The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 1st fish of 2015 season for me!  (Read 877 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
1st fish of 2015 season for me!
« on: Jan 10, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Today I got out on my home lake in crawford co,  There was some good ice to be had!  The wind exposed ice varied in thickness  some 6" thick. On the other hand just feet away in the snow covered ice was just a few inches thick and shoty.  I set 4 tip ups up to 16ft with big chubs but no takers.  After hours of no action I figured I would bare the 40+  mph winds and 7f temp and do some jigging.  My flasher bat was dead so I just started a ft of the bottom.  1st drop I caught this little perch, 1st fish of 2015 for me and also 1st fish through the ice on the entire lake.  Not a single other soul out there, and I can understand why, lol.  I was safe, spudding along the way to find good ice.  I caught 3 perch total in an hour or two right b4 dark, the other two perch where a little bigger but my camera was saying memory card error and would not take a pic.  It feels so good to hook a fish through the ice again!!!!!!! Even though they were little, finding the fish with no flasher was fun.  I think i could have snagged a few more if it was working though.  I had an awesome time,  I hope the baitshops around here get some minny's this week, I had 4 chubs in my fish tank to get me by today, but I want some fatheads or small emeralds.  I am hitting the ice early in the am as long as it is safe.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1st fish of 2015 season for me!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2015, 06:11 PM »
I still can't post pics, it worked for me one time >:( >:( >:(

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2015, 06:17 PM »
I too landed my first fish of the year,  in fact my first fish in 2 years as I was sidelined with shoulder surgery last year.  Caught 3 nice gills and 3 decent perch in about an hour and a hal . Was on a small private lake near my house.  Had 4 to 5 inches everywhere.  All fish came from the same hole using a #10 Lindy Fat Boy tipped with waxies and mouseys.  Felt good to be out despite the bitter col . Can't wait for tomorrow!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:13 PM »

Offline ditzlr79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I'm fishing I'm happy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:51 PM »
Congrats! I too caught my first fish of 2015 yesterday. A little perch but wasn't upset! Finally on the ice and catching fish! Good luck to ya and be safe!  :icefish:
There's Ice Fishing, then there's ice and fishing.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:58 PM »
I made it out again today, from 10am till dark.  I caught around 20 perch biggest being 8" most were 6-7".  The ice  wouldn't let me go deeper than 18ft. I would like to be a bit deeper. Most of the brush piles in my lake are in 20'+. I did see a mark that moved like a slab crappie but I missed em. I love my old eagle silent sixty 2, I can tell what the marks are better than my buddy's fl-8.  I guess I am just used to it.  It is really sensitive and performs well in shallow water too. My battery crapped out on me again today, I thought the unit wasn't working anymore, I switched batteries and good to go all day.  I got scared it was broken, and it is hard to find a replacement for a 30yr old flasher.  I prefer it to modern flashers for some reason, and catch more fish with it than when I use an fl-8. 

Offline pa ice 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Great first time out this AM fished a private pond and took home a limit of gills perch and a few crappie also caught a really nice largemouth.

Offline macesfurs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:00 PM »
congrats to all who  went out today and had some fun.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:43 PM »
First time out today and caught some perch ;D

Offline dbkid0486

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Congrats on the catch!

Offline anglure