The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Auger Help!  (Read 3576 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Jiffy Auger Help!
« on: Feb 10, 2003, 05:39 AM »
My friend and I have been using an older model jiffy auger, all I know is that it is 8in. Recently, something terribly wrong is going on and the engine runs absolutely fine but the blade stopped turning. It does not end there, we had another jiffy loaned to us and only a couple of years old and on the last hole the same thing began to happen. Is it a bearing or clutch and how do you fix it, and is there a way to prevent this. eg. drilling technique? Thanks for any suggestions
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re: Jiffy Auger Help!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2003, 08:21 PM »
Does the auger turn when you rev it and it is not under load?        

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2003, 04:58 AM »
It barely turns when reved up and as soon as pressure is applied it quits turning. We have been drilling 28in of ice here in vermont. Im new to hardwater fishin so I do not know too much.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2003, 06:01 PM »
The clutch is probably screwed.  Either take it to your dealer and have him do the work, or tear it apart yourself and learn how to do it yourself.  Take it apart, check it out, and repair it yourself.  It is a learning experience.  Go on the inet and find the the manual and fix it yourself..It is really hard to screw up.

1_Pappy

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2003, 04:47 AM »
Could be the set screw that holds the blade shaft to the crankshaft could be loose or stripped.

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2003, 12:32 PM »
it may also be the clutch drum itself. part #1639. that set screw is to long to strip.it'ssockethead capscrew.could also be the pinion gear if there is no gear greese in the housing you could have smoked it up. what ever it is it can be reparied. like bushbunny said take it to a dealer.(realy)don't go back to a chisel
walk the hard water side.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2003, 06:57 AM »
Thanks for all the info. Called jiffy and they said the same things you guys said. They have been gettin a lot of calls recently. I guess the ice has been harsh this year. Its over 28in here in Vermont. Guess I could pull the ol spoon out for a while until parts come in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.