Author Topic: Ventilation w/ sunflower ???  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Conesus_Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
Ventilation w/ sunflower ???
« on: Dec 31, 2008, 03:47 PM »
Hi all,

I've been ice fishing for years, but never in a shanty w/ heater.  I just picked up a Frabill Outback, and was thinking about using a sunflower heater.  I was reading the side of the heater box in the store, and it said not to use it in enclosed spaces, blah blah blah.  How much ventilation is required to run one of these in your portable shanty?  I don't want to fire it up and go to the deep sleep!

thanks!

Scott
Scott

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ventilation w/ sunflower ???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:03 PM »
Use some ventilation for sure.  A little story......my buddy and I were fishing one night and having a few beers.  We were fishing in a zip up portable (Shappel) and had the doors completely closed.  I went to light a smoke with a match and it instantly went out; i tried again and the next match went out.  We looked at each other and realized we did not have enough oxygen in the shack to light a match.  Close encounter, but we pulled through, needless to say we have not made that mistake again.  We now zip the top of our doors (on both sides) open about 10 inches or so.  You get cross ventilation that way.

Offline THEFLAGMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2009, 01:20 PM »
you need some ventilation so you don't die, as long ans you not completely zipped up like Knoodles was you should be fine

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Use some ventilation for sure.  A little story......my buddy and I were fishing one night and having a few beers.  We were fishing in a zip up portable (Shappel) and had the doors completely closed.  I went to light a smoke with a match and it instantly went out; i tried again and the next match went out.  We looked at each other and realized we did not have enough oxygen in the shack to light a match.  Close encounter, but we pulled through, needless to say we have not made that mistake again.  We now zip the top of our doors (on both sides) open about 10 inches or so.  You get cross ventilation that way.

It was probably the wobbly pops just makin ya feel whooosey

Offline jiggleystickens

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:48 PM »
You definately want ventilation....though a sunflower heater in that small a space will have you opening up a door or window/vent very quickly. I used a sunflower in my fish trap voyager for over 10 years and it kicks out a lot of heat.  Make sure you poke your head out the door for a few minutes every hour for sure. Let your house cool down and get some fresh air in there...or take a short walk and stretch your legs. Either way get some fresh air once in a while.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.