on.  At less than $100 these things are great.  Not to mention you get a lot for your money.  One stays on my tying bench and the other is always in my stream side kit.

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html
"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2009, 01:13 PM »
I've been working up perch flies for many years. I've hit on a pattern that catches perch  like you can't believe. This morning I watched 4 boats that surrounded me go fishless while I pounded the perch one after another. The fly is an accident made from stuff I had laying around the collection. I tipped them with minnows, spikes, worms, and fished them bare. I caught perch any way I fished them.

I was originally looking for a slow dropping, bead head fly to use for crappies with live bait. I fish a lot of snags and donate more than my fair share of terminal tackle to the fish gods. I first fished them yesterday. I caught crappies, bass, drum, pike, channel cats, rock bass, perch, white perch and silver bass. Worked like a charm on the crappies.

Today I went to one of my favorite perch lakes and decided to do some further testing. I was impressed....the other guys were, no doubt, depressed.

It's a simple pattern, anyone with any tying experience at all will know exactly ho to build it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Have fun ;D

RG
Hi,from Calgary Canada.I would love to try one of those but I dont tie flies.Any way you can send me one by mail and I would more than be happy to pay and to tell you how it works here in Calgary.If not I hope you have great success with it and let me know about the hundreds of fish you caught.Temperature in Calgary OCT 6/09 15 celcius
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2009, 01:57 PM »
i tie on a terra rotory vise i love that and it was only around fifty dollars i think

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2009, 07:44 PM »

Crystal Scuds,

RG

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing, RG
gd
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:57 PM »
RG,

Great Job on both styles.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.