Author Topic: Various Slammers  (Read 2210 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Various Slammers
« on: Oct 27, 2008, 04:25 PM »
In the new ice guide there is a small article about the various slammers on the market, I have both the "automatic fisherman" and the "arctic warrior", but cant say Im a huge fan of either...who else uses a slammer product when on the ice and what kind of success have you had.

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
Re: Various Slammers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Junky, I built my own slammer a couple years ago from pics I found online... it worked well on the 'eyes if they weren't being overly finicky... I used a 5' ultralight pannie rod and set it up real lightly and walked away slooowwlly... must've caught 25 'eyes on it that year... it nearly took my own eye out on several occasions so I retired it, LOL.

Don

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2008, 09:45 PM »
i don't have my copy of the mag in front of me but which one is the one that looks like a regular tip-up with the spring loaded spindle that slams up-wards when the fish takes the bait?
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:20 AM »
i don't have my copy of the mag in front of me but which one is the one that looks like a regular tip-up with the spring loaded spindle that slams up-wards when the fish takes the bait?

Hookset Tipup
http://hooksettipup.com/
I gotta chubby

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2008, 11:50 AM »
yeah thats the one...has anyone used it yet?
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2008, 12:26 PM »
yeah thats the one...has anyone used it yet?
At that price I'll want to see some reviews on IS from you guys.  I would have to see it to believe it with N. Pike.  Been my experience that pike come up, grab the bait and run a short distance before "dining"; during that initial run it is very easy to take the bait and lure back from the pike.  Done it many times.
Might be worth a try though.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2008, 02:54 PM »
i've never fished pike but thats what we do for pickeral. i think it would work well for bass too... i'm definitely going to wait for a review from a person that isn't getting paid to say it is awesome before i invest in it...

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2008, 02:59 PM »
I think my fav in the article is the "ice rigger" looks like the easiest to set-up, no hookset but a nice way to go from tip-up tp rod...the arctic warrior is junk, who wants to velcro a peice of metal onto your rod to set-up, very easy trigger as well...

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2008, 03:06 PM »
i agree that the arctic warrior looks liek junk..i'm still an either or type of ice fisher...meaning i either want to jig the rod or hand line the tipup...we could always get one the Nature Visions automatic jig-ups or whatever they were called....i hear it is a fine piece of craftsmanship....  ;D

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2008, 08:35 PM »
That Ice Rigger does look interesting!  Looks like you could build one for way less than 24 bucks!

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I don't mind the Arctic Warrior that much I use a baitcaster ice rod and reel on it so the velcro'ed hanger isn't TOO bad. Was looking at the Automatic Fisherman, just not too sure about it though. I do like being able to use a rod and reel though over handlining it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.