The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Problem  (Read 2782 times)

Biglube

Auger Problem
« on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:17 AM »
I've got a "Jiffy" Ice-Auger with a 8" drill. The engine starts and runs fine. My problem is when I'm cutting a hole and the tip of the auger breaks water, the auger hangs-up, quits cutting. I have to back the auger out and basically Ram the spinning auger into the hole to break thru. This can't be good for the blades. I've sharpened the blades and checked the clutch, which appears to be fine. A buddy mentioned that the engine night be too lean and therefore causes a lack-of-power at this critical point of breakthru.
Anyone with suggestions on how to fix?

fishinnutinwis

Re:Auger Problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2004, 10:23 AM »
sounds like my old auger...DONT BOUNCE THE AUGER!!!...the pinion gear inthe gearbox wore out in mine at about 7-8 years and again at 15yrs-but also took out the main gear.
checking the gears is pretty simple..
remove powerhead from its base-4 bolts
then remove all the bolts holding gearbox together..seperate box-carefulkly-not to break the gasket...
replace gearlube--i use white lithium grease--others use reg gearlube..

Offline touguetugger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2004, 04:32 PM »
I've got a "Jiffy" Ice-Auger with a 8" drill. The engine starts and runs fine. My problem is when I'm cutting a hole and the tip of the auger breaks water, the auger hangs-up, quits cutting. I have to back the auger out and basically Ram the spinning auger into the hole to break thru. This can't be good for the blades. I've sharpened the blades and checked the clutch, which appears to be fine. A buddy mentioned that the engine night be too lean and therefore causes a lack-of-power at this critical point of breakthru.
Anyone with suggestions on how to fix?
try another auger bit if u have access to one before u go ripping the gears out of it if it works fine with another auger bit try sharpening the little diamond in the end by the blades it may be that is whats dull and not hte blades and it does matter if that is sharp or not

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:59 AM »
its not really an uncommon problem. good dry ice will shave easily with sharp blades, but when you hit water and softer ice, you better hang on to your auger, or you'll get your arms ripped off  ;D ;D i dont know how much ice you're cutting, but lift occassionally before you punch through. 2 feet of ice cutting mixed with water will stop the auger pretty quickly and i make sure i'm at full throttle before hitting that last little bit.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:18 AM »
It's like drilling metal, wood, or whatever else you drill, the hardest part to get through is the end. Once the bit pierces the bottom surface it tries to bite in and take what's left in one shot, which it can't, causing binding.

I suggest lifting up a little bit when it binds, then lower it back down slowly so the blades can continue taking a little at a time like they're supposed to.

In my opinion there's probably nothing wrong with the auger, it just takes getting used to how it behaves.

fishmann

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:05 PM »
I'm having the same problem with my Strikemaster, it used to cut through the bottom side w/no problem, then it started to catch. I changed the blade two years ago, no change. I've gotten used to it, but would rather have it work right. I know it's not a power or gearbox problem, if you're not careful it will badly wrench your left arm/wrist/fingers, if it catches really hard and you're at high rpms, if you let go right away the head will spin for 15 seconds as it torques down. My question is about the center point... I haven't examined it, but is it able to be sharpened and if so, how would you do it? Or is there something else I have been overlooking? I always thought that was just for keeping the auger on a straight line as it bored down. It almost seems as if the attack angle on the blade is too sharp, and when you get to the bottom side it's trying to shave off 1 full inch at one time. It cuts clean and quick from top to bottom.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:07 PM »
im with you Webguy lots of augers do this its common and very easy to deal with just like WG said pick it up take a smaller bite :'( :'(

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:44 PM »
Get a Nils Master!!! ;D ;D

fishmann

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:22 AM »
I've tried taking a smaller bite, to the point of holding the auger up and lowering it VERY slowly, trying to just shave off the ice, and it still grabs wickedly. I'm not talking about a little catch, I'm talking about throw you to the ground catch, regardless of how small a bite I take. If it was $5.95, I'd have a Nils, but since I just got a new Vexi, I doubt the better half is going to smile on the thought of a new auger.  >:(

shortrod

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:25 AM »
My ten inch catches hard at the bottom,makes for hard work.My 8 inch hand auger is just as fast.and about the same effort,easier to carry.

Biglube

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2004, 09:23 PM »
I got a response from the company that makes my auger. They're telling me that my auger is bent, thus changing the angle that the cutters meet the ice. I suspect this could be so as, I had to have the auger welded at the point where the blades are attached. I can see that the mount is slightly bent.
I'm having the same problem with my Strikemaster, it used to cut through the bottom side w/no problem, then it started to catch. I changed the blade two years ago, no change. I've gotten used to it, but would rather have it work right. I know it's not a power or gearbox problem, if you're not careful it will badly wrench your left arm/wrist/fingers, if it catches really hard and you're at high rpms, if you let go right away the head will spin for 15 seconds as it torques down. My question is about the center point... I haven't examined it, but is it able to be sharpened and if so, how would you do it? Or is there something else I have been overlooking? I always thought that was just for keeping the auger on a straight line as it bored down. It almost seems as if the attack angle on the blade is too sharp, and when you get to the bottom side it's trying to shave off 1 full inch at one time. It cuts clean and quick from top to bottom.

fishmann

« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:25 AM »
That sounds like what I'm experiencing, BigLube. I suppose I'll have to take a protractor to a store and check a new one, then compare it to mine. Thanks for the advice.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:36 AM »
I'm with Bushbunny! ;) ;D

fishmann

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:57 AM »
You buying? I'd love to, but it's winter here in Northern Minnesota, the money tree won't be in bloom till at least the middle of May, and seems I'm always out doing something else for the 45 minutes it's in full blossem.  ;D ;) ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.