The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Preference  (Read 21175 times)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:Auger Preference
« Reply #60 on: Jan 28, 2004, 04:05 AM »
It's a Tanaka engine, which are used on a lot of rental equipment, so engine parts and service are not an issue. Blades are available through a local shop or mail order.....I'm not sure what else would be needed.

pa ice man

« Reply #61 on: Jan 28, 2004, 07:34 AM »
my old eskimo 8" runs like a champ but its not lite 3 hp hevey gear box   not used my jiffy since i got it turns slower and you dont get wet driling like the jiffey

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #62 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:44 AM »
As far as power goes, I really like my Stihl...Oh wait...forget I said that! ;D

Actually, I don't have a power auger. My hand auger is an 8" Lazer. To tell you the truth, I'm not impressed with it. I guess if it was a 6"er it would be a little better, but I got it from christmas, so I'm cerainly not going to complain. Maybe its the blades? One of the blades has what appears to be a very small ding on the blade. Will Strikemaster send me a new set of blades? And how much do they cost?

Zach

maltrout

« Reply #63 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:13 AM »
Jiffy legend 3hp 10".  A bit heavy but goes through the ice very easily.  Always starts up on the first or second pull, never had a problem.

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:18 AM »
Zach - I don't think it's the blades. I have a 6 and an 8 inch Lazer. the difference between the 2 is like night and day! The 6 cuts well but the 8 is a real workout!  

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:25 AM »
I had the 8 inch Laser and used Walleye1’s 6 inch Laser, WOW what a difference.  I went out and bought the 6 inch Laser the next day.  That got swiped from my truck last year and I bought a 6 inch Nills from Tony B, even better yet!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #66 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:48 AM »
You're telling me its a workout! Man-o-man, it takes me forever to get through 12-14 inches, like I was on the other day. Can I get a 6 inch bit that will go with the handle? I've only used it a couple times, maybe I can take it back. I'll have to see, because I want to fish and without a power auger, this is just too much work.

Zach

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 28, 2004, 11:55 AM »
LOL Zach! If there's no paint chipped off of it I'll bet you could take it back. I'd certainly check into it. You'll be amazed at the difference between the 6 and 8 inch.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #68 on: Jan 28, 2004, 01:19 PM »
I really dont think it has any damage. I hope it doesn't. If not, I'm taking it back. All I really fish for anyway is panfish. I may set some tip ups for pickeral, or something, but a 6 inch should be okay for those. I never realized that an 8 inch auger removes twice as much as a 6 inch. I understand why it's so tiring to use.

Zach

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 29, 2004, 05:52 AM »
I have owned one Eskimo, and two Strikemaster's and I don't have any complaints with the 2hp Eskimo or the 2hp Strikemaster. The 3hp Strikemaster didn't impress me at all. The engine had to warm up a half hour to cut one hole. I now have a Lazer Mag Ultra three blade. It is pretty light and cuts good. The only problem I have encountered was hitting something in the ice once and it made a lawnmower out of it. It cut two holes fine and the third....phewy. After that you couldn't park an elephant on it to make it cut. I replaced the blades ($40) and I was back in business better than new. Now I carry an extra set.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 29, 2004, 11:59 AM »
Thanks for the points re: augers. I ordered a Jiffy from Cabela's, but they were out, so I ordered an eskimo 8" 2 h.p. instead, however, had heartburn if the make was as good as a Jiffy-thanks for the feedback re: you eskimo owners, sounds like I got a reliable auger coming in the mail. My strikemaster lazer has been a reliable hand auger for the past 3 years, replacement blades are pricey from the factory @ $27, however, they have a replacement blade exchange at $18, that is reasonable, and the factory gets them out ASAP.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 29, 2004, 12:10 PM »
Hey Tim, you should have checked out ThornBros.com.  I ordered my jiffy from them and they even have free shipping.  They also had very fast delivery.  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Auger Preference
« Reply #72 on: Feb 04, 2004, 02:15 PM »
Ok...I had a few friends up fishing last weekend, so we decided to have a friendly "race" between my friends 8" Jiffy Model 30 and my new 8" Nils Master. We were cutting through 24" of black ice and both augers had new blades this season.

Auger Race

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #73 on: Feb 04, 2004, 10:31 PM »
Esox, I have shown many of my friends the same out on the ice.  I have made believers of them, even the Husky guys!!

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #74 on: Feb 05, 2004, 08:50 AM »
Has anyone heard of cutting down an auger shaft a few inches? Out here in the North East we don't(very rarley get) more than 24" of ice.
My Eskimo has a 42" auger and is really not needed, I'm not that short but the thing stands a little too high for my likeing. Help! :-\
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 05, 2004, 10:24 AM »
Esox - You look like you're enjoying kicking his butt a little too much in that clip! ;) Seriously, that thing rips. I'm not surprised though. I have a hand powered Nils and its just about as fast. They're the only way to go!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #76 on: Feb 05, 2004, 11:32 AM »
Sub Zero,
I though it was too tall at first, but once I tried it onj the ice, I decided I liked it just the way it is. I'm tall 5'8" or a short 5'9". ;) ;D

Walleye 1,
We new before we started what was going to happen. I though he was only going to drill one hole, so I stopped for a few seconds after my second hole. I get a kick out of it every time I use it. I can almost run it one handed, but the torque is a little too much. NO down pressure is needed on these. Just squeeze the trigger and let er' rip. ;D ;D

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 05, 2004, 12:55 PM »
picked up a 3hp 8" jiffy yesterday for $50, changed the gas, cleaned the carb and tossed in a new plug started on the first crank, got new blades today. Gonna hit the ice in about an hour to see how it works :)

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #78 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:56 PM »
JIFFY LEGEnD 30 SERIES

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #79 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:50 PM »
To ChenBasshead:

The volume of the cylinder that is drilled into the ice is proportional to its radius squared. An 8" auger removes exactly 1.78 times the ice that a 6" does. I don't think there is a pickerel alive that would not come through a 6" hole. A 15+ pound pike, large bass or huge crappie will test this clearance. I have have only used my 8" regular Mora for all of my 16 years of ice-fishing. I am not into jigging that much and usually only drill 7 or 8 holes, so the extra work compared to a 6" is no big deal for me, even with thick ice.

In the heavily fished waters of NY, a guy might go a decade or two without hooking up with a true trophy pike of 20+ pounds. I am still waiting and hoping for this to happen. 13 pounds is my best ever. When the trophy does come along, I wouldn't forgive myself for having to cut the line because of a too small 6" hole.

Another factor is that on very cold days that you fish all day, a hole will shrink a lot from re-freezing, and you need to start with an 8" just to end up at 6".
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline friendly fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keeping the fish on the line
« Reply #80 on: Feb 06, 2004, 09:52 AM »
I myself have a home made six inch auger that is electric I found that gas powered was to expensive for me as I am new to the sport so I came up with my own design for an electric auger I use a starter moter and go directly from my battery on the truck it is a great set up and I can move any where I want it only takes a few minutes to dig a hole thu 2 feet of ice better than hand balming one any day

pa ice man

« Reply #81 on: Feb 06, 2004, 02:30 PM »
whare can i get one that kicks but ;D

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #82 on: Feb 07, 2004, 06:39 AM »
Thanks Esox,
I'm 5'8" also so you know what I'm talking about. I think I'll leave well enough alone -Thanks Again.
Sub Zero,
I though it was too tall at first, but once I tried it onj the ice, I decided I liked it just the way it is. I'm tall 5'8" or a short 5'9". ;) ;D

Walleye 1,
We new before we started what was going to happen. I though he was only going to drill one hole, so I stopped for a few seconds after my second hole. I get a kick out of it every time I use it. I can almost run it one handed, but the torque is a little too much. NO down pressure is needed on these. Just squeeze the trigger and let er' rip. ;D ;D
People think we're crazy but we know better!

maine-ly backward

« Reply #83 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:19 AM »
dfuller...that's all well and good, but can you tell me why the number of fish caught is usually inversely proportional to the number of beers consumed?

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 07, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Strikemaster Laser Mag 2hp just showed up via Fed Ex.

3rd pull and it was purring like a kitten, going to test it out now.

Full report in 30 min or so.

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 07, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Sweet!!  this thing burned through 14 inches of ice in 10 seconds. I didn't even have to lean on it, it just sank into the ice. All I had to do was keep it from spinning me around.

I have been using a 35 pound 3hp monster all my life. This new one weighs 25.7 pounds with a full tank and will embarress my old one.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #86 on: Feb 07, 2004, 08:14 PM »
Not bad.....Wanna race? ;) ;D  Mine does 24" in about 9 seconds. ;D

Is that the Laser Mag Express???

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:21 AM »
Just got my Strikemaster lazer 12000 dp. ELECTRIC... used it saturday and got over 20 holes before it slowed down. I live in an apartment building so a gas auger was out of the question. Gonna give it another work out today and see if i learned anything sat. Kind of heavy too, but cuts real nice. I read thru all the posts and i didn't see anybody else using one. Is there a reason for that or is it because it's so expensive? I would rather have the 3 hp model but my living arrangements dictated otherwise. Cant store a gas auger in my apt. Anybody know anything about these augers?

MCfishnut

« Reply #88 on: Feb 08, 2004, 11:32 AM »
The first thing I grab is my 8" strikemaster when I head out the door for a day of ice fishing.  ;D

MCfishnutt

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Feb 08, 2004, 02:46 PM »
To all,

This is not meant to be attacking!!!  I have always thought this thread to be arbitrary.  After reading some posts though I did come up with an answer;  A SHARP ONE!!!!!!!!!!!  There is no better auger than a sharp one.  I have had ocassion to use dull bladed augers and it didn't matter how big or small,  it sahocks. :(  My wife got me a 7" Mora for Christmas of which I was very slightly disappointed that it wasn't a 6".  My disappointment was quickly lost when I got a pair of replacement blades.  She knows nothing about ice fishing, but she knows to have sharp blades. ;D

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.